Author Topic: Garmin striker  (Read 2628 times)

Offline ice fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Garmin striker
« on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Any in put on Garmin striker 4  . I don't have 600 plus for a vexilar  .

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Garmin striker
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:35 AM »
It's a great unit, check Hodges marine, was on sale there for 169 with free shipping.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:10 AM »
Good little basic unit... picked one up in January for when outside the shack. Does everything its supposed to. The transducer setup is a little bulky but for around $150-$175 its a tough unit to beat.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2019, 11:01 AM »
Works great on a boat, never used it on the ice

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2019, 11:04 AM »
They are good units, have one that is a back up on the boat and I use it on the ice. Marks well user friendly.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2019, 11:10 AM »
check out the reviews on the Electronics archives.  Lots of good reviews on the portable model, but it seems that for best results you need the ice fishing transducer that is sold separately. Probably still the best buy since it works both soft and hard water.

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2019, 01:49 PM »
Do it

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2019, 02:05 PM »
The Striker 4 was out of stock when I bought so I went with the 5. Very happy with it after one year of use. I bought the ice transducer so I could leave the other one mounted on my boat, but the standard transducer works fine for ice fishing as long as you can keep it level. The ice ducer is easier to use though. I'd never used a flasher before but now can't imagine not using one. I mounted it to an old 6-pack sized cooler that holds a 12 amp hour battery with enough room leftover for the cables and transducer. The silver broom handle clip holds the transducer cable at the length I need it at using the rubber stopper that came with the Garmin.

The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline Gondolarides

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2019, 02:32 PM »
Any in put on Garmin striker 4  . I don't have 600 plus for a vexilar  .
Check out gpscity.com.  I just got one refurbished for 85 bucks

Offline ice fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:44 PM »
Thanks all  for your help

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2019, 05:29 AM »
I purchased the Garmin Striker Plus 5 ice
Real nice package and very accurate

I like the flasher and watching fish chasing your jig is a blast. The flasher has improved my hookup rate on lake trout

It was a bit pricy, but I will be using it on my kayak as well (justification of the Christmas present I purchased for myself).
 I just needed to purchase the open water transducer
John

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2019, 05:08 PM »
I have mine set up in a soft cooler bag and it works great
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2019, 05:08 PM »

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2019, 11:34 AM »
I ran a striker 4 for a while and had no problem with that setup at all.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2019, 11:47 AM »
Nope, I love it, bought it for my son as a extra, love the GPS it's very accurate. Nice unit for the money.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2019, 08:27 AM »
It's a great unit, check Hodges marine, was on sale there for 169 with free shipping.

$169, did you get a Garmin Striker 4 or Garmin Striker Plus 4. If you got a Garmin Striker plus 4 I don't think it has a flasher only the standard Garmin Striker 4 has the flasher. At least that's what I found researching, I'm updating my 20 yr old boat locator.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Silljer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2019, 12:40 PM »
The Garmin striker plus 4 has everything the original striker 4 has to offer. The big differences are a slightly bigger screen size, the ability to make your own contour maps, as well as  chirp capabilities with the proper transducer.

Offline perch_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2019, 01:31 PM »
buy it
I hate my username. I made it when I was 14 and I dont know how to change it.

Offline robert.d12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2019, 08:50 PM »
I've used one, workswell for me up to 60ft of water. Never tried it any deeper.  They have a pretty small screen

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2019, 09:33 PM »

Fished 16.8 fow n its a great unit but has a little delay n screen is little to small when standing but besides that great practical unit.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline djboston

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2019, 08:18 AM »
Have you ever tried going to Vexilars site. They have a reconditioned page where the sell reconditioned units much cheaper. I bought two of them a couple years ago from there. I got a FL8 and a FL28. (One for my son and one for me of course). I couldn’t be more happy. Right now they have a FL8 for $250. Buying direct from the manufacturer is always good.

Offline otoro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2020, 01:19 PM »
I've used one, workswell for me up to 60ft of water. Never tried it any deeper.  They have a pretty small screen

I have a striker 4, I got the package deal for $99 on amazon.
I been poking around, but can only seem to find the 'ice fishing transducer' for over $100 - which I'm not sure is a good price, considering its more than I paid for my original striker 4 setup.

how difficult is it to keep the original transducer level?

anybody know if the ice transducer gets any cheaper than $100 or if some other transducers for ice fishing will fit the Garmin 4 pin form factor?

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2020, 02:04 PM »
I saw a guy fishing with the regular transducer once and the picture looked fairly normal. I think I remember he had a board and pool noodle attached to help keep it level. It's probably not that hard to keep level. There's even a guy that sells 3D printed levelers on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Striker-4-Transducer-Leveler-For-Ice-Fishing/362867018051?hash=item547c8f4943:g:1wQAAOSwhs1eCkm3

Offline White Pine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2020, 02:25 PM »
Hi guys, little off topic but should be close. I have a friend looking for a unit for ice and softwater. he is looking at the Garmin Echomap Pius  63cv Ice Fishing Bundle. I'm a Hummingbird guy but that unit looks good and is a good price. any advice would help. Also fish report yesterday small southern NH lake looking for crappie and WP, slow day 4 small crappie 1 WP about 1 foot of good ice. looked like a lot of people had fished already so may have played into the slow day. Thanks for your help and good luck.

Offline KP-FISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2020, 02:40 PM »

I have a striker 4, I got the package deal for $99 on amazon.
I been poking around, but can only seem to find the 'ice fishing transducer' for over $100 - which I'm not sure is a good price, considering its more than I paid for my original striker 4 setup.

how difficult is it to keep the original transducer level?

anybody know if the ice transducer gets any cheaper than $100 or if some other transducers for ice fishing will fit the Garmin 4 pin form factor?

I have had the striker 4 for 3 years now and it works excellent for me. Picked it up for 99$ and mounted it to an old small cooler. Also mounted the transducer to a stick of 1/2" pvc pipe with a piece of pipe insulation on the top. Stays level and reads perfectly every time. I made the pvc just long enough so I can store the ducer, unit, battery and cords inside cooler during transport. Can be used as a flasher or standard graph style. I have mine focused on the bottom 10ft on the left side of the screen, and the whole water column on the right. Works great for laker fishing.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2020, 02:59 PM »
I've got a Striker 4 I use for hole hopping outside of the shack away from my Humminbird.. This is the setup that came with my ice bundle striker 4... It works although it's pretty bulky and cumbersome, but it works for what I use it for. The instructions tell you to tie a knot with your ducer cable to keep it from slipping through the float, that was clearly a dumb idea so I just put a plastic cap with a slit cut in it on the end of the float to hold the float position.

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline otoro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2020, 06:54 AM »
I have had the striker 4 for 3 years now and it works excellent for me. Picked it up for 99$ and mounted it to an old small cooler. Also mounted the transducer to a stick of 1/2" pvc pipe with a piece of pipe insulation on the top. Stays level and reads perfectly every time. I made the pvc just long enough so I can store the ducer, unit, battery and cords inside cooler during transport. Can be used as a flasher or standard graph style. I have mine focused on the bottom 10ft on the left side of the screen, and the whole water column on the right. Works great for laker fishing.

perfect. I'm probably going to try something like this, but may pickup a secondary normal transducer, since they are $59. I even have a small cooler I can dedicate to this project 😊. My other transducer is in a semi permanent mount in my kayak, don't want to rip it out.

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2020, 12:59 PM »
I have the Garmin Striker 5 cv and I am very happy with the unit.

Last season I started experiencing trouble with my ice transducer it stopped registering. The unit is reading connected but not transmitting. I do not have any gouges or splits/tears in the wire visible through the rubber coating and am guess it is in the transducer cone itself. I did let multiple people borrow it last year and witnessed it being dragged from hole to hole through the snow. Could this have done it? Or has anyone else experienced this problem? I have also restored the finder to factory setting the way it has always operated with no luck registering depth or temperature.  Probably time for a new ice transducer for $110 but I may be upgrading to the striker model with lake maps if that is the case.
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.