Author Topic: Jaw jacker rods  (Read 1358 times)

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jaw jacker rods
« on: Mar 02, 2019, 08:27 PM »
Just wondering if I were to buy a new rod to try with a jaw jacker for smaller stock trout and so forth what action rod I might need.?I have a ML and an UL rod I jig with which seems too light for a jaw jacker.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jaw jacker rods
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2019, 10:50 PM »
I have been using a ML rod on one jawjacker and medium on the other. Both seem to work fine and are going on their third year with the jawjacker.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2019, 05:42 AM »
trout mouths are tuff, so just use enough rod to set the hooks and hold up to the powerful runs.  ugly sticks are pretty rugged.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:23 AM »
Ugly sticks seem to be the choice of a lot of folks who use jawjackers.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline PazzoCorso

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:43 AM »
I've had good luck using the Zebco Dock Demon with my jaw jacker. I switched after an ugly stick tip snapped off. Looks to me like the Ugly Stick tip is a separate piece/material then the rest of the rod. Jmho

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:50 AM »
The rods that JawJacker themselves sell are good quality rods for the price and were designed specifically for use with JawJacker traps.  They are also reasonably priced.  I have two of the rods below and they work great.  You want a fairly slow action, flexible glass rod to deal with sudden runs before you can reach the device on the ice and grab the rod.  These rods are designed just that way.

https://www.jawjackerfishing.com/product/jawjacker-ice-rod-29-m-spinning-panfish-kokanee/

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:41 AM »
I've had good luck using the Zebco Dock Demon with my jaw jacker. I switched after an ugly stick tip snapped off. Looks to me like the Ugly Stick tip is a separate piece/material then the rest of the rod. Jmho
No advocating ugly sticks like I said from reading posts like this one a lot of the folks said US. I myself use Fenwick ML.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:55 AM »
I make my own "Jawjackers", and since I can use anything I want, I built them for 4.5 foot telescoping ultralight spinning rods. That gives me a much greater distance of pull, and seems to keep them on better by the time I get there. I use telescoping rods because they are cheap, and easy to transport. My normal jigging rods were too soft and delicate to hook up reliably.

:tipup:

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2019, 04:10 PM »
I build rods, I run a 28" M/H. Works good.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2019, 07:17 AM »
guess I haven't heard of the ugly stick problems.  I have had 3 for many many years, and ever had an issue.  I don't baby my rods either. lol   

badger, that's a good point!  the longer rod gives you more travel distance of the tip to help keep line tension. on the same thinking as bank poles.  I bet if you used a long enough rod you could actually pull the fish up out of the hole for ya even.  now just to think up a hole cover(flexible flap) so they don't fall back in! lol

OANN the real story

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:46 PM »
I like the way you think river_scum! I have a tenkara fly rod that is over 11 feet! If I can build a jaw jacker big enough, I will post a video!

;)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08:57 AM »
11ft should do it if fishing shallow.  i was thinking about a bream buster(cane pole).  maybe name it the auto harvester. lol  sure would look funny out there on ice though. hehe

OANN the real story

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.