Author Topic: Bobhouse frozen in...  (Read 3744 times)

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bobhouse frozen in...
« on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:37 AM »
So we went out last Friday after all that rain. We got up to the lake but did not feel safe crossing the lake with 12 ' of water on top of the ice... This lake tends to develop fairly large drain holes when the inlets flood the top of the ice... there was a thin ice crust on top of the water so you cannot see these holes until you are on top of them...unnerving to say the least. Some large nought to fall into.

Went up yesterday and needless to say the BH is frozen over the blocks it is on and the runners. Its a 6X8 Northern Fabricatoin BobHouse.

Anyone ever have this happen? suggestions on how to free it up?

BTW, we had a great bass bite going on yesterday... we caught 8 smallies all over 2# and two 24" slimedarts both 3.8 lbs... plus littler ones of each.

This year I've caught the biggest slimedarts ever...in years and years of dealing with these slimey devils... good fun.. All fish were released, cept for the one sacrificial slimedart for our friend the raven or the local otter... we love to follow the otter trail... wishing we could travel like he does... looks like fun to me all that belly sliding...

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bobhouse frozen in...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:43 AM »
L.P. Weed burner? If you have a generator, maybe could run a knipco heater?

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:43 AM »
Call Jason at NSF for suggestions.

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:49 AM »
Chainsaw and spud bar.  Cut the runners and the ice around them out of the ice.  Then bring to shore and into a heated garage and let the ice melt.  That might work and not damage the shanty.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:55 AM »
So we went out last Friday after all that rain. We got up to the lake but did not feel safe crossing the lake with 12 ' of water on top of the ice... This lake tends to develop fairly large drain holes when the inlets flood the top of the ice... there was a thin ice crust on top of the water so you cannot see these holes until you are on top of them...unnerving to say the least. Some large nought to fall into.

Went up yesterday and needless to say the BH is frozen over the blocks it is on and the runners. Its a 6X8 Northern Fabricatoin BobHouse.

Anyone ever have this happen? suggestions on how to free it up?

Chisel around the runners best you can, take a scissor jack on the gable end and it should pop right out.  I leave a scissor jack right in my shack for just such purpose and had to do mine on Sunday.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:07 PM »
 I have a jack in mine with Jack stands also.  You might be able to get the ski's out by chipping and jacking.  Just go easy.  Make sure you are prying under plastic ski runner.  Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Offline Teamrustyhook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2019, 06:02 PM »
I would say a chainsaw, chisel/spud bar, big heavy hammer, Jack, Jack stands and a pop torch.
Start cutting parallel along the runner at an angle so that the start of your cut is a few inches away but the tip of the saw is cutting below or just past the runner. Then make cuts perpendicular to the runners every few inches as close as you feel comfortable to the runners so you have little squares cut out. I would then try to use the spud as a pry bar and pop those ice chunks out and use the hammer to try to get as close to the runner and remove as much ice away as possible. Use the jack to apply some upward pressure. Maybe use a long 4x4 to spread out the force. I assume the runners are aluminum. Aluminum conducts heat very easily. Apply heat with the torch to the metal close to the ice to free it up. If you have a torpedo heater or a buddy heater that might help. Once you lift one side throw a piece of wood down so it doesn't refreeze and then repeat for the other side. I've never done it before but if i had to that's probably how I would plan to do it. Anyways good luck and pay some pictures of the process how ever you go about it

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2019, 06:11 PM »
Was reading a thread about a situation like this on a different page.  Plenty of people swore by a couple shots through the floor.  While it wouldn't be the first thing I'd try,  after trying some of the other methods it may be stress relieving lol remember ear protection if you're crazy enough to try it

Offline Teamrustyhook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2019, 06:20 PM »
Was reading a thread about a situation like this on a different page.  Plenty of people swore by a couple shots through the floor.  While it wouldn't be the first thing I'd try,  after trying some of the other methods it may be stress relieving lol remember ear protection if you're crazy enough to try it
I think that's one of those "it's so crazy it might just work" ideas. My question is what should you use?
.22?  9mm? Maybe a few well placed 12ga deer slugs? If all else fails use a .300 Winchester mag and just sink the whole house  ;D.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2019, 06:26 PM »
Most said use a rifle,  one guy said he used a 44, all put heavy emphasis on ear protection  ;D

Offline Gold Rush

• IceShanty Rookie
  • They don't call it a "bobhouse" for nothing...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2019, 06:37 PM »
Leave it frozen until the next thaw. Everything will free-up.
You can't tell which way the train went by the tracks it left behind.

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:13 PM »
After a few brews and a scotch... I'm lol.. hadn't thought of shooting it out...  ;D. my fishing bud has every gun made... we could AK it out of the ice....lot louder, but less sweat! thanks to all... will follow up, next week... coming out one way or another.,..

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:49 PM »
douse inside with gallon gasoline. send bottle rockets toward for results. post video.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:56 PM »
Bring some fishing buddies and chip it out in no time.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Teamrustyhook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:03 PM »
X2 if anything it will keep you busy while waiting for flags... And warm!

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:11 PM »
bring buddies without licenses this way they can chip and you can fish... and plenty of beer
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:12 PM »
douse inside with gallon gasoline. send bottle rockets toward for results. post video.

Too funny!!  :laugh:....still cracking up.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2019, 02:18 PM »

Definitely the top answer here. Thread can be closed.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2019, 02:42 PM »

Heck yeah! Video would go viral, would make enough to buy 10 more shacks...  ::)

OK, (I can hardly type for laughing  :roflmao:) let's get serious. I'll bring the bottle rockets... No, really.

Fine.

Chain saw, spud bar and a jack. Replies #3 thru #6, right before it went redneck engineering.

I'd film the blaze with at least two ground based cams and a drone view. Ahahahahahahahaha! Geez, this is killin' me! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I got a lotta bottle rockets...  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2019, 02:53 PM »
I believe there is a video from a couple of years ago on the Circus site that shows how to get a frozen bobhouse out. The video was taken at The Dark Side.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2019, 05:15 PM »
it gets better

a friend of mine back in high school actually did douse his junky wooden shanty that was frozen in the ice with gas. except he didnt use a bottle rock to ignite it. he threw a match in the window. the friggin thing exploded and he went to the ER with burns. came to school with his hair burned half off. he was a cadet on the local fire dept. true story.

Offline Teamrustyhook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2019, 06:15 PM »
it gets better

a friend of mine back in high school actually did douse his junky wooden shanty that was frozen in the ice with gas. except he didnt use a bottle rock to ignite it. he threw a match in the window. the friggin thing exploded and he went to the ER with burns. came to school with his hair burned half off. he was a cadet on the local fire dept. true story.
There is a small pond near my dad's house that had a bobhouse on it quite a few years ago. It was a very large wooden shack that they did not raise up off the ice and sat on the ice for a couple months. Drive by one day in early March and all that was left was a large black outline in its place... I guess it's one way to deal with it, if you don't get caught.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2019, 06:30 AM »
I believe there is a video from a couple of years ago on the Circus site that shows how to get a frozen bobhouse out. The video was taken at The Dark Side.

Here you go Denny. Ask for help at your own risk. LMAO

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hHa2ubq7b8M&fbclid=IwAR2EySD-2_4koVsZp_mMJ8cuhdBDPlG8e9rE1qaDE4kuzmC8ohYJD6jg1IA&feature=youtu.be

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2019, 06:53 AM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hHa2ubq7b8M&fbclid=IwAR2EySD-2_4koVsZp_mMJ8cuhdBDPlG8e9rE1qaDE4kuzmC8ohYJD6jg1IA&feature=youtu.be

That is it Captain. A training film for anyone needing demolition work done.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:33 AM »

When you recommended this video I thought I remembered it the way it went - Circus always willing to lend a hand - but still a circus...
Guess an ounce of prevention is really worth a pound of cure - and then some.  Capt  - thanks for the link.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2019, 09:10 AM »

Wowowowow, footage of Laker Taker being kind that's hilarious Jiggin'

I'll stick to my portables for now!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2019, 09:56 AM »
The kid put it out first ice and came back out 5/6 weeks later. We watched and offered help for a couple hours. Finally Frog rallied the team, Lakertaker was kind, and nobody got hurt!😎 The kid had all cleaned up by the next day. Brought us a 30 pk for “helping” !

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:12 PM »
LOL, you gotta be kidding me, 5/6 weeks later?? Probably haven't seen this guy since?

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:30 PM »
The kid put it out first ice and came back out 5/6 weeks later. We watched and offered help for a couple hours. Finally Frog rallied the team, Lakertaker was kind, and nobody got hurt!😎 The kid had all cleaned up by the next day. Brought us a 30 pk for “helping” !

I was there when he and his buddy put it out wish I was there for the demolition I would have been helpful I have destroyed a few things in my life besides "brain cells". How long did that thirty pack last?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:39 PM »
Wasted a lot of perfectly good beer drinkin' time trying to save it. Shoulda just yanked it to pieces with the wheelers and been done with it.

Still thinkin' about gasoline and bottle rockets...  >:D
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.