The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Francis Derby  (Read 1219 times)

Offline hunting-bum

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish when I can't Hunt.
Lake Francis Derby
« on: Jan 08, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Called Lake Francis Inn and they have been booked for a week or more because of the derby.

Where are folks staying? Normally I would sleep in the shack, but with the wind we have been having I am not too keen on having my tent blow away.

Where are people getting minnows?

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Francis Derby
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2019, 05:55 PM »
Not currently planning on fishing the tourney this year, but Conrad is right up the road and is a "B" (for sports) sized town. There's also the campground right on the shores of Lake Frances, and if you are willing to sleep in the hut, the 7 day is only calling for maximum 11 mph winds on Friday and Saturday. Just keep in mind huts are supposed to be labeled/marked at Frances. I've never been checked, though. If you read the regs, it says houses at Lake Francis (spelled with an i), but later on in the regs it's spelled with an e, but I'd assume they're referencing the same lake. I can't imagine you'd have any problems, but you never know.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:58 PM »
Better check the regs about minnows too.

Offline hunting-bum

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish when I can't Hunt.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:31 PM »
Better check the regs about minnows too.

I am aware, but thanks for the reminder. I use dead minnows at Fresno and have done pretty well on tip ups and jig with the heads.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:47 PM »
None in Valier that I am aware of but depending on where you're coming from they are easy to find in Great Falls or Havre. Also I believe that there is either an airbnb or a vrbo in Valier. Haven't checked it out in a long time though. Chances are if it's still being used for a rental it would be booked but might be worth looking into. Good luck.

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:57 PM »
How much are the tickets for the derby?

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:48 PM »
Don't Facebook here.

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2019, 11:15 PM »
Conrad has a super 8 and it's only 30 minutes from valier. I'm sure they aren't booked this time of year, but it would be best to call them sooner rather than later...

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline MtPike_Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2019, 01:00 AM »
Called Lake Francis Inn and they have been booked for a week or more because of the derby.

Where are folks staying? Normally I would sleep in the shack, but with the wind we have been having I am not too keen on having my tent blow away.

Where are people getting minnows?

Roberts Bait and Tackle here in Great Falls has minnows. We got frozen shiners, frozen sucker minnows, smelt, frozen suckers. Live minnows from 1" all the way to 10". We got tickets to Valier for $15. Raffle tickets are $5 each or 3 for $15
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
                                              -Henry David Thoreau

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:16 AM »
Don't Facebook here.

Even without a Facebook I think you can still click the link and it'll open for you. Maybe I'm wrong, not sure. That address is on the Valier Development Association page and has the details for the tourney. I want to say it's $15 a head. Looks like pikemaster has it figured out already, though.

Offline lspower

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2019, 08:21 AM »
Cant make it this year,fished yesterday and the pike bite was HOT on the east side of the little island.
Catch and release into bacon grease

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.