Author Topic: Looking for recommendations for best husband / wife ice fishing get away  (Read 1575 times)

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
My wife and I are looking to sneak in a 4 day weekend yet this season (1 day travel out, 2 days of fishing, 1 day travel back) and we're looking for recommendations of anyone with first hand experience (hopefully this season) with a fishing outfitter.  We'd prefer a sleeper shack but open to on-shore lodging and day shack.  We've done Devil's Lake (did very well and strong possibility we may head back there).  Also did Mille Lacs last year in a sleeper (total bust).  Walleye would be great but also open to jumbo perch only if the seasons don't fall right.  We're not real particular and would rather tolerate rustic accommodations and catch fish vs. having great accommodations and not catch fish.  Looking to keep with 10 hour drive of our home in North Central Wisconsin.  Lake of the Woods is another possibility.  Thanks!  If you could give a website link would be great.
Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline SpartySturg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chequamegon Bay in Ashland, WI!!
No need to get an out of state licence.
Hotels on the bay or can get you a # of the guy with sleeper shacks
Send me a PM if interested
Lots of species to target.
Smelt fishing is really good.
Walleye, perch, white fish, Burbot, Splake, Lakers, Brown's, coho, coaster brookies all in the bay!
If you go have dinner at the Deep Water Grill, good place.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fly to Whitehorse for a couple of days in late March. It will be warmer, the sun will be higher and the days longer.

While here, join my wife and I for a day fishing.  Fish for lake trout and pike during the day, eat a great caribou stew dinner, then head back out an hour before dark to jig for burbot, watch the Northern Lights and listen to wolves howl.  Leave the lake around 1:30am.

Repeat the next day.

Sleep a lot while you fly back home.

Ted

Offline Fisherman80

• IceShanty Rookie
T-Hawker, What guide service did you guys use for Devils lake? I am trying to plan a trip there for my wife and I this ice season. Thanks in advance!

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Arneson's on Lake of the Woods is very nice and a little more suited to couples than most. Also Zipple Bay is a great spot on LOW also. Both have nice food and beverage facilities. Also the fishing has been very good this year. Both keep their houses on fish pretty well also.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chequamegon Bay in Ashland, WI!!
No need to get an out of state licence.

I agree with this, but I'd stay in Bayfield.  More romantical.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
Oahe Lake, South Dakota supposed to have killer perch fishing. Footballs. Outfitters offer hotels on the ice.  I have never been there, only read about it.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
Heading to LOTW  next week ,got a sleeper shack rented  for my  girlfriend and I through Fred's beds. $220 a day and they deliver fresh bait throughout the day.

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Angle Outpost Resort in the NW Angle.  Great fishing and a little cheaper than LOW south shore, depending on the outfitter.  You can get sleeper shacks or a cabin on shore and day house.  No ice roads, but they bring you out, also a lot less busy.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
My wife and I have done LOTW thru Zippel Bay, Devils Lake twice (stayed at Woodland and went out with Perch Patrol), Upper Red in a sleeper thru Alpine Fish Houses and Rainy Lake (stayed at the Thunderbird and went out with Rainy Daze Guide)

All were great trips (not necessarily great fishing) I think we enjoyed going with a sleeper house trips the most because its kind of like camping. Upper Red, the fishing was very tough but it was because of the amount of fishing pressure (New Years weekend 2017, thousands of trucks out those couple days and parties on the ice at night really shut down a bite). That said, we had the ability to move around and fish out of a portable anytime we wanted using the truck and snow conditions were not bad at all. Out LOTW trip thru Zippel Bay was great also, we did the shallow water sleeper with the deep water day house. Granted there isnt much of an over night bite generally speaking on LOTW, there was a good bite before sunrise and just after sunset with a good bite throughout the day in the deep water house. We only had 1 fish after 7PM between both nights and it was 18in walleye at 4AM on the rattle reel

Offline HardwaterPiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
I agree with this, but I'd stay in Bayfield.  More romantical.

Sadly my wife wouldn't see anything romantic about an ice fishing getaway. She thinks people who ice fish are bats*!t crazy! (including me!) Have fun and enjoy with whatever you decide!
ICE FISHING - We're all here because we ain't all there!

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
T-Hawker, What guide service did you guys use for Devils lake? I am trying to plan a trip there for my wife and I this ice season. Thanks in advance!

We used Brys Guide Service on Devils Lake and would recommend them (see pic).

THanks for the comments and suggestions folks - some new options to research!

Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.