The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Big browns?  (Read 2177 times)

Offline cnelson

• Team IceShanty Regular
Big browns?
« on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:30 PM »
Any lakes producing trophy browns through the ice in the last couple years? -thanks-

Offline Cold toes

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Big browns?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:37 PM »
Georgetown

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:49 PM »
I would think Hegben Lake would be a likely target.  Not Hot Spotting, but I latched onto one there the day before a tournament that would have made a dead man dance.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2019, 09:52 PM »
Hegben is the most consistent producer I know of. 20 inches is pretty standard. Eniss or Quake Lakes can be good. All three lakes are strictly wild fish so it is good practice to release any but the trophy you are after or a bleeder. Eat the 16 inch bows. :tipup:

Offline WilleyBooger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2019, 08:57 PM »
Brown trout in Georgetown???

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:08 PM »

Kinda what I thought.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:10 PM »
Clark canyon used to be good for browns.

Offline Cold toes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:16 PM »

Huge ones, Like 30". They only eat corn though

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:18 PM »
Wow, never seen a brown come out of Georgetown.

Offline The Linguist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:48 PM »
GT has remnants of brown trout from nearby septic tanks. That’s what makes the weeds grow.

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2019, 10:47 PM »
Maybe Flint Creek biggest I’ve seen came out of irrigation pond in Drummond. 10+#
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline PablitoPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2019, 11:24 PM »
Irrigation ponds are the ticket. My buddy caught a 27 incher outta one a couple summers ago

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2019, 09:20 AM »
Maybe Flint Creek biggest I’ve seen came out of irrigation pond in Drummond. 10+#

I want a 10 lb brown! Interesting and definitely makes sense that irrigation ponds would produce hogs

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2019, 09:35 AM »
Ditto on the clark canyon answer. Oldest brother has a replica of a 10+ pounder on the wall of his home caught thru the ice down there, many years ago the same weekend as the Stan Shafer Memorial fishing derby. Was quite the battle. Took close to a hour to get him thru and onto the ice.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2019, 09:57 AM »
Ackley lake has some nice browns i jave heard, hebgan lake is a good bet, there have been ones bushing 20 pounds shocked by fwp before. And there were some pushing 10 pounds caught last spring after ice out
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline 429421Cowboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2019, 10:40 AM »
The only reason I'm putting this out there is because it would take a degree of work and the right equipment to get there during ice season, and because not many people fish it anymore compared to non-fishing recreationalists that have largely taken it over in recent years but...
Wade Lake. I believe the last couple state record browns have come out of there, and I have taken some large browns out of it even in recent years. Have been fishing Wade and Cliff my whole life, and my family have probably been fishing them for 70+ years. Cliff is big and has more rainbows, but a few cutts as well, but not the size of fish that come out of Wade. I'd be careful fishing Wade through the ice because it is spring fed in the middle and never ices over completely. I'd call Dave and Lori up there before I went. And it takes a long snowmobile ride back in there this time of year. Summer and fall I almost don't want to fish it anymore due to the amount of people that camp up there and recreate on the lakes, but it is worth it with a boat, even if I can't find the privacy like it used to be when I was a kid.

My 2cents. And a disclaimer, I have never ice fished it. I hope I'm not hotspotting, but I know its tough enough to get into in winter to keep most of the bums out.
East of the Rockies and west of the rest, I do my best to do my dangedest and that's about all I guess.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2019, 12:26 PM »
The only reason I'm putting this out there is because it would take a degree of work and the right equipment to get there during ice season, and because not many people fish it anymore compared to non-fishing recreationalists that have largely taken it over in recent years but...
Wade Lake. I believe the last couple state record browns have come out of there, and I have taken some large browns out of it even in recent years. Have been fishing Wade and Cliff my whole life, and my family have probably been fishing them for 70+ years. Cliff is big and has more rainbows, but a few cutts as well, but not the size of fish that come out of Wade. I'd be careful fishing Wade through the ice because it is spring fed in the middle and never ices over completely. I'd call Dave and Lori up there before I went. And it takes a long snowmobile ride back in there this time of year. Summer and fall I almost don't want to fish it anymore due to the amount of people that camp up there and recreate on the lakes, but it is worth it with a boat, even if I can't find the privacy like it used to be when I was a kid.

My 2cents. And a disclaimer, I have never ice fished it. I hope I'm not hotspotting, but I know its tough enough to get into in winter to keep most of the bums out.

Nobody gets in there that often and a lot just stick to cliff... 6 years ago we saw a 12lb brown come out of Hebgen near the dam but over deeper water 40-60ft vs 15-30ft. Fish was about 20ft under the ice as the guy explained it. Good Luck!

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:04 PM »
Someday i will get a big brown from hebgan Kyle haha. I did get one that was 23 inches this summer in my float tube but still a far cry from one 10 pounds or better

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Someday i will get a big brown from hebgan Kyle haha. I did get one that was 23 inches this summer in my float tube but still a far cry from one 10 pounds or better

You got the lake figured out pretty good, if it's gonna happen to anyone, why not you?! They really are a beautiful fish... that 12lber was an ugly brown compared to that 23"er I'd bet. i'd love landing either tho... or both! ;D

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2019, 12:20 PM »
It was pretty thin cause it was middle of summer when we were there and the water was upper 60 degrees when i caught it. I have a pictures of it, is there a better way to send them to you besides on here? It probably would happen to me if i fished it more the  once or twice a year haha

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2019, 04:51 PM »
This area of the Clark Fork river outside Plains had some big browns in it after the flooding this spring: 47.463484,  -114.924754 ;)

but seriously I have always thought it would be fun to cross country ski into Wade Lake in the winter with a pulk full of ice fishing gear and seeing what could be had out of there.

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2019, 07:28 PM »
A Lot of talk figure some pic’s are worth more than gold!! My PB from 16-17 season.

Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2019, 11:44 AM »
A Lot of talk figure some pic’s are worth more than gold!! My PB from 16-17 season.

Nice fish!! That's what I dream about happening every time I drill a hole in the ice.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.