Author Topic: WP jigging input.  (Read 1362 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
WP jigging input.
« on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:48 AM »
Was curious to ask the guys who jig WP often, I jig them up when I can haven't had any issues. Yesterday was odd, I had to downsize jigs,  the WP were interested but not aggressive and the takes were so subtle it was almost undetectable when the strike occurred, I have never experienced such a soft bite.  it was like the were just sipping it in like they were almost afraid to bite? or maybe they were trying to steal my bait without being caught? Is this a normal pattern for the bigger wp? Thanks for any info. 
Salmonemia

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: WP jigging input.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:10 AM »
That’s how they have been acting for me this season, even with live smelt on the pimple dropper . On tip ups same thing many hits and immediate drops with only a few feet at mos of line being taken.  My usual locations have not produced well.

Waiting for them to school and stage prespawn then they will take about anything when you start a frenzy

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2019, 01:13 PM »
I've had days like that this year. I've tried downsizing, using just smelt on a jig head or just plain worms. I've even marked a whole school where you'd think they'd compete for your jig and they just barely take it..... I find during those days it's more productive to use tip ups than jigs tbh. I also set them about a foot off bottom or where you are marking them so they don't have to chase too much.
Tight Lines!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2019, 02:02 PM »
Wayne,

I am no pro here but I do jig my share of whites each year. I had a similar bite while I was fishing winni a few weeks ago and what I learned was that just because they are shy, doesn't mean you have to go smaller. Everything made a difference though. Color, size, speed, presentation. And like that I was able to do this back to back days in just an hour each day. I think I landed 9 the first try and 11 the next.

Just add water.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2019, 02:10 PM »
the WP were interested but not aggressive and the takes were so subtle it was almost undetectable when the strike occurred, I have never experienced such a soft bite.
Downsizing jigs is a common tactic for whities and crappies in the above scenarios, Wayne.
The fish will tell you what they want if you experiment enough.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2019, 02:10 PM »
I’ve changed jigs often...went for a small Swedish pimple to a PK predator to a small tungsten jig head with a worm..I’ve had to almost put it right in their mouth for them to bite...Dead sticking and a subtle motion work best for me. I have yet to encounter any aggressive school of whites this yr, like I’ve had in past years.
I’ve had the best luck on a small jig with a worm
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2019, 02:21 PM »
I always thought March was the best time for white perch?

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><((((º> Bring on the ice!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2019, 02:25 PM »
End of January we got on a hot white perch bite !  1-2.2 lbers and they were stacked 10 ft thick down the bottom.  Very aggressive, too. 
My friends went back a few weeks later and nada..

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2019, 02:47 PM »
I’ve changed jigs often...went for a small Swedish pimple to a PK predator to a small tungsten jig head with a worm..I’ve had to almost put it right in their mouth for them to bite...Dead sticking and a subtle motion work best for me. I have yet to encounter any aggressive school of whites this yr, like I’ve had in past years.
I’ve had the best luck on a small jig with a worm
Thanks for everyone's input.  This above description is exactly what happened yesterday.  In previous years they were very aggressive and hit pimples like crazy. All jigs tipped with dilleys. I recall reading or maybe on a video about winni can be like that until a feeding frenzy starts then its a blitz.  I had a few schools come through all acted the same unless it was the same school.  Hope to get back out there soon.
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2019, 06:17 AM »
Fish being cold blooded, feed for short periods of time, rest for longer periods of time,y hey do not always feed,as March advancees, as Denny alluded to, they become more aggressive as the prepare themselves for spawning,also the school sizes will grow,you will also notice more of a mix with size and sex of the fish,this alone will make them more aggrssive, last weekend we were just a few days removed from the full moon, everyone of these factors contribute to weather we have  a finicky or aggressive bite, I prefer to use small baits and tip ups early on, but once the schools form and the fish become aggressive, I'll jig, I've found that a small fly like a stone fly nymph above the jig will alot of times convince the looky. Lous. To " steal" the meal from the larger jig, it's a trick I've down sized from my cod jigging bag of tricks.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2019, 10:08 AM »
Fish being cold blooded, feed for short periods of time, rest for longer periods of time,y hey do not always feed,as March advancees, as Denny alluded to, they become more aggressive as the prepare themselves for spawning,also the school sizes will grow,you will also notice more of a mix with size and sex of the fish,this alone will make them more aggrssive, last weekend we were just a few days removed from the full moon, everyone of these factors contribute to weather we have  a finicky or aggressive bite, I prefer to use small baits and tip ups early on, but once the schools form and the fish become aggressive, I'll jig, I've found that a small fly like a stone fly nymph above the jig will alot of times convince the looky. Lous. To " steal" the meal from the larger jig, it's a trick I've down sized from my cod jigging bag of tricks.
So using that technique do both  "jigs" have hooks or just the top one? Thanks Joe. 
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2019, 10:26 AM »
So using that technique do both  "jigs" have hooks or just the top one? Thanks Joe.
Both, but obviously,  the second hook counts towards your hook count.ive never been told it was illegal, fly fisherman use droppers often...at least the savvy one do.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2019, 11:32 AM »
Downsizing jigs is a common tactic for whities and crappies in the above scenarios, Wayne.
The fish will tell you what they want if you experiment enough.

2X!!!

You cannot expect fish to behave the same each and every trip.
That's why it pays to have various options for tackle, presentation and bait.

You never know what WILL work until it does!

Good work, and continued good luck!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2019, 05:35 PM »
Yup, gotta have a variety at the ready... I usually have 6-8 jigging rods ready to go in a holder in the bayrunner setup across the range from a 3mm tungsten with mousies up to a big rippin raps. Paint markers are great for quick changes too, a couple quick strokes and you got a different offering.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.