New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Delta lake danger  (Read 1402 times)

Offline bigeye77

• IceShanty Rookie
Delta lake danger
« on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:52 PM »
Fished delta today like an idiot in the wind and on my way back about a 3/4 mile out on main part of lake heading towards the point I went in over my head twice. Must have got on spring that opened with the wind about the size of a car got out and went back in a couple steps after. Lost all my stuff. Custom tip ups I built minnows shanty smitty sled thermos Coleman stove etc so if anyone happens to see part of my sled caught on the ice and it didn’t fully sink and gets anything out I would greatly appreciate it if you could message me thanks

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Delta lake danger
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2019, 12:23 AM »
Jesus man glad you're OK. That gear, while sentimental I'm sure, cn be replaced. You can't. Glad you got out ok.
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2019, 01:00 AM »
Glad to hear your ok.
I wouldn't recommend going near that gear...for obvious reasons. :o

SPIN 2 WIN!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2019, 04:31 AM »
glad your ok

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2019, 05:38 AM »
Sorry to hear that. Glad you made it out ok

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:19 AM »
Glade you made if off the ice!!
F the gear, you kidding me?
Go buy a lottery ticket and get set back up with your winnings.   
It's tough getting out once but twice you got a big time luck thing going on. You gotta win!
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:25 AM »
Very glad you made it out.. twice! How did you manage to get out? did you have ice picks? If you don't mind sharing the story, I think it would be some of the most valuable information any of us could ever read on this site. thank you brother and stay safe out there.

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:32 AM »
Man. That is lucky. Glad you made it out! I seen someone go in twice before. When you get out you are supposed to turn around and go back the way you came but I could only imagine how disorienting it is when you do get out.. especially if you're by yourself.

Offline bigeye77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:44 AM »
Thanks guys. I went out in the later morning to see how the ice was with the spud and it was decent and actually saw a wheeler and sled out where I typically go so I figured it would be ok. Little puddles of water but most of it was frozen right up making for a slippery walk. Got myself set up where I normally go and a few hours later the wind picked up. That’s when I probably should have made the decision to leave but with the dropping temps I figured it would be fine and if anything stiffen up the ice more. Long story short night came and wind only got worse. I managed to pack all up and actually got behind my smitty sled and pushed it along riding it like a bobsled with one foot on the back ski and the other pushing. I noticed that the wind started pushing me off track closer to the shore than I normally go.  A second later my feet broke through and whole set up toppeling over into the hole I was falling into. It all kind of turned to a blur at that point other than thinking just get yourself out and I managed to get out very quickly. My flash light I had in my teeth so I was able to see going forward and knew that I had to just get to my car quickly. Luckily I made it and my house is a little over a mile away. Considering there was 20 inches of ice you would never think this was possible but it just shows you are never safe

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:49 AM »
Wow... glad you were able to get out BigEye, scarey stuff.

Offline johnb340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2019, 07:42 AM »
Wow what a scary story; so glad you made it out and thanks for sharing.   The older I get the less chance I think I could actually get out.   When I fished Delta back in the 80's I remember a woods/water shop not far from the lake.  If it's still there maybe have them put a notice out about your gear too.

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:04 AM »
Thank God you made it out. As previously posted the older we get the wiser we become but as for ice conditions they can change and don't care.
I live back in the woods you see

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2019, 09:37 AM »
Glad you made it out bud, hope the gear turns up for ya but you can get new stuff over time but you can’t buy a new life. If your around lower lake Champlain, or in Washington county and want to fish, give me a shout out and all you have to bring is yourself and anyone else you want to bring and I’ll supply the rest including lunch 😁
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2019, 02:10 PM »
Thank God you weren't farther from shore,good to hear you are OK,gear can always be replaced but not you!This freeze/thaw weather is the worst for icefishermen,be careful everyone and always partner up on questionable ice ;)

FN

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2019, 02:31 PM »
sure it's  possiable   sounds  to me like you  found a gas hole

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2019, 03:39 PM »
I think it was an old hole.. all that drifted snow on top melted and it had to drain somewhere. Then rain on top of that, and more drainage.. a 6 inch hole turned into a car sized hole

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2019, 03:54 PM »
very  possiable  times of warm weather gas  holes open up too  .....  you  just have to stay alert  and   spud

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Warm temps and wind is called blow torch . No wind  and  very little melting unless the shore has no snow be careful.
Mr.Esox

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2019, 01:52 AM »

Glad your ok , scary stuff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.