Author Topic: Tip-up Trout with Eggs  (Read 3048 times)

Offline happyfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip-up Trout with Eggs
« on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:33 AM »
So I'd like to Target some trout and I got some fresh salmon eggs... I've never used Salmon eggs on a tip up but I'm going to give it a shot would you guys put the eggs right under the ice or would you put them a foot off the bottom...? Or is there something cool I don't even know about??? Sometimes I just can't get live bait so I'd like to try the eggs so I can still go fishing 👍... And I don't want to catch small trout so I'm going to thread-like 5 or 6 eggs on the hook... Thoughts???  Everyone kick some butt this weekend and be safe and hide from the wind (gusts over 50) ... I hope someone from ice shanty wins it all 👍👍👍

Offline ice fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip-up Trout with Eggs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:44 AM »
Doenst matter if u use 1 egg or 10  if the fish aren't there right . Personally  I would use med  or lrg shiners or smelt 3 to 4 inch for large rainbows

Offline Fatcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:47 AM »
ive used eggs with some success. but always near the bottom. ive tried jigging with eggs and dont remember anything good about it. I would use worms before eggs again.
Maine . 200lb Bucks & 6lb Brookies  !!!!!

Offline Fishfinder81

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good luck to anyone who wets a line
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:28 AM »
first step to catching any fish is knowing where they are. If you’ve got that, I suggest drilling a lot of holes around the whole area you plan to fish. Bait all the holes with eggs. You should be able to see bottom so when the eggs start disappearing, you know where to set your traps. I use 2 eggs on a hook and have caught all sizes. Usually I suspend my egg a couple inches off bottom. Putting a smelt just above the eggs can also score bigger fish. Good luck and be safe
Tight lines to all!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:40 PM »
I set those up just under the ice I put one egg all the way up the hook then a little bit of worm to cover the rest of the hook
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:57 PM »
3 FOW under the ice or less, I put them about 2 inches off the bottom. 4 FOW or more, I start playing around in the column a bit. Halfway. A foot under. A foot off bottom. Etc.

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:13 PM »

down here in ct. i use them all the time. usually right under the ice maybe 2 -3 ft. i've caught bows brookiies browns and salmon. 1 or 2 eggs sometimes tipped with a meal worm.

wt

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:05 PM »
I have done so well on salmon eggs with trout this year that I am at the point in mass where I am only putting a shiner on 1 trap and salmon eggs on the other 4.  I am chasing flags all day to the point folks around me are coming over to find out what’s up.  I fish trout in 3-8ft and have been rigging 4 eggs 2-4ft under the ice

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:25 PM »
I have done so well on salmon eggs with trout this year that I am at the point in mass where I am only putting a shiner on 1 trap and salmon eggs on the other 4.  I am chasing flags all day to the point folks around me are coming over to find out what’s up.  I fish trout in 3-8ft and have been rigging 4 eggs 2-4ft under the ice

I'm with this. I stopped using shiners altogether when tip fishing for trout.

Offline happyfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:41 AM »
Thank u so much guys!!!! Sounds like rmoody has it all figured out ...Love It!!!!  Appreciate y'all I'd love to see some some tip-up egg trout share some pics I'm going to try it this week for sure👍👍👍👍

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2019, 12:04 PM »
Thank u so much guys!!!! Sounds like rmoody has it all figured out ...Love It!!!!  Appreciate y'all I'd love to see some some tip-up egg trout share some pics I'm going to try it this week for sure👍👍👍👍

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2019, 02:59 PM »
I would use worms before eggs again.

X2 I’ve done well using worms for Brookies and rainbows in the past
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2019, 03:08 PM »
X2 I’ve done well using worms for Brookies and rainbows in the past

I've done well with browns using worms fishing tip ups.
John

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:22 PM »
Eggs area big part of my rainbow game. Moreso as a locator though. I catch a ton of bows on them but you traditionally catch smaller trout on them here. Usually always under 3.5 lbs. if that’s what you want great, I try to target the 22”+ 4+lb. fish. They definitely prefer a big shiner or smelt. I find with worms the same thing as eggs, big numbers, smaller sizes. I’ll use the egg/worm option to locate feeding fish then drop some bigger meat on them to weed out the cookie cutters. It’s all in the eye of the beholder.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:37 PM »
Eggs area big part of my rainbow game. Moreso as a locator though. I catch a ton of bows on them but you traditionally catch smaller trout on them here. Usually always under 3.5 lbs. if that’s what you want great, I try to target the 22”+ 4+lb. fish. They definitely prefer a big shiner or smelt. I find with worms the same thing as eggs, big numbers, smaller sizes. I’ll use the egg/worm option to locate feeding fish then drop some bigger meat on them to weed out the cookie cutters. It’s all in the eye of the beholder.
I left about 2 containers of eggs on the bottom this weekend I'm sure they are still there think the fish went south for the winter
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:56 AM »
Lol! I’m sure they’re a disintegrated shell of there former selves.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Give the man a cigar. .Right on Frank.. if I want to catch alot of Rainbow's.  I'll use eggs,  otherwise,  I'll give the big boys a meal that the little guys can't eat...
I like a snack.pack of salmon egs, kind of what I would use for steel head, I also favor .a single large egg with a pinch of power bait to hide the hook. I've taken some corker bows to 5 lbs on that PB egg combo, but when I'm interested in only a big bow, a big smelt in the shallows or just under the ice over a deep drop is what I go with.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:38 AM »
Interesting read guys.  I have never used them either, but you guys that are using them are these the store bought eggs that come in different colors?
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Give the man a cigar. .Right on Frank.. if I want to catch alot of Rainbow's.  I'll use eggs,  otherwise,  I'll give the big boys a meal that the little guys can't eat...
I like a snack.pack of salmon egs, kind of what I would use for steel head, I also favor .a single large egg with a pinch of power bait to hide the hook. I've taken some corker bows to 5 lbs on that PB egg combo, but when I'm interested in only a big bow, a big smelt in the shallows or just under the ice over a deep drop is what I go with.

Yes I can think of 2 places the PB and egg will still catch some larger here and there and you fish one of them

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Interesting read guys.  I have never used them either, but you guys that are using them are these the store bought eggs that come in different colors?

Yes

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:02 AM »
Yes I can think of 2 places the PB and egg will still catch some larger here and there and you fish one of them
;D
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline happyfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Some great fish up there Digs!!!! Even better being out there with the little ones ay.... Nice Work👍👏

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:23 PM »
Elephants eat peanuts, but generally big bait will cull out smaller ones, but I have seen 780lb tuna eat a tinker mackerel the size of my hand

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:52 PM »
Some great fish up there Digs!!!! Even better being out there with the little ones ay.... Nice Work👍👏

Thank you

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.