Author Topic: Gulp Products  (Read 3772 times)

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
Gulp Products
« on: Feb 20, 2019, 09:59 PM »
Anyone use the Gulp products in the winter?   I am referring to the Nibbles that are pink or yellow. 

I have success with panfish in the summer using this but have never tried it in the winter through the ice.  I use the Gulp maggots, in red, often in the winter, they work ok, not as effective as real red spikes.

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Gulp Products
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2019, 12:29 AM »
I'm sure you'll get urban stocker trout on that. Depending on your lake, maybe panfish too. Mad Mark was using them last week in the water that opened up by rock jetties. He said a nugget on the hook was the trick, over Gulp minnows and a variety of plastics. They dissolve in the water and diffuse scent.

What's to lose for trying?
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2019, 08:02 AM »
I just used the pink crappie nibbles yesterday fishing for blue gills.  I had tipped a jig with waxies and these and blue gills were hitting it all day long.  Not sure if the crappie nibbles helped the waxies or not though, cuz the fishies were hungry.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:27 AM »
Um, I think technically Gulp and Powerbait are distinct Berkley product lines, but I also think that your question is more generic.

I have used many Powerbait products in the Summer, including Liquid Powerbait attractant, but haven't tried them in the Winter for a while.  BTW, the trout dip product is outlawed in my boat after a small spill turned to glue and is still there years later.

Back to the OP, I think it was Gulp maggots we tried years ago, but natural mealworms seemed to outperform them and I never went back.  Around here, if it is a no-bait restricted water then you can't use the scented artificial products either.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2019, 12:39 PM »
I always have some with me. Learned to do this by accident a few years ago. Got into a bunch of perch using wrigglers but they were on the smaller side. Didn’t want to blow through them so I found a couple of jars of gulp in my truck and figured that the smaller perch would still go after it and I could use it up. The hot color was pink gulp maggots. From that day forward when I’ve gotten into small perch I’ll go with pink gulp and about 60% of the time it has produced bigger fish.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2019, 03:10 PM »
I have used Crappie Nibbles through ice with success after running out of waxworms or spikes.  That said, I did not try the same lures without bait.  Perhaps there was no need to use bait at all on those days.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2019, 01:44 PM »
I will try them next time out on the ice.    One jar has lasted me 3 years of these Nibblers on softwater. 

I brought this up because my red spikes don't seem to live long, something I am noticing this year more than others...they are starting to pupae sooner than usual.  I usually put them i frig and can take them fishing on numerous days.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2019, 06:41 PM »
Of course they work,especially in all 4 seasons. ;D

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:23 PM »
I use gulp earth worm chunks for panfish in winter. about any scent will help get them to bite most days. imo  I spray my jigging raps with shad scent too.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:42 PM »
i use gulp alive on all my tipups treble hooks,they give off smell,taste,and color.i believe they work thats all that matters.
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:45 PM »
The stink,and leaking jars/bags keep me using live bait.lol.ive never had good luck with gulp.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:52 PM »
The stink,and leaking jars/bags keep me using live bait.lol.ive bever had good luck with gulp.
i heard that, mine all leaked in my pockets, icemans cologne lol so i keep a jar in a zip lock bag, still leaks gets on my hands but thats the idea, smell!
GOD BLESS
mo
p/s my family says my truck stinks lol
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2019, 07:45 PM »
I keep my stash of Gulpl in a plastic coffee container. When you open a new container  don't peel the protective seal all the way off. Open it just enough to get a piece of bait out. Doesn't make it leak proof, but helps a lot. Transfer to baby food jars is a better option.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2019, 07:55 PM »
I use the maggots on swedish pimples for the trebles and then real maggots on my dropper

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2019, 07:56 AM »
Pro tip - swap out the gulp jars with new spice jars :)

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2019, 12:36 PM »
Pro tip - swap out the gulp jars with new spice jars :)
Another tip you can use small ball or Kerr? Canning jars. The kind used for jelly. I actually have four or five different types in the same jar.
Keep it safe! JDL

Online RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2019, 01:02 PM »
The small medical specimin containers work great as well and definitely do not leak.  You can get them on Amazon/eBay cheap.  I got tired of my steelhead vest smelling like the gulp juice from leaking out of those glass containers.  I also heard if you leave the little cardboard top attached, it helps seal the glass jars.  Just peal it back a little bit instead of tearing it all the way off.  Or wrapping the threads on the glass jar with the white PTFE thread seal tape.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2019, 04:12 PM »
What he said!

Offline Nevsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2019, 04:37 AM »
It's amazing to me that the leakage problem has been talked about for years and the makers of Gulp have not done anything about it.

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:12 AM »
I invested in a high quality leak proof Tupperware container for mine. only the best for fishing stuff! meanwhile I pack lunch in clean sour cream containers

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2019, 03:14 PM »
It's amazing to me that the leakage problem has been talked about for years and the makers of Gulp have not done anything about it.
they sell a recharge kit? :o
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2019, 03:19 PM »
had to get new supply went through more this year than last ,trying out something new!

GOD BLESS
mo

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2019, 03:30 PM »
Love Gulps....  Except for the oil on my fingers so i keep some plastic spoons and forks in the sterilite container...

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2019, 03:31 PM »
Love Gulps....  Except for the oil on my fingers so i keep some plastic spoons and forks in the sterilite container...

lol
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2019, 04:54 PM »
 speaking of these, I put a jar in my top pocket, to keep from freezing, only to find I did not put the lid on tight enough, so it leaked dry , into my pocket. anybody know what that liquid is?

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2019, 04:54 PM »
 speaking of these, I put a jar in my top pocket, to keep from freezing, only to find I did not put the lid on tight enough, so it leaked dry , into my pocket. anybody know what that liquid is?

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2019, 06:19 PM »
I think its worm pee
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 28, 2019, 08:35 PM »
It's enough in that jarbto get you a ..you stink when you walk in the door that's for sure ;D

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 01, 2019, 08:40 AM »
I've been using they're product for a long time. Trout worms, 1" gulp minnows,crappie inhibits and now a new killer 1" long black leech. Was banging ice out crappie the other day on them.They wouldn't touch live bait. 13 gulp,2 jig and maggots 0 on live minnows.....

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 01, 2019, 09:01 PM »
It's enough in that jarbto get you a ..you stink when you walk in the door that's for sure ;D

Yes,  it's nasty, spill it on your boat carpet once and you will be looking for a new container to put it in.

The true Gulp brand stuff is a neat product, it shrivels up when you take it out of the liquid.  I left a 1" minnow on a hook once and it dried out.  I couldn't get it off.  I had to put a new hook on.  If you let it soak up liquid again it grows and is like new...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.