The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bird dog on the ice  (Read 2657 times)

Offline GFPikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
Bird dog on the ice
« on: Jan 01, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Does anyone have any tips on bringing your dog ice fishing? My old lab goes crazy when I’m getting ready in the morning, thinking we are going bird hunting. I feel bad leaving him behind but worry about his feet on the ice and staying warm/dry in general. We have a house/heater, so I’m thinking a waterfowl style bed for him to lay on?

Mizayikaa

Re: Bird dog on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2019, 05:09 PM »
I have a raised bed for mine that works well. Takes up some room in the shack though. Just a piece of cardboard makes a big difference. Especially if you put a wool blanket on top of it.

Offline monk38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2019, 05:23 PM »
My bird dog labs come with me every trip no matter how cold.  The old dog sits on the shelter bench with me.  honestly they don't really get cold.  something for them to lay on would be good i guess on a long day, but normally they just get snow all over it anyway, and then just lay in the snow!  They love to carry fish around! good luck

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2019, 05:40 PM »
My comments may not be what you were looking for, but PLEASE keep your dog under control! I can't tell you how many dog "owners" let their dogs run, and they tear up others fishing rigs, urinate on their shanties, or sleds full of gear, grab others fish off the ice that they had caught, and the list goes on and on and on. I'm guessing dog owners find these activities amusing, and/or have a higher tolerance for such bad behavior, but the rest of us don't. Thanks for training your dogs!

Offline GFPikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2019, 06:06 PM »
I would be embarrassed if my dog took off and stole a fish or messed up a tip up.  He’s a well behaved mutt.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2019, 06:18 PM »
Mine is a Griffon and with his wirehair he seems to prefer cold weather and snow. The feet can become a problem on the ice after a while though. Bare ice with no snow makes them cold fast and when they get ice chunks built up between their pads it can become bothersome. Anything to give them a chance to get their feet warmed up a bit they seem to really appreciate.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2019, 06:43 PM »
I do not dislike dogs or any pet/animal for that matter. Sure, you need to take care of them but when I'm already on the ice I've probably got an auger (or two) laying about without the guards, a rod or tipup with exposed hooks that could get run into and maybe a hot grill with or with out food than could be run into. People friendly dogs are the worst. They're naturally curious and gregarious and just want to be your friend and see what's going on. That's a recipe for animal injury.

Personally, I'm not moving any of my stuff, running to put rods or tippys up, guards on and standing to protect your critter from my grill. That's up to you. If Fido does get into any of my stuff, I'll hold you responsible not the dog. They don't know any better than what you've taught them. Not wishing any ill will, but if you don't take the steps to keep Fido out of my stuff, it's on you not me. I pity the dog whose owner doesn't care enough to keep them out of my stuff.

Not trying to discourage, just sharing my view as a non-pet bringer. Little kids, same deal. If I bring 'em, I'm responsible to keep 'em safe and they learn to respect other's space and property.

Just sayin' there's more to it than making sure your dog is comfortable...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Mizayikaa

« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2019, 07:02 PM »
I agree that people should keep their dogs under control and if you can do so I say take them everywhere. Most dogs are better behaved and more respectful than the majority of people out there.

Offline JH57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2019, 07:08 PM »
I have dog booties - mostly for summer use so they dont scratch up the raft, but I know mushers use them.  Mushers also use a paw wax to keep ice and snow from sticking to their paws.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2019, 07:19 PM »
Most dogs are better behaved and more respectful than the majority of people out there.

You must meet more responsible dog owners than I do... Again, it's not the dogs, it's the owners ability to keep them out of trouble without me having to worry about it.

oldschoolben

« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2019, 07:24 PM »
I have a black lab ,I took her to Upsata with me on a couple trial trips, she did  good,  the last trip was pretty slushy  for her, but she loves to go, she is my fishing buddt I namwd her Pike ,  lol

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2019, 07:36 PM »
I throw some foam in the bottom of my sled for my dog which works well. In the tent or out of it he just hangs around and watches the flasher for me.  He goes with me most days but is a good dog and stays close and doesn’t get into other people’s areas. Fair warning, I did have him fall in a hole one time that someone pushed snow back into and cut his leg which resulted in 17 staples and 7 stitches in his leg so be sure if you take your dog he doesn’t run around and find a covered hole by mistake.

Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2019, 07:38 PM »
I took my black lab with me most days before she passed.

She wore a harness with a caribiner in the leash handle to clip to the pull rope of my jetsled XL to help pull out and back, makes a difference.  A jetsled Jr was on top of the XL with her bed and blanket in it.  Once I started fishing she could lay down and stay warm as she wanted to but I also had her clipped to a 25 foot lead attached to an ice anchor.

oldschoolben

« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2019, 07:46 PM »
My biggest issue  I have with my dog is everyone tries to pet her, I have chewed out a few people for petting my dog when she is in the back of my truck, or when I'm walking her people just come uo and try to pet her, that makes it difficult to train her ,  she is a lab so she already wants everyone to love on her, but I am trying to  break her of that, some people just have no common  sense,  I never pet a dog unless the owner tells me its ok

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2019, 08:21 PM »
I have a blue heeler who would love to go but she is so over protective of anything she knows is mine and she hates being touched by anyone she doesn't know. She has one solution for every problem, bite it and see if that fixes it. She is awesome on cattle and she finds sheds for me and will even hunt pheasants but bringing her to a lake where there will be other people fishing is an accident waiting to happen, so I don't bring her.

Offline monk38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2019, 08:23 PM »
My younger dog always wears her shock collar on the ice, same as hunting.  visiting people without their approval is NOT acceptable.  Unfortunately like all things irresponsible people are the problem. sit, stay and come should mean something....

oldschoolben

« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2019, 08:24 PM »
 Ive had a couple heelers as well, tyey are a great dog, and are very protective

Mizayikaa

« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2019, 08:50 PM »
You must meet more responsible dog owners than I do... Again, it's not the dogs, it's the owners ability to keep them out of trouble without me having to worry about it.
Again, I agree that dogs should be under control, and I agree that it is the owner, not the dogs responsibility to do so. It seems to me however that most of the dog owners that have piped in here are bird dog owners which tells me that they are sportsman other than just ice fisherman and probably do have control of their dogs. Granted this is just speculation and maybe I just like dogs more than people but I am yet to see a dog leave cigarette butts and beer can scattered across the ice or tear up the land spinning cookies in there trucks. I have spent time on the ice with dogs that have no business being there and it is not a pleasant time, but in the interest of respectable dog owners, which I assume the original poster is, may we help him to find a way to enjoy his hobby with his friend.

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:04 PM »
I brought my brother in laws German shorthair up to the cabin last summer in the boat and he was a handful.  Lol
He’s 6 so settling down a little but that’s a shorthair.  You got a lab so I’d bet you would be good getting a bed for him

Mizayikaa

« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:42 PM »
Great lookin pup Jagger. love the Grifs. Welcome at my shack anytime.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:50 PM »
My comments may not be what you were looking for, but PLEASE keep your dog under control!

100% agree.  Don't even contemplate bringing your dog if it's not under immediate control.  That being said, I bring my dog on every outing.  He's an excellent companion, hates being left behind, and is under excellent verbal control.  If our dogs have an encounter, it's because your dog entered my dog's zone of comfort.  (He is protective after all, and despite all the "stay" commands I'm giving him, he'll intercept if you and your pooch get too close.)

Esox, you'd be surprised.  I certainly can't speak for everyone in Montana, nor do I pretend to understand everything you endure in a more-populated environment, but I've yet to go ice fishing in northwest Montana and be crowded.  I bring my dog and therefore find a spot where he won't: enter your area (where your auger blades are exposed/lines are set/food is cooking).  I understand the situation is likely different in Wisconsin, but don't discourage someone potentially 1,500 miles away from bringing their dog with them just because you've, I'm guessing, have had bad experiences with irresponsible pet owners. 

That being said, GFPikeman, I offer my dog all sorts of options to stay comfortable and he tends to ignore them.  He's an Australian-Shepherd/Collie mix and has long hair that tends to get wet and freeze if I don't trim it, but I doubt your lab has that issue?  Give your lab something like a Carhartt seat cover to lay out on (even better put that in your sled, he/she might like that if the wind is up...black sleds also get warm in the sun!) and make sure ice doesn't collect in the pads as someone else mentioned. If it seems like his pads are bothering him, buy some booties like JH57 said.  If the dog-sled folks use them they must work.  Bring your dog and enjoy! (Oh...just a pet peeve of mine, but collect its mess.  Lakes look a lot different in the spring when the snow has melted.)

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:52 PM »
its pretty simple..if ya dawg or your woman is chill....bring em out..know I would want nuthin to do with an uncomfortable woman..or a spastic dog on the ice...just sayin...

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2019, 10:05 PM »
Thanks RuralMT, you are right. Back here there's lots of people, lots of pressure and the odds of encountering a jackwagon and their companions (human or animal) are exponentially increased. Plus (and it's a BIG plus), you just made me remember the years I spent in far NW S.Dak. The culture of people in that part of the country is very different from here. I missed it when we left and haven't thought about it in a long time but now you made me miss it again.

Offline DKoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2019, 02:32 AM »
I have a black lab and trained him for birds and shed antlers. He goes EVERYWHERE with me, to include ice fishing. We went out on 1/1/19 and kicked butt! As far as crowding goes, be respectful and don't set up right next to other people. My dog is under control, never on leash, but he listens to me. If you don't like dogs on ice, too bad... mine will be there. As far as the dogs comfort, I take an "iso Matt" that can be bought at Walmart for 14 dollars (The blue foam matts). If the dog is not on the mat, it doubles as a place to kneel on/keep stuff off the snow. My dog sits/sleeps on that and is just fine. He stays in the shelter with me unless a tip up goes off, then we run together to get the fish. He helps by licking the slim off the pike lol ;D! He also found out the hard way that perch fight back, I tossed the fish next to me not thinking about it and he wanted a snack hahaha, last time he does that I bet. Back to dogs on ice, just be cordial and pick up their poop, don't let them run into other people's fishing area, and if you think there will be an issue, keep them in your shelter at all times. A few other ideas that I have used in a pinch because I forgot the pups chair, I have used the bag to my shelter, put him in the sled, took the floor matts to my truck, etc. Also, for a while I was using a piece of cut carpet, worked good and he liked it, but it tended to want to stick to the ice and was at times a bugger to remove. Hope that helps, and don't let anyone discourage you from taking your best friend.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
-Ronald Reagan-

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2019, 07:22 AM »
Great lookin pup Jagger. love the Grifs. Welcome at my shack anytime.

It’s a bit of a hike to montana from PA but don’t count us out. If I get a chance to head out to Montana to ice fish very little will stop us. The dogs name is Jagger if we show up someday.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2019, 07:30 AM »
This thread reminded me of the trip I was on a couple years ago. The dog was an idiot because the owners were.  The dog growled at anyone that go within 100 yards of it. It didn't help that the owners had zero control of it or attempted to control it other than yelling its name every 30 seconds from sunrise to sundown. The woman literally yelled that dogs name 800 times at the top of her lungs. I would've thought after about the 700 time she wouldve figured out that the dog is deaf or doesn't know its name or doesn't understand English....

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2019, 10:25 AM »
The dog owners who believe constant yelling constitutes “control” are the most embarrassing to other owners, not to mention the most annoying to everyone on the ice. Sadly, some parents fall in the same category. If your dog won’t easily respond to spoken and/or whistle commands to keep them quiet and at your spot, they probably shouldn’t be on the ice, at least not unrestrained. Shelter ice screws make great tie-outs. If yours is a barker, please leave it at home.

My Lab will accompany me depending upon the situation (e.g. density of anglers, weather, etc.) If I’m tending a bunch of tip-ups or -downs away from the crowd, there’s plenty of opportunity to toss a retrieving bumper along the way to keep him engaged and warm. If the plan is to sit in a flip surrounded by other anglers while jigging for 8 hours, he doesn’t get much out of the deal and would be better off at home.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2019, 12:32 PM »
Jezzabelle goes with me pretty much everytime and enjoys sitting in the shack by the heater just as much as playing in the snow... There have been days when she will just sit in the shack all day especially when the ice is glare (claws are not creepers, they will fall and smack their chin on the ice) or if its really cold.
I've never let her roam around and never will, shes on a 50 foot lead when not inside, my dog my problem... If someone wants to come to her more power to them, she loves people.

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline HookSet_J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:43 PM »
I take my yellow lab everywhere, and found this great anti-fatigue mat at Harbor Freight.  It weighs next to nothing, and the four pieces lock together like a jigsaw puzzle - keeping both of us up off the ice:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

Our Quickfish 3 has 6x6 feet of fishable space, and this mat pieces together as 5x5 feet -  allowing plenty of room for holes along two walls.

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:43 PM »
She was always content to just watch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.