The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: looking to take out the kids  (Read 848 times)

Offline indy597

• IceShanty Rookie
looking to take out the kids
« on: Jan 07, 2019, 12:00 PM »
would like to take out the kids this weekend (ages 4,5,7) for some flag chasing but I'm unsure where. i typically only go a couple times a year up in Belgrade hunting big pike...we live in Gorham and don't know the lakes down here as well. Crappie, WP, bass would be fun maybe get lucky with a brookie or brown. we have snowmobiles and the kids love when we can use them so a place with sled access/parking is a plus. I've lurked here a while and I know folks dont like to publicly burn spots but if anyone wants to PM me a suggestion or two I'm sure the kiddos would appreciate it.  Happy to share advice for whats worked for me in Belgrade in exchange.

Offline LimerickShaw

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: looking to take out the kids
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2019, 01:10 PM »
Otter ponds you're bound to catch a few fish I would imagine. You'd just need to get there really early or go late in the afternoon and just take over peoples holes.

Offline apresby11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:08 PM »
Otter Ponds in Standish, Pettingill Pond in Windham, Chaffin Pond in Windham, Raymond Pond in Raymond, Lake Arrowhead in Limerick, Bonney Eagle Lake in Standish, Tripp Pond in Poland all have easy access and a bunch of warm water fish.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2019, 06:05 PM »
Otter ponds is good for some flags, but there a bit of a walk and a steep hill, so the younger kids will need some help. Also, there’s is a big section of otter 2 that is still open, so stay away from that side. Lake arrowhead has flowing water and limited public access, the lake association has been known to tow anyone parked along the road.  I personally like either sokokis or pickerel pond in that same area for some fun with flags or perch jigging.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2019, 05:24 AM »
Not sure if you have seen weekend forecast or not but supposed to be real cold , maybe better to wait until warmer given age of kids.  Last thing you want to do is turn them off from something they might otherwise enjoy if not for fridgid temps.  Just a thought. :tipup:

Offline brookmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:23 AM »
Sokokis lake in limerick is great to bring kids, lots of bass pickerel and perch.

Offline 8orach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:19 PM »
Highly recommend Petingill pond, small launch off Angler road that should be plowed enough to park a few cars. Unbelievable amount of smaller bass and perch, should be able to chase flags ALL day if you set up right. Being from Gorham also, there are plenty of ponds/lakes in the Sebago region but Petingill is an easy access pond for kids with plenty of fish (an even the chance for a big brown trout). I never fish the Otter ponds after the first few weeks, as soon as the ice is thick enough for an auger, it's already been too pressured. 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:29 PM »
Also east of Pettengill pond is little Sebago with nice Rainbows, perch, Browns and a nice place to access not far away 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.