Author Topic: gps's?  (Read 3060 times)

Offline bido

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rip some lips!!!!
gps's?
« on: Nov 08, 2002, 05:18 PM »
i was wondering if anyone uses a gps i'm lookin into to them and wanna know is it a great investment like my good ol' vex any comments would be appreciated ...bido

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: gps's?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2002, 06:56 PM »
bildo, my Garmin Summit is the 2nd most important piece of electronics I take icefishing. 1st being the Vex. It reads accurate to 21ft. but most of the time I'm within 5ft of the hole I marked a waypoint at. We've fished tournaments in blizzards that the only way we found the our prefishing spots was by using a gps. I would highly recommend one. It takes a while to get use to but I would be lost with out it.  ;)

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2002, 06:58 PM »
Sorry, bido.....

Offline bido

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rip some lips!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2002, 07:07 PM »
hey sandbilly you got a website for that and thats just a Garmin Summit? and that product has mapping?

Andrew Sickler

« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2002, 10:27 AM »
I have 3 GPS receivers, a basic etrex, a legend and a vista.  I use them for outdoors recreation, driving and geocaching.  For ice fishing and basic outdoors, the yellow etrex is fine.  I like the vista and legend, ( also Etrex's) as they have map capability, but you have to buy the maps on top of the gps.  I enjoy all of mine and use them at least weekly.  If you want to have fun learning to navigate with them, go to www.geocaching.com and read what it is about.  You can get hooked on it!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2002, 11:12 AM »
Andrew I have a question for you.Since you have all 3 e-trex's maybe you could give some insight into WAAS enabled.On the higher end models it states WAAS enabled and supposedly this will get you closer to your point(at least that is what I was told).Does it really work and is it worth the money? Thanks,  LoneWolf >))))>
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2002, 02:42 PM »
The Garmin site is www.garmin.com  . We lost all of our ice but I hope next round it will be here to stay.

Offline bido

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rip some lips!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2002, 03:37 PM »
now if i find a dealer in my area can i buy the maps there? or would i have to get a holf of Garmin? ..thanx   bido

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2002, 01:45 PM »
For ice fishing, all you need is an etrex. Just punch in a waypoint where you hit the ice. When you want to return, hit the waypoint and "go to". They are cheap, you dont need all the maps and stuff if your just using it to get to and back. Its light, and fits in your shirt pocket. Of course always take a compass and take a reading as you head out. You never know when you might lose "coverage". This very seldom happens on the ice, but in the woods in the summer, the canapy of the trees can cause problems.

Andrew

« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2002, 05:50 PM »
I have never had any of mine is a WAAS area.  I understand that it makes a difference, but no system in Wyoming.  No biggie though, i usually get accuracy to with in 15 feet.  As far as the signal fade in trees, I have never had a problem with it here, on any of my units.

Andrew

« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2002, 05:52 PM »
oh, buy the way, go to www.tvnav.com  they have really great prices for all Garmin units.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2002, 03:47 AM »
Thanks Andrew.I thought the WAAS was all over(out of the satelites).I didn't realize you might not be able to use it.Still 15 ft is impressive.  LoneWolf
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2002, 06:18 AM »
I have a Magellan GPS 315. I never head out without it.

Pluses: It works great for fishing. Easy to use.

Minuses: It sucks down the batteries. Could be better in heavy tree cover.

Here is a great review page:

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/gps.html

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2002, 01:40 PM »
You posted some time ago about GPS's.  I've used a Lowrance for a few years which worked fine, no mapping though.  It also chewed up NiMh batteries.  Purchased a Garmin E-trex Legend this fall and am very happy.  Can leave the GPS on for 14-16 hours on one set of batteries, only uses two AAs.  (I use iPowerUS 2100 mah batteries, get them at www.thomas-distributing.com)  The GPS has mapping and I purchased Garmin's mapsource topo maps for less than $100.  There are only two WAAS satellites currently available, I haven't received a signal yet from them.  The accuracy from most GPS units without DGPS or WAAS is usually more than adequate to get you back to your stand or "hole".  The Legend came with 8 mb of memory, enough to almost load the whole state of Maine topo maps.  Good luck!
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline outdoorwally

• IceShanty Rookie
Re:gps's?
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2004, 11:02 AM »
I have an e-trex and my brother has a very high end model with waas.The difference in accuracy isn't worth all the extra money.
Another thing A gps can do is save you a boatload of steps back to the truck at dark when there isn't any lights where you parked.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.