Author Topic: Still better than a good day of work.....  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Still better than a good day of work.....
« on: Mar 03, 2019, 03:57 PM »
I was already running late(ish) as I had to make a dump run before fishing.

I went to a place I hadn't fished in a while, and it looked like the road in was plowed out. It was....until about 50 feet in. Apparently I hadn't been the only dumba$$ to try it, though.

I'm all in now, I thought, and continued my white knuckle ride to the turn around, at which point I knew there was no cranking the wheel and keeping momentum (at least a foot of snow, some hard layers, some soft), so I stopped and did some shoveling. FYI, skid plate marks on the snow look similar to a jet sled trail.  ;)

After clearing out a turn around, I got stuck on a hill on the roadway out. Agghhh! lol

2 1/2 hours later, I was fishing someplace else, but my rear end was wet so I didn't last long. No fish, but it was sunny and warm, and still better than a good day at work.

Go ahead and laugh at me. I'm too tired to argue.  :)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Still better than a good day of work.....
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2019, 05:24 PM »

I went to a place I hadn't fished in a while, and it looked like the road in was plowed out. It was....until about 50 feet in. Apparently I hadn't been the only dumba$$ to try it, though.

I'm all in now, I thought, and continued my white knuckle ride to the turn around, at which point I knew there was no cranking the wheel and keeping momentum (at least a foot of snow, some hard layers, some soft), so I stopped and did some shoveling. FYI, skid plate marks on the snow look similar to a jet sled trail.  ;)

After clearing out a turn around, I got stuck on a hill on the roadway out. Agghhh! lol

2 1/2 hours later, I was fishing someplace else, but my rear end was wet so I didn't last long. No fish, but it was sunny and warm, and still better than a good day at work.

We call it recycling center not dump.  ::)  Wet rear end the truck or you?  ??? We would never laugh at you.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2019, 05:29 PM »
Both me and the truck! lol
I think I may have scraped some of the road salt off the old girl.

Yeah, they try to call it a transfer station or a recycling center, but we all know it's a dump.  :)

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:11 PM »
No laughing here...I’ve pulled stunts like that too...it’s good you were able to get your self out and salavage the day to fish
Dump sounds way better than recycling center or transfer station
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:24 PM »
No laughing here...I’ve pulled stunts like that too...it’s good you were able to get your self out and salavage the day to fish
Dump sounds way better than recycling center or transfer station

I would like to think that it's our stellar driving skills that get us unstuck.
Yeah, let's go with that.  ;D

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:40 PM »
If you call it a recycling center than we'd have to assume you don't drive a truck more of a Mercedes SUV and you have someone to drill your holes :woot:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2019, 04:24 AM »

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup:

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2019, 06:04 AM »

fishingidjit congrats on your 2000 post.  :thumbsup:

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2019, 08:12 AM »

no ones laughing, at least you tried... A++++ for effort.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2019, 08:26 AM »
If that's better than a good day at work, get a better job
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:32 AM »
I would like to think that it's our stellar driving skills that get us unstuck.
Yeah, let's go with that.  ;D

LOL. Ok 🤣👍🏻
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline bassboat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:50 AM »
Good effort! Transfer station is where you catch hell for shooting rats nowadays :)

Offline IceFishFreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:55 AM »
LOL. Ok 🤣👍🏻

i hear that saying all the time.  The days I burn a vacation day and the fishing went down the crapper...I don't always agree a with "a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work".

I been there many times and a few hundred dollars is better than a bad day fishing.  With a family, kids, sports,  limited time......those vacation days for fishing sure do feel great when it works out.  The days fishing sucks,  it hurts.  That's fishing though, and putting in time is key.  I just hate that "saying"

I can deal with a bad hunting days way easier than taking vacation for fishing and it not work out.  I can fish 365 days a year.  Bow hunting not so much.  Bow hunting 90% of the time is slow or not what your looking for but typically always enjoyable regardless of action or weather.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2019, 01:05 PM »
I'd rather help push your rig in the snow to get in a bit of "bad fishing" than have an easy day at work... Can hardly wait to retire and I intend to retire very early... This work stuff is ridiculous...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2019, 01:24 PM »
I'd rather help push your rig in the snow to get in a bit of "bad fishing" than have an easy day at work... Can hardly wait to retire and I intend to retire very early... This work stuff is ridiculous...
Agreed,  the only good day at work is payday,  and that's over rated!. .
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2019, 02:45 PM »
Agreed,  the only good day at work is payday,  and that's over rated!. .

Pull the plug guys I need some buddies to fish with.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2019, 05:20 PM »
If that's better than a good day at work, get a better job

You are right, sir. I'm currently looking. Although, every once in a while, I like a self inflicted challenge better than working in a nasty shop.

An easy day at work for me means it's slow and boring...tick tock, ya know? At least slow and boring fishing is on your own terms. Pick up and go home whenever you want!  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.