Author Topic: Help me decide  (Read 1496 times)

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
Help me decide
« on: Sep 20, 2019, 10:34 AM »
I can’t make up my mind between the Eskimo wide 1 inferno and the Eskimo Sierra thermal. Is one more easily set up than the other? Is 20 pounds heavier going to break me if I decide to not use the snowmobile to pull it? One more rugged or versatile than the other? PLEASE HELP
Thank you in advance for any help!!!
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Help me decide
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2019, 10:44 AM »
If you’re pulling by hand, the terrain determines your level of exertion. Pulling an extra twenty pounds uphill, or through knee-deep slush can make a huge difference.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2019, 10:51 AM »
Good point. Though if I’m pulling in slush, minus 20lbs will still kick my @$$ after 50 yards 😬

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2019, 10:56 AM »
My biggest mistake when i bought my flipover was going for the bells and whistles/ size and height rather than looking at weight. My advice for anyone is stay light. Im healthy and in good shape but I walk a ways if the ice isnt ready for the machines.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2019, 10:59 AM »
I typically use this when the ice is thin.  ;D

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2019, 12:29 PM »
Are you planning on using the Sierra as a one man? Most of the weight is in the seats, you can remove one, I think its just a couple of pins to remove. My buddy has the Sierra, I helped him assemble it a couple seasons ago so I got a real good look at it. It's pretty nice, only complaint I had, and this is minor, is that the seats themselves sit a little bit lower than I'd like. Otherwise, its a good flip over, nicer than I though it would be considering the price.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2019, 07:12 PM »
Thanks so much everyone for the help. I think I’m gonna roll the dice on the Sierra.
God Bless!

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2019, 08:52 AM »
I have an old clam Guide that I just replaced the tent with a thermal one.

This was the smallest two-man flip over made at the time.

I only installed one seat centered on the tub.

Now I have a large one-man with room for all my gear. Without the second seat, it's not a lot heavier than a typical one-man.

But loaded with gear it can be on the heavy side, especially since I pull it by hand.

Now comes in the amazing advantages of using a Smitty Sled.

I've found that the best fishing is not always right off the boat launch :) So I have often pulled this up to a mile or so with no issues.

I used downhill skis to build my Smitty Sled and keep the skis waxed with Swix. I also keep an extra bar of wax in the shanty for touch-ups.

Of course, when the snow and slush are too deep to walk through I've seen guys use snowshoes with a pop-up strapped their backpacks.

Good Luck All  :tipup:

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2019, 12:39 PM »
I have an old clam Guide that I just replaced the tent with a thermal one.

This was the smallest two-man flip over made at the time.

I only installed one seat centered on the tub.

Now I have a large one-man with room for all my gear. Without the second seat, it's not a lot heavier than a typical one-man.

But loaded with gear it can be on the heavy side, especially since I pull it by hand.

Now comes in the amazing advantages of using a Smitty Sled.

I've found that the best fishing is not always right off the boat launch :) So I have often pulled this up to a mile or so with no issues.

I used downhill skis to build my Smitty Sled and keep the skis waxed with Swix. I also keep an extra bar of wax in the shanty for touch-ups.

Of course, when the snow and slush are too deep to walk through I've seen guys use snowshoes with a pop-up strapped their backpacks.

Good Luck All  :tipup:

Awesome Joe! If you see a malamute or husky pulling a sled before it’s safe to snowmobile on long lake or lake Leelanau stop by!
Cold cant get here quick enough. I’m tired of working 90+ hours a week and can’t wait to try my new shack out. Hopefully Elmer’s lets me go back to 40-50 hours (make my own schedule) this winter!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2019, 12:52 PM »
I can’t make up my mind between the Eskimo wide 1 inferno and the Eskimo Sierra thermal. Is one more easily set up than the other? Is 20 pounds heavier going to break me if I decide to not use the snowmobile to pull it? One more rugged or versatile than the other? PLEASE HELP
Thank you in advance for any help!!!

I don't know if you realize this or not but the Eskimo Wide1 Inferno is a one person shelter and the Sierra Thermal is a two person shelter. 

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2019, 01:20 PM »
I'd go with the Sierra

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2019, 03:26 PM »
Not sure about those two models but lighter is better, the reason this year I am getting a therm hideout out over my them otter cabin. And a big thing ive found is especially in a 1 man is the poles, your prolly going to want ridged poles instead of telescoping unless you like making noise when sneaking up on the elusive eyes as I like to try. Either way I prefer an otter after using one for a number of years but those are the things I would look at in a flip.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2019, 07:21 PM »
Lighter is nice but there's definitely going to be a weight difference when you compare a one man and two man shelter.  No matter which he goes with I'd suggest he builds a Smitty Sled for it which will make the pull a lot easier.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #13 on: Sep 21, 2019, 07:52 PM »
Throw a Smitty sled under it.....it will make your life a whole lot easier
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 22, 2019, 05:17 PM »
Awesome Joe! If you see a malamute or husky pulling a sled before it’s safe to snowmobile on long lake or lake Leelanau stop by!
Cold cant get here quick enough. I’m tired of working 90+ hours a week and can’t wait to try my new shack out. Hopefully Elmer’s lets me go back to 40-50 hours (make my own schedule) this winter!
Sled Dogs are great, I will look for you early ice.

Last fall I saw a guy with a dog sled rigged up with wheels on it taking his dogs out for a run down by the library. It was very cool, he said it was preseason to get his team ready.

Good Luck All :tipup: 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.