Author Topic: Another Large Laker  (Read 5003 times)

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
Another Large Laker
« on: Mar 16, 2006, 08:30 PM »
Well, I had another memorable day and had the lake almost all to myself, had one other guy across the way. I was fishing blind no electronics, just jigging thru the ice after I drilled an "Alaska Monster hole" >:D. I was fishing the "golden time" and landed a whopper. Biggest Lake Trout for me to date weighing in at 28lbs and 36 inches. The biggest fresh water fish I have caught yet, definitely through an ice hole. It is even bigger than any salmon in the rivers that I have reeled in. Put on a real good fight that lasted a few minutes, it seemed like an eternity. When I got the fish near the hole, all I saw was this large magnificent fish from the bottom of the hole, looked like a "shark":woot: from my point of view. My arms were feeling it in the end too. I only had one bad feeling after keeping it, I found that it was a female full of eggs :'(. I have only taken two fish out of this magnificent lake so far and the rest have been all C&R :) I gave a fillet to the lady who gave me the free ice shanty I was fishing from, it was the least I could do since it is a nice portable and in really good shape.  The rest I will probably smoke since the meat is nice and oily and a very nice texture. Too bad the tourney is over :( it would have placed well. At least I will get some certificates from the state for my fish I have been catching ;).

This has been a challenging lake to fish in the winter for many and I have been lucky thanks to my fishing buddy AkDan for confiding in me the techniques acquired to to have good success thru trial and error, hard work and a lot of patience :thumbsup: :clap:.  One tradition I have learned from my wife :bow: a long time ago and we are both passing down to our daughter; we always say thanks to an animal or fish by giving it an offering to keep the luck alive, we do this with any wild creature we harvest.

I am thankful for everyday I am able to go out and enjoy this little slice of Heaven I call home; Alaska. Here's to many more successful days in the future ;).

Thanks to all the IS members for all your useful info and for letting me share my memories afield, and helping to pass on all we have learned to our future fishing ones. :tipup: :thumbsup: :clap:

Sincerely

Brad, the "Fishinin Fireman"

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Another Large Laker
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2006, 10:41 PM »

Sweet fish!  Can't tell who's happier, you or the kid.

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2006, 01:16 AM »
Way to go Brad, that is one nice fish. Looks like you've got it figured out pretty darn good.

Offline ice fishNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2006, 06:09 AM »
That thing is AWESOME.  The monster hole is pretty impressive too!
fishNH @ MFF  huntNH @ MHF

Offline bigfish1556

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2006, 07:29 AM »
That's a gorgeous laker - great color, nice and plump, and looks extremely healthy and well fed :)  Nice spot ya got yourself there!  Congrats!

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2006, 08:21 AM »
 ;D that hole should have had one more drillingto it
the 4 leaf clover hole

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2006, 02:27 PM »
Awesome fish Fishin Fireman! Way to go!  ;D

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2006, 02:35 PM »
Man what a beaut!  So many lakers I see seem perty scrawny.  What a hoss!  Congrats

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline BUCK1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2006, 08:52 PM »
Nice Fish!  That is a fish of a lifetime! I hope i am lucky enough someday to catch a laker of that size!!! 

Fish on

BUCK1
"Fish on Brother!"

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2006, 02:09 PM »
congrats man! thats just how i like em....short and fat!Very nice pattern of spots to boot.is she goin on the wall?

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2006, 07:19 PM »
HOlY Sh:t that is one huge laker!

Nice job man.. let is know how it tastes when it gets out of the smoker! YUM!

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2006, 11:20 PM »
What a great Laker :thumbsup: 

-Grizz

Offline komocazie74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2006, 01:48 AM »
man that thing is HUGE.  Good thing you made the mickey mouse hole because it looks like that thing wouldn't have fit otherwise ;D

you only live once- take time to enjoy it

Offline springer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2006, 07:52 AM »
Nice and fat laker dude. Those holes look like BC size holes that we use here for big lakers. Sure looks fat and healthy. Ours seem longer and not so over weight ;D Must be good fisheries in the lake you were fishing ;D
Great post.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2006, 01:31 PM »
Dude that thing is absolutely huge!! I wish I could get into some lakers here in ny that big, hell or half as big for that matter!! ;D
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Hungry4Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 27, 2006, 02:09 PM »
What a huge fish!

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2006, 12:09 AM »
hey from jackson, wy.  i wish i could see the pictures...  something happened to break the link.  what makes that happen, so i know what to avoid?   anyway, check out the jackson/pinedale hardwater hotspots in the "icefishing the west" forum.  I've never been to AK, but from all of my buddies' accounts, Jackson and the surrounding areas have a lot in common with your state up north.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.