Author Topic: Bad Day - Dozens Stranded on Lake of the Woods (glad it wasn't me)  (Read 3527 times)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Allen Foster was among dozens of anglers stranded on Lake of the Woods after blizzard conditions hit early Sunday morning, Feb. 24. 

By Brad Dokken of the Grand Forks Herald - February 28, 2019

Allen Foster had never been to Lake of the Woods before last week, when he and a buddy, Derick Kubitz, set out from Wheeler's Point near Baudette, Minn., on an ice road plowed 22 miles onto the lake to an area south of Garden Island.

It's a trip neither of them will forget anytime soon.

Traveling the ice road in a Dodge Ram four-wheel-drive pickup and towing a 21-foot Ice Castle fish house on wheels, the fishermen were excited to reach a distant fishing hotspot the resort had suggested they try after paying their access fee that Thursday afternoon, Feb. 21.

So excited, in fact, they hadn't checked the extended weather forecast, Foster says.

"Of course, the guy (at the resort) never said a word about any storms or anything, and I wasn't paying any attention," Foster, of Bemidji said. "I drive truck over the road so I was concentrating on the truck. Literally, I got home from over the road, I hooked up my (Ice) Castle, met my buddy and we took off."

Set up in a nook the resort had plowed off the main ice road out there in the middle of nowhere, Foster says the first couple of days went smoothly. They caught fish, and the weather was nice, at least by this winter's standards.

"It was nice and clear out; it wasn't windy," he said. "It snowed a little bit Friday night, roughly 2 maybe 3 inches, but it was just like really soft, powdery stuff. Everything was going good."
That all changed in the wee hours of Sunday morning, when the generator they used to power the Ice Castle ran out of gas. Foster got up and stepped outside to refuel the generator, only to be greeted by the weather equivalent of a buzzsaw.

"It was blowing like crazy," he recalls. "My neighbor, who was roughly 60 yards from me, had his outdoor lights on all the way around his Ice Castle, and those were all lit up when I went to sleep.
"I couldn't even see them, it was blowing so hard."

The men, who had planned to return to Bemidji on Sunday night, decided to cut the trip short and head back to shore at first light, Foster recalls. The road by that time had drifted shut, and they didn't make it more than a quarter of a mile.

"I started plowing through a bunch of drifts, which was starting to slow me down, and then I hit one big drift that came about midway up the grill of my pickup," Foster said. "That slowed me down pretty good, and then all of a sudden, the pickup just dropped, and I dropped down almost a foot and a half in slush."

The weight of the snow had pushed water up through cracks in the ice, creating slushy pockets that lurked beneath the drifts. Coupled with drifting snow that now blocked the road, conditions were impassable.
"I got the Castle and my pickup into that slush, and it dragged me right to a screeching halt, and that's where I sat," Foster said.

The blizzard conditions Foster and Kubitz encountered in the wee hours of Feb. 24 more than 20 miles from shore had stranded dozens of anglers who used the access road near Wheeler's Point. Over the next two days, authorities, including the Lake of the Woods County Sheriff's Department, U.S. Customs and Border Protection and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, joined resorts along the south shore of the big lake in reaching anglers stuck on the ice.

Authorities even flew the area by helicopter. And while nearly a dozen anglers were reported missing at various times during the storm and its aftermath, all had been accounted for by Tuesday afternoon.
"The conditions I would say were horrid," said Eric Benjamin, a conservation officer for the Department of Natural Resources in Warroad, Minn., who spent 13 hours Monday assisting authorities with rescue efforts. "After all that drifting snow, a lot of people were stranded."

Foster says his provider's cellphone service was marginal that far from shore, but he was able to get enough reception about 7:30 a.m. Sunday to call the resort and tell them his predicament.
He had plenty of company.

"They told me they knew that people were getting stuck, and they were doing their best to try breaking trails to get everybody," Foster said.

He'd start his pickup every so often and put it in gear to spin the tires and keep them from freezing into the ice.

"I kept doing that for an hour, two, three, four and finally eight hours go by, and still nothing," Foster said. "Nobody was showing up."

Bundling up, he walked up to check on a group in a nearby truck that was stuck in even deeper water and slush.

"He said he'd been in contact with the lodge quite a bit, and they were doing their best," Foster said. "I said, as long as you've got contact, I'm good. I said I didn't have any (cellphone) service so I'm just kind of stuck on high ground here. I don't know what to do."

The slush was up to his knees, Foster says, and only the heat from his feet kept the inside of his boots from freezing.

About that same time, an angler who was still set up and fishing in a nearby wheelhouse invited Foster and Kubitz inside to chat and warm up; he also fried some fish for them.

The samaritan fisherman had cell service and let Foster tap into his Wi-Fi hotspot. Foster then made a post on Facebook with photos showing his predicament and asking for advice, thinking he was only sending the message out to friends.

Instead, the message was public, and the post went viral, Foster says, shared 2,700 times in less than 24 hours.

"I had message after message coming through of people asking if I'm OK," he said. "I'm like, 'Oh my goodness. People, I'm OK, this isn't a life and death situation yet. I'm good for now.' "
About 1:30 a.m. Monday with still no sign of rescue, Foster says he began to panic. Questions flooded his mind: Where are the plows? Are they stuck? Why don't I see any lights?

Then he saw them about 4 a.m., lights that were faintly visible far off in the distance.
In that moment, panic and despair turned to hope.

"It was like five vehicles in a row with huge light bars just glowing in the distance, and they were plowing like crazy to me, and they came straight to me, and plowed me out," Foster said.
Getting the pickup freed and onto the cleared ice road took about 2½ hours, and jerking the fish house loose took another hour, Foster recalls.

The truck and fish house were free by about 8:30 a.m. Monday, Foster says, but their troubles weren't over yet. The wheels on the fish house were frozen and wouldn't turn. Long story short, he and Kubitz left the house on the lake and drove into Baudette to buy blow torches and 1-pound propane bottles they used to melt the ice enough for the wheels to turn.

Problem remedied, they were back on shore with the Ice Castle and headed home to Bemidji by 3 p.m.

Looking back on the ordeal, Foster says he'd take a few more precautions next time, including switching to a cellphone provider that has better service on Lake of the Woods.
He'll definitely be more vigilant about watching the weather, he says.

"I would go back to Lake of the Woods, but like I said, I've got quite a checklist," Foster said. "I know what to expect and what to plan for now."

The authorities and area resorts did a "phenomenal" job of getting himself and other stranded anglers off the lake, Foster says, no small task given the conditions and the difficulty in clearing more than 20 miles of snow- and slush-clogged ice roads.

"It was quite the ordeal, all right," Foster said. "It was a good fishing trip that kind of went bad, but all in all, I still had fun."

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Brutal!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Can't fix stupid. The storm/winds were forecasted all week but let's go 20 miles off shore  ::)

Offline chasdc1

• Team IceShanty Regular
WoW!

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
Can't fix stupid. The storm/winds were forecasted all week but let's go 20 miles off shore  ::)

2x  the guy frying fish had the right idea

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
   OOOOFDA YAH!   ;D. Glad they made it off in good shape.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
It's like me.  I can't pick my weather.  I can only pick the day to go fishing.  Then where I go fishing.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
2x  the guy frying fish had the right idea

That's what I was thinking! Why would you try and pull that thing out in those conditions! Keep fishing and wait everything to clear and new roads to be plowed.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm guessing the decision to pack up and go was a panic decision, not a well thought out plan. If I was driving 20 miles out, I would have enough propane, food and toilet paper for a week. I've had enough things go bad, the best idea is to turn a bad turn of events into a week long fishing trip.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm guessing the decision to pack up and go was a panic decision, not a well thought out plan. If I was driving 20 miles out, I would have enough propane, food and toilet paper for a week. I've had enough things go bad, the best idea is to turn a bad turn of events into a week long fishing trip.

It seemed to me that he had enough food/fuel to last longer, because he says he decided to leave early. I would guess that, in retrospect, he would have opted to stay put and fish since he didn't go more than a quarter mile anyways. Lake of the Woods is a very large lake and it at least hints of something like poor judgment for the resort not to provide some guidance to tourist outsiders that come to them to fish their territory.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Back in the mid 1970s I took my K5 Blazer out on a local lake just to mess around and have some fun. There was plenty of ice but about 300 yards from the ramp I sunk to the axles in slush. Could not go another inch. That ordeal cost me $400 to get a tow truck with enough cable to winch me off and it took a full 8 hours to get off. I have never even considered driving my vehicle out on the ice since. I know out there it is a very common practice but not here in southern NY.
I always have wondered what happens if the truck goes through? Does your auto insurance actually cover the costs plus the total loss? Hopefully you make it out safe but I suspect the truck will either be a total loss and might even have to be retrieved off the bottom once the ice is out or safe. Sounds like a monster bill to me. The worst I have seen here besides the ATVs and snowmobiles that go through are trucks that tried and did not get far. We have right now about 14 inches of solid ice but the shorelines are much weaker so big rigs go through upon entrance and then need to get towed out.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It has been tough in Minnesota this year with record snows.

Anglers struggle to retrieve frozen ice houses after festival Weather
John Enger · Leech Lake, Minn. · Mar 4, 2019 - John Enger | MPR News

The surface of Leech Lake looks like a ghost town more than a week after it was buzzing with anglers during the annual Eelpout Festival. Clusters of ice houses sit abandoned in feet of crusty slush and drifting snow. Trucks are buried to their axles and frozen solid.

Monday is the deadline to remove fish houses across the southern two-thirds of Minnesota. Northern Minnesota anglers, including those on Leech Lake, have until March 18 to clear the lakes. But record-deep snow is making the job almost impossible for some.

"Mother Nature, she's mean," said Mark Kimmerle, who works for Shriver's Bait Co. in Walker, Minn.

The business rented out five ice houses to anglers during the festival. But by the third day, ice roads across the lake were covered in 2 feet of slush. The combination of heavy snow and heavy vehicle traffic cracked the ice sheet. Water oozed out and partially refroze. Everyone should have left right then, said Kimmerle, but it was a party and people were drinking.

"That's what Eelpout Festival is. Just let some steam off in the middle of winter," he said.

Now, roughly 50 ice houses are stranded on the lake. Five belong to Kimmerle's boss, Jack Shriver, who regrets not pulling his houses earlier.

"You don't sleep too good at night, let's put it that way," he said. "We just hope things work out, and we catch a break, and we can get them off without breaking all our equipment."

In the days since the Eelpout Festival, the slush developed a crust that feels solid. But it's only a few inches thick.

Sustained cold weather would help freeze all of the water underneath the crust and allow vehicle traffic to resume on the ice sheet. But with spring fast approaching, Craig Nelson, who owns 13 stranded ice houses on the lake, wonders if that will happen.

"It takes a long time for that water to freeze," he said.

Nelson has a lot to lose if his ice houses can't be recovered, but he knows others who have it worse. Some out-of-town anglers had to rent cars to get home, he said, after their ice houses and trucks were stranded.

Craig Nelson runs 17 ice house rentals, most of which are still stranded on Leech Lake. He uses a hand-held auger to test the ice thickness. Right now there are 6 inches of water sandwiched between a 2-foot-thick base layer of lake ice, and a thin crust of surface ice. The conditions make it impossible for him to remove his ice houses. John Enger | MPR News

Leech Lake isn't the only problem spot. Deep snow statewide means anglers in many places are fighting to retrieve their ice houses. People who miss the deadlines face a fine. But it's the prospect of a more expensive recovery effort that worries Shriver.

Pulling an ice house off the bottom of a lake isn't cheap. On a recent morning, he took out his ATV to check on his houses.

He made it about a quarter mile onto the lake before the wheels sank through the crusty top layer of ice and spun up streams of slush.

"I need a shovel," he said, "and a tow rope."

Eventually, he recruited a daring Bobcat driver to pull the ATV to safety.

"I gave him 20 bucks," Shriver said. "It's the only thing I had in my pocket."

This truck is axle deep in slush, and frozen in place. In some places on Leech Lake, the ice is covered in several feet of slush and snow, making it impossible to retrieve stranded vehicles and ice houses. John Enger | MPR News

Shriver's ATV was the only thing coming off the ice that day, and maybe for a while.

The bait shop might have to pay a fine if it misses the state department's removal deadline. Kimmerle says that's fine. He just hopes the ice is still strong enough to support vehicles once the snow melts away.

"If it melts way too fast," he said, "then we're in trouble."

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was out there that day. It was like a snow haboob. Couldn't see past 20 feet sometimes. Resort turned everyone headed on the ice around and wouldn't let anyone go out. Glad I don't have a permie anywhere out on the ice right now.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Haboob?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
Haboob?

ha·boobDictionary result for haboob
/həˈbo͞ob/Submit
noun
a violent and oppressive wind blowing in summer, especially in Sudan, bringing sand from the desert.
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac

ha·boobDictionary result for haboob
/həˈbo͞ob/Submit
noun
a violent and oppressive wind blowing in summer, especially in Sudan, bringing sand from the desert.

blizz·ard
/bliz zard/Submit
noun
a violent and oppressive snowstorm accompanied by fierce wind blowing in the winter, especially in Minnesota, bringing snow from the Rockies and Dakotas.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Yikes. You guys pay an access fee to drive yourself out on the ice?
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
You pay an access fee for plowed roads. Plowing 20 miles of roads ain't cheap.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You pay for plowing so you can drive out but the plowing serves a much more important purpose. Snow on top of ice becomes an insulator and as such it also cause the slush that is the killer. Keeping the ice cleared of snow on those ice roads keeps the slush from forming. I would take a wild guess and say the vehicles that are now stuck in deep slush probably could not find the drift covered ice road and ventured off that designated path.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
You pay to use the plowed ice roads that go out from the resort accesses. You could go off a free public access too if you want, but you'll have to drive though 4' of snow the whole way. It is that way on almost every major lake in MN. Like already said, plowing those roads isn't cheap and is hard on equipment so they want some money to use them.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Cummins power right there.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
I don't think it's the resort's fault at all. Guy takes a shot at the resort because he made the paper, but the truth is he drove up from Bemidji and after that drive he would have gone out even if they told him not to.

Same thing all these geniuses did: https://www.brainerddispatch.com/news/4576717-anglers-ignore-warnings-get-stuck-mille-lacs-lake-overnight

It's all about personal responsibility, folks. I won't say he was stupid, he knew what he was doing, left early when it looked bad, kept his tires clear, checked on his neighbors, but it was his own fault he didn't check the weather.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.