Author Topic: suckers  (Read 2608 times)

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
suckers
« on: Feb 26, 2019, 03:31 PM »
Heading up to winnie on Saturday, where is a good place enroute to buy cut bait suckers and smelt..I will be fishing sanders bay in Gilford..I think lewis bait shop has large frozen suckers, would they do?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: suckers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2019, 03:44 PM »
Go to Berrys bait in New Durham!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Online zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2019, 03:51 PM »
Go to Berrys bait in New Durham!

X2 they have been a nice find for me this year.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2019, 03:54 PM »
He’s at 142 Berry Rd. In New Durham, the road next to Johnson’s Reataurant at the blinking light and he’s a ways up on left

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2019, 04:42 PM »
Thanks all

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2019, 04:56 PM »
I got some huge suckers for last week at AJ’s in Meredith.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2019, 04:58 PM »
I doubt you’ll find smelt period, but he will have shiners and suckers

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2019, 08:49 PM »
The smelt are not that important, the suckers yes, I can put a piece of sucker on my tip up or get a few emeralds at wildlife sports in manchester

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2019, 04:54 AM »
What are other alternatives to tipping your hook besides sucker meat? Berry's is out of suckers, dont know about aj's yet..

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:08 AM »
I’ve done well with half a smelt or a filet of Redfin if I can’t get a cut sucker.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2019, 06:27 AM »
Dead Yellow perch as long as it’s legal on the lake you are on. Winni is not listed.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2019, 06:49 AM »
I am surprised that Wayne Hall doesn't have suckers. They always have for me in the past but I haven't done much laker fishing this season.

Anyway, you can get suckers at Winnisquam Market if you drive that way to get to Winni. My buddy has been buying them from there this year.

A note on frozen suckers- they just don't work for cut bait. The meat becomes mushy. I've tried many times to reuse the sucker meat from the day before when it was frozen in the bobhouse but it just doesn't work.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2019, 06:56 AM »
I am surprised that Wayne Hall doesn't have suckers. They always have for me in the past but I haven't done much laker fishing this season.

Anyway, you can get suckers at Winnisquam Market if you drive that way to get to Winni. My buddy has been buying them from there this year.

A note on frozen suckers- they just don't work for cut bait. The meat becomes mushy. I've tried many times to reuse the sucker meat from the day before when it was frozen in the bobhouse but it just doesn't work.

I have found this to be true as well. Heck, I need to bump my house off the buildup of chum that the lakers pick up and spit out...lol

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2019, 07:59 AM »

Winnisquam market should have suckers.   As far as day old sucker meat  don't let it freeze , take it home to the fridge in a zip lock. It will work fine to use .

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:07 AM »
Dead Yellow perch as long as it’s legal on the lake you are on. Winni is not listed.

This works very well. I'll use white perch eyes or shiners as well
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:07 AM »
Heading up to winnie on Saturday, where is a good place enroute to buy cut bait suckers and smelt..I will be fishing sanders bay in Gilford..I think lewis bait shop has large frozen suckers, would they do?
Frozen is ok but it gets mushy quickly.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:09 AM »
If you must freeze it, salt it to draw out the excess moisture, I do  this with prerigged mackerel that  I  rig for trolling bait for striper and tuna fishing. The meat won't be as mushy.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2019, 04:57 PM »
I did check lewis in concord today and he does have suckers..I will give it a go on Saturday..Thank you all for the suggestions..So, I can filet it the night before and keep it cool but not frozen?..

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:40 PM »
I was away ajs today,  ..he had tons of bait.  Winnisquam market is next to me and has stepped up their game this year for sure

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2019, 10:22 AM »
I did check lewis in concord today and he does have suckers..I will give it a go on Saturday..Thank you all for the suggestions..So, I can filet it the night before and keep it cool but not frozen?..

I don't know, I always cut it first thing in the morning and chum the holes with the carcass.. it's kinda a ritual for me laker fishing.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2019, 07:57 AM »
Absolutely, put in ziplock squeeze out air lay flat in the fridge

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2019, 10:39 AM »

Filet and lightly salt

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2019, 04:38 PM »
I did this a couple weekends ago..filleted the sucker  made them ready to go for jiggin and kept in fridge over night...wife didnt know what the massecar was in the kitchen but shes patient...were still in great shape in the morning so I'm sure they work just fine...oh, heres a tip, dont leave them behind on ur counter the next morning and forget them....like I did...dooht!

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2019, 06:21 AM »
I did this a couple weekends ago..filleted the sucker  made them ready to go for jiggin and kept in fridge over night...wife didnt know what the massecar was in the kitchen but shes patient...were still in great shape in the morning so I'm sure they work just fine...oh, heres a tip, dont leave them behind on ur counter the next morning and forget them....like I did...dooht!
Ouch, that does hurt. Better than your buddy leaving the heater on the counter when your heading to the derby with the pop up shack. All sticks in the memory for years, and gives reason to chuckle a little later on.

Offline Rackbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:45 PM »
Berry’s bait in New Durham has suckers and smelt now

Offline Goggls911

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2019, 09:19 PM »
If suckers aren't available I use medium shinners hook the head and slice down the middle...  I've had better success with shinners than I've had with cut sucker

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 09, 2019, 06:49 AM »
I’m hearing as of last night suckers couldn’t be found at either lakes region bait shop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.