The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hi-Line Report  (Read 576 times)

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hi-Line Report
« on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:24 PM »
Just got back from fishing the hi-line for 5 days.  Ft. Peck at the hi-line side is unfishable from Forchette (3") to the dam unless you take a boat.  Nelson had variable 8" and the bite was poor.  Warm days (upper 30's to mid 40's from Havre to Malta) means a hard cold snap is needed to make Peck fishable.  Went into Nodak past Williston.  Won't divulge where we fished but the ice conditions are very good throughout the hi-line east of the Mt. border . . . 14" - 16" with 1 ft. of snow cover.  Drove onto three lakes with a full size GMC PU without any problem.  Buddy & I caught over 40 walleye (kept our limit of 5/day x 2 days).  Most were small.  Our average keeper was only 16" but managed a few at 20".  Bite was very light forcing us to use small jigs and buckshots to be productive.  Larger walleyes wouldn't touch larger tackle and straightened our hooks with the smaller perch rigs.  Plenty of jumbo perch as well (50 keepers).  Largest was 12+", smallest 10.5".  Didn't fish pike at all or even set a single tip-up there because of strong winds.  2 man pop-up next to the truck kept us from getting our butts kicked.  Plenty of other fisherman on the ice. Long distance but worth our while. No regrets.

Mizayikaa

Re: Hi-Line Report
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:43 PM »
Sounds like a good time. Thanks for the report.

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2019, 05:28 PM »
sounds like an awesome adventure. I have to admit I'm a bit jealous. Was previously planning a trip to Minnesota this winter, but some things changed and that is off. Dang life events anyhow. !!!

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:25 PM »
It was a great time and a learning experience.  I'd rather have fished Ft. Peck but the weather hasn't been cooperative.  After 5-7 days of single digit to below zero temps, I'll certainly hit Peck again.  The hi-line is close to being fishable but not yet.  If the current weather continues being warm, I'll hit Nodak again.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:48 PM »
Sounds like a great 5 day outing slickice !!  :thumbsup:

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:36 PM »
Sounds like a real fun trip!

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2019, 08:57 AM »
Was a challenge but certainly fun.  I'm just getting started because of the limited options around Missoula.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.