The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Snowdog  (Read 6874 times)

Offline Aspen

• IceShanty Rookie
Snowdog
« on: Jan 08, 2019, 11:07 AM »
Does anyone have a snowdog they use for ice fishing?
Likes/dislikes?
Thanks

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Snowdog
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2019, 11:22 AM »
I have one and no complaints so far.  easy to transport and good on gas.
Fish on

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2019, 12:38 PM »
I have one and no complaints so far.  easy to transport and good on gas.

Where did you purchase it?  I'm in the market.

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2019, 12:39 PM »
Where did you purchase it?  I'm in the market.
Land Air Essex Junction, VT (800) 639-6290.  ask for Justin
Fish on

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2019, 12:44 PM »
They are pretty cool! And when they crash it’s pretty funny! Here is an action photo of one on marshfield res!
Later in the day they discovered that you can fit 2 camp chairs in the sled perfectly, but this moment will live forever!

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2019, 12:55 PM »
They are pretty cool! And when they crash it’s pretty funny! Here is an action photo of one on marshfield res!
Later in the day they discovered that you can fit 2 camp chairs in the sled perfectly, but this moment will live forever!

Keith I need you!  The manual says we can "daisy chain" riders together!
Fish on

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2019, 01:46 PM »
Im sure those guys are so happy that picture is out there on the net.
Good stuff.
They're probably from waterbury.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2019, 03:50 PM »
Keith I need you!  The manual says we can "daisy chain" riders together!

Hahahaha

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:53 AM »
They look really cool but seem super expensive. Whats the advantage over a 4 wheeler or snow mobile other than seeming to be a lil smaller. Just curious?

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:48 AM »
They look really cool but seem super expensive. Whats the advantage over a 4 wheeler or snow mobile other than seeming to be a lil smaller. Just curious?
Easy to transport and less expensive then a 4 wheeler or snowmobile.  I am able to fit mine in the back of a Honda CRV.  you also dont have to register it because it is not a motor vehicle and has no VIN number. 
Fish on

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2019, 07:11 AM »
Awesome thanks for the info

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:40 AM »
that thing looks cool. Reminds me of the old husky and I think bowens made one too ;D in the late 60's . they had a sled with a seat on it attached to sit on. Have not seen one in years. Are you sure you don't need a registration ?  I thought all motorized craft needed reg and insurance. I have to register my canoe if I put my electric motor on it...insurance covered under home owner policy .  Just curious ...I could very well be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time  ;D

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:33 AM »
that thing looks cool. Reminds me of the old husky and I think bowens made one too ;D in the late 60's . they had a sled with a seat on it attached to sit on. Have not seen one in years. Are you sure you don't need a registration ?  I thought all motorized craft needed reg and insurance. I have to register my canoe if I put my electric motor on it...insurance covered under home owner policy .  Just curious ...I could very well be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time  ;D
Yes no registration needed- it is considered a mobility device.  I confirmed with the DMV and the game wardens.
Fish on

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:11 PM »
good to hear you can do something without having to give money to the state. Last year a game warden threatened to fine me close to $200.00 for not having my name on my clam fish trap.  ??? Told him I didn't plan on leaving it when i left. would not have paid it anyway !

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:02 PM »
Yeah 20 years ago the warden on Willy was a minute away from ticketing me for
no name on my pop up shelter.  Till I found a business card!

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2019, 05:02 PM »
This will be my second season with mine.  Love it.  And, I've towed 600# of passengers and gear in knee deep powder without issue.

I do use a folding ramp to get it in the bed of my truck.

There were no dealers in VT when I bought mine so I bought it from a shop in ME.

I spoke to the folks at Land Air the other day about some replacement parts (brake pads) and they seemed like a solid outfit.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:39 AM »
I usually throw last years license in the pouch on my pop up. Keep the wardens happy. As u said its not like your going to leave it behind

Offline marabou

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2019, 02:28 PM »
These things look handy as heck to haul out a late season buck deep in the woods

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2019, 03:26 AM »
These things look handy as heck to haul out a late season buck deep in the woods

And since it's not considered a vehicle, you could probably run it on public land.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2021, 10:44 AM »
Thinking about getting a Snowdog! Still no worries about registration?
Jig em up!

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2021, 11:18 AM »
Not yet- there is no vin number on these
Fish on

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2021, 12:38 PM »
I didnt pull the trigger last year.  Waffled due to a alight desire to buy a sled.  However, trailers, registrations and different restrictions for each state scare me away...

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2021, 11:50 AM »
I didnt pull the trigger last year.  Waffled due to a alight desire to buy a sled.  However, trailers, registrations and different restrictions for each state scare me away...
I hear ya bud.. Im getting tired of paying registrations and insurance on my snowmobile and trailer.
Jig em up!

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2021, 12:41 PM »
They tip over sideways real easy.

Offline FishingPhil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2021, 08:13 PM »
On my third year using the dog for ice fishing.  Absolutely love it! It’s a work horse! I’ve towed easily 1,000 pounds worth of people and their gear out for miles on the ice.
I strongly recommend studding the track (the track already has inserts for studs), sled skate kit to keep the towing sleds in a straight line behind the snowdog. I use aluminum folding Ramps and can easily drive it into the bed of my truck. My buddies have put the snowdog in the back of a CRV.  Takes up very little room in my shed during the off season compared to a snowmobile. I do a lot of hole hoping and it’s so easy now. I leave my otter pullover  hooked up to the dog and just bounce around. Sips fuel, and it’s gets going pretty well. I’ll cruise at 17-20mph if the conditions are good. Slush will be the enemy. Although, most snowmobiles will struggle in deep slush. Especially towing gear.  I spray Pam on the sleds to help with any snow/ice accumulation.  Extremely happy with the snowdog.
Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2021, 10:09 AM »
On my third year using the dog for ice fishing.  Absolutely love it! It’s a work horse! I’ve towed easily 1,000 pounds worth of people and their gear out for miles on the ice.
I strongly recommend studding the track (the track already has inserts for studs), sled skate kit to keep the towing sleds in a straight line behind the snowdog. I use aluminum folding Ramps and can easily drive it into the bed of my truck. My buddies have put the snowdog in the back of a CRV.  Takes up very little room in my shed during the off season compared to a snowmobile. I do a lot of hole hoping and it’s so easy now. I leave my otter pullover  hooked up to the dog and just bounce around. Sips fuel, and it’s gets going pretty well. I’ll cruise at 17-20mph if the conditions are good. Slush will be the enemy. Although, most snowmobiles will struggle in deep slush. Especially towing gear.  I spray Pam on the sleds to help with any snow/ice accumulation.  Extremely happy with the snowdog.

Great info!! Thanks  @)
Jig em up!

Offline TNSTAAFL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 24, 2021, 05:00 AM »
On my third year using the dog for ice fishing.  Absolutely love it!
New here and I can't figure out how to PM.

Does your model have reverse? If yes, do you feel it's really necessary?

Is your Otter flip the 1-man? Been looking at that particular pairing.

Thanks for posting about your experience with the dog.

Offline FishingPhil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2021, 11:41 AM »
I have the standard snowdog without reverse. I’ve never encountered a reason to need the reverse. When the machine is running, you can pull it backwards relatively easy.
As for the otter, I have the XT X-Over Lodge. It’s a 2-3 person flip over.

Offline TNSTAAFL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2021, 11:54 AM »
I have the standard snowdog without reverse. I’ve never encountered a reason to need the reverse. When the machine is running, you can pull it backwards relatively easy.
As for the otter, I have the XT X-Over Lodge.
Thanks! Good to get confirmation about the reverse.
Nice setup. I also meant to ask about standing in a separate sled, so thanks for the pics! Good luck out there!

Offline FishingPhil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2021, 11:57 AM »
I’ll only stand for additional visibility (getting on/off the ice, parking lots, and crossing pressure ridges)  The swivel seat is pretty comfortable. Can adjust the handles bars front to back as well. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.