Author Topic: How many in a day?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline mikeylapew

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Hard water- good times"
How many in a day?
« on: Mar 03, 2019, 07:12 AM »
 Driving home yesterday with 27 perch I looked over the water and wondered. How many perch are taken in a single day from the waters of New York State? Wouldn't it be interesting to see the count? I bet the figure would be amazing.
Fishing or going..

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: How many in a day?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:04 AM »
2 years ago on a local lake I counted 53 people all with 20 perch limits @ 1130 am. That was from a 50 acre cove.

So that was 1060 in a half day on 1/15 of the lake.

Entire lake is 750 acres.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:51 AM »
2 years ago on a local lake I counted 53 people all with 20 perch limits @ 1130 am. That was from a 50 acre cove.

So that was 1060 in a half day on 1/15 of the lake.

Entire lake is 750 acres.

With out knowing the bottom structure and other habitat factors within said lake, it would be difficult at best, to draw any conclusions from the information presented.   A lot of factors come in to play when determining both "total harvest" and "total available production".  Anglers and the fish they pursue, are generally not evenly distributed around the entire lake.

The fish and game folks, much as we like to disagree with them,  probably have total harvest figures.  Granted those numbers, are a combination of actual creel surveys as well as projections, based on the creel surveys.

I recently sat in on an informational meeting concerning deer harvest numbers.  Yes, harvest numbers can be very interesting discussion.   :)  And yes, sometimes it is just a question of "gosh, I wonder just how many are taken?"
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2019, 03:18 PM »
I was not trying to extrapolate out the total number of fish taken in the entire lake. I really don't care.  Just throwing out a precise number on one cove.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2019, 03:38 PM »
Just think how many perch those commercial netters take out if lake Ontario in Jefferson county every spring.
Don

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2019, 03:54 PM »
Just think how many perch those commercial netters take out if lake Ontario in Jefferson county every spring.
I’m 62 and they were doing it long before I was thought of , and yet to make a dent , I’m sure the amounts are big  , lake Erie numbers are huge
 I maybe wrong but I think  3 million lbs fills the market

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2019, 04:07 PM »
I’m 62 and they were doing it long before I was thought of , and yet to make a dent , I’m sure the amounts are big  , lake Erie numbers are huge
 I maybe wrong but I think  3 million lbs fills the market

I never heard of numbers but it has to be huge.  Those nets they use are really big and they put a lot of them out
Don

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2019, 04:07 PM »
I've often wondered similar things. We have a local lake where I am from that gets a good 80 or so people on a nice weekend day on the ice. It's a 400 acre lake. I've seen it when there are well over 100 people, almost all with fish on the ice. Figure 80 people keeping 20 nice fish a day, that's 1600 fish or 3200 a weekend. Now in the spring crappie run there will be people filling buckets with their 25 crappies every day of the week (20-30 people each evening taking limits and coming back every day), then 50-60 boats on the weekend plus all the bank fishermen.. Figure 625 from the bank fishermen every day, that's over 4000 a week plus the weekend smash of another possible 2500 fish.. that's 6500 fish each week for about 3 weeks leaving the lake if everyone limits out (its pretty easy, you catch a fish every single cast)

Our fisheries biologist told me angler harvest has NO IMPACT on our lakes.  ;)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2019, 05:14 AM »
if you want to be surprised, ask the "extension service" how many ,gills must be taken out of a 1 acre farm pond EVERY year to keep the pond healthy. wire

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2019, 07:53 AM »
if you want to be surprised, ask the "extension service" how many ,gills must be taken out of a 1 acre farm pond EVERY year to keep the pond healthy. wire

Please, just not all the 9+" gills.  Take the 7-8" for the table.  :)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2019, 07:50 AM »
fishermen and these sites are "internet rotenone" to some of our small public lakes!  the way info travels these days is amazing.  seen one cove go from 3-4 groups of guys to over 300 people in 2 days of a facebook posting!  the sacks of 14-17" crappie turned into 8-10"ers in a matter of a couple days. then turned into the dead sea with few marks even.  permanent damage to the population?  time will tell i guess.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:50 AM »
fishermen and these sites are "internet rotenone" to some of our small public lakes!  the way info travels these days is amazing.  seen one cove go from 3-4 groups of guys to over 300 people in 2 days of a facebook posting!  the sacks of 14-17" crappie turned into 8-10"ers in a matter of a couple days. then turned into the dead sea with few marks even.  permanent damage to the population?  time will tell i guess.
  i don,t believe there is ever PERMANENT damage to any water body, except the smallest of ponds. what i,ve seen in my many years of fishing is : hot bite, large fish, then hot bite, dinks, then DEADsea, no fishing. time goes on, no pressure so fish repopulate,n, grow to large size ,n, cycle starts over .YMMV , but thats happened several times to several lakes around here.wire

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.