The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Locating Lakers  (Read 2744 times)

Offline spb802

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If it's cold I'm on the hard water...
Locating Lakers
« on: Mar 05, 2019, 04:44 PM »
Hey Everyone,

So I’m not looking, or expecting for that matter, for personal hot spots but I’m new to the Laker game and was looking for tips on locating areas of higher probability to connect with a laker through the ice. I’m all for putting in the leg work, I just need a starting point. Feel free to PM me, I do a lot of Perch and Flat fishing... trying something new... thanks in advance.
My passion for fishing and hunting, I owe to my Father and Uncle Art. RIP Art Rye, I will cherish all the days on the hard water we spent together and all the days in the woods. Miss you...

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Locating Lakers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2019, 05:25 PM »
Navionics! That’s all you need... look for humps that are near deep water. Lakers love rocky humps this time of year.

Offline Hfbckhntr21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2019, 06:55 PM »
Navionics! That’s all you need... look for humps that are near deep water. Lakers love rocky humps this time of year.

I second what keithm87 said.  He is one of the better lake trout fisherman I know, so if you pull up some of his posts, you will learn a lot.

Offline spb802

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If it's cold I'm on the hard water...
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:02 AM »
Thanks, what’s a good day on the ice look like when you’re hunting Lakers, get a couple hookups? Frequency on seeing fish on my flasher? Novice to this game trying to absorb as much info as possible...
My passion for fishing and hunting, I owe to my Father and Uncle Art. RIP Art Rye, I will cherish all the days on the hard water we spent together and all the days in the woods. Miss you...

Offline Island_Viking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2019, 07:54 PM »
Thanks, what’s a good day on the ice look like when you’re hunting Lakers, get a couple hookups? Frequency on seeing fish on my flasher? Novice to this game trying to absorb as much info as possible...

Fellow novice here! I mainly looked at maps to find deeper water, 60+ and then any reefs, humps or shorelines that were within close proximity. Also, with some help from this forum, got an idea of what depth I should be fishing. Armed with this info I did some fishing of my own and found that most of the fish I have caught were in 25 fow or less. Like what was mentioned before, humps and reefs are where they are cruising to find food. Spread you tip ups, or jump holes if you are jigging until you get results at certain depth and try to replicate that along the reef/hump. One thing I've realized is dont be afraid to go shallow. I caught two fish in 6 fow on top of the reef.

I hope this is helpful. Just find some likely spots on a bathymetry map and get after it!

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2019, 04:28 AM »
the lakers this time of the year are scattered and following alewifes and smelt. the key is to find the alewifes and smelt.  the humps work fine as long as there is forage there but one hump that was fished recentely had no forage and no lakers. the team of 3 never marked any lakers and no forage. next day went down on a flat 1/8 mile south and pounded the lakers spitting out 2 inch alewifes. they also did the best on tip ups with hunts.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2019, 07:42 AM »
X2 Fishy - lakers relate to food, smelt, alewives, etc find the food and lakers should be nearby.
Champlain, Magog, Willy all fish the same way. Good electronics help to pinpoint the bait fish.
Then its a matter of presentation, lure color, size, etc

Offline LakerTim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2019, 03:56 PM »
Well we went and made a day trip to Button Bay Thursday. Had tipups scattered everywhere all over hump, out deep, and in shallow. Not a flag all day. We had an alewife float in a hole, was rather interesting. Didnt do a whole lot of jigging. Didnt look like alot of action anywhere. Just figured id make a little update and let ya know before the big day tomorrow. Took a trip to shelburne bay today just to check it out. Probably head there in the morning. Good luck everyone and be safe!

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2019, 12:02 AM »
Go to caspian plenty of lakers there you trade quality for quantity though
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline David Vadnais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My passion?ICE FISHING
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2019, 12:48 PM »
Well we went and made a day trip to Button Bay Thursday. Had tipups scattered everywhere all over hump, out deep, and in shallow. Not a flag all day. We had an alewife float in a hole, was rather interesting. Didnt do a whole lot of jigging. Didnt look like alot of action anywhere. Just figured id make a little update and let ya know before the big day tomorrow. Took a trip to shelburne bay today just to check it out. Probably head there in the morning. Good luck everyone and be safe!

Yesterday I was at Button bay. It was my first time to fish laker on Champlain. I tried 3 differents humps around Button bay. Not a flag all day. Had tipups scattered everywhere all over hump, out deep, and in shallow.
No action on my  Vex flx-28.

2:30 with my truck and my triller..
But I liked my trip in Vermont.

David Vadnais

Offline Island_Viking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Yesterday I was at Button bay. It was my first time to fish laker on Champlain. I tried 3 differents humps around Button bay. Not a flag all day. Had tipups scattered everywhere all over hump, out deep, and in shallow.

I think it may have just been the day. 2 hrs north and I got skunked looking for lakers as well.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2019, 03:51 PM »

Sorry you got skunked. Did you try jigging? I find it much more effective than using tip ups for lakers, and having a finder allows to to abandon spots where they aren't, just like we did yesterday after fishing a spot on the NY side. Left midday, and my friends and I managed to salvage the day with 5 lakers off of Proctor Shoal.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2019, 05:07 PM »

Dave, Don't feel bad we were skunked on Willoughby as well! :)

Offline David Vadnais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My passion?ICE FISHING
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2019, 12:00 AM »
I think it may have just been the day. 2 hrs north and I got skunked looking for lakers as well.

Maybe Island_viking! 👍🏻
David Vadnais

Offline David Vadnais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My passion?ICE FISHING
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2019, 11:24 AM »
Sorry you got skunked. Did you try jigging? I find it much more effective than using tip ups for lakers, and having a finder allows to to abandon spots where they aren't, just like we did yesterday after fishing a spot on the NY side. Left midday, and my friends and I managed to salvage the day with 5 lakers off of Proctor Shoal.

Yes Thefishingwheaterman.
I tried jigging all day with tip ups.
I used White tube and Buck tail.
Wow 5 lakers! 👍🏻
David Vadnais

Offline David Vadnais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My passion?ICE FISHING
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2019, 11:30 AM »

Fishingidjit,
Thanks for your support lol
Willoughby is a beautiful lake. Last year I fished it. I got 1 laker of 19" on tip up.
I liked it! 👍🏻😉
David Vadnais

Offline Island_Viking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:58 PM »
I did do some jigging. I didn't move too much but fished from 15- 40 fow. I have a flasher and did have one mark come in but didn't chase.

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Go to outer Mallets Bay. You'll always catch a laker there. The place is loaded with trophy's in the winter.

Offline Milfoil_Hunter_VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2019, 09:36 PM »
Haha I’ve fished there twice this year and haven’t caught or seen one caught. If it was only that easy

Offline David Vadnais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My passion?ICE FISHING
« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2019, 11:30 PM »
Go to outer Mallets Bay. You'll always catch a laker there. The place is loaded with trophy's in the winter.

My friend got a lot of lakers in the mouth
to the output of Mallets Bay with his boat. In open water in April. But in winter I did'nt try Mallets bay for laker.
Maybe to try next winter!
I look forward to catch my first laker on Champlain. 👍🏻
David Vadnais

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.