Author Topic: Clam plate wobble issue?  (Read 22807 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Clam plate wobble issue?
« Reply #90 on: Dec 26, 2018, 01:28 PM »
You can see the bend between the first and second hole from the drill end. Looks like the shaft from clam plate is smooth like you say. Absolutely warranty that extension! I have a clam extension also, still sitting in the box. I dont mind bending over a little on the thin ice and the shorter auger fits in my sleds better.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Dec 26, 2018, 01:32 PM »
Here you go. I took the shaft out of the clam plate and mounted it to the drill As you can see it wobbles a lot and you can feel it while holding the drill. SO I tried it with out the clam Extension and it spins smooth. I then took the Clam Extension and ran it on a table and found the extension is bent. IT had to come this way because it always wobbled badly. I am going to contact Clam and see what they will do for me. I will try and send them the video I am uploading to Youtube. 
&feature=youtu.be

Yeah, extension or auger shaft is bent in that video, not the top side..

<°)))>{

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #92 on: Dec 26, 2018, 01:33 PM »
Also I looked at the extension some more and found they welded the long shaft on at an angle.  THe longest part is nice and smooth running across a table but the shorter part wobbles.
<===Lefty===

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Dec 26, 2018, 01:41 PM »
Its the extension... Did you tighten the wing bolt down really tight?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #94 on: Dec 26, 2018, 01:47 PM »
Its the extension... Did you tighten the wing bolt down really tight?
Yes in fact I put some tape on there to make it tighter. I also found out that if I move the extension down farther on the plate shaft I can get it to spin smooth. I will do another video of that.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #95 on: Dec 26, 2018, 01:59 PM »
Extension moved down without the Set wingnut.
&feature=youtu.be
Ran it slow so you can see no wobble.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #96 on: Dec 26, 2018, 02:27 PM »
OK, so since I am someone that wants things to work I ordered the Ice Master(Thank you 3300)GOt it today and I attached it to the clam extension. No wobble at all. It must be the shaft on the clam plate and not the extension or it is because the plate shaft goes in further than the Ice master does. Whatever it is I got it to work for me now and the Clam plate is going to be returned.. Never needed it before but thought I would give it a try.
<===Lefty===

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Dec 26, 2018, 02:36 PM »
Chinese Parts
Chinese Tolerances

Do you expect any better from the Kings of Chinese Ice fishing junk?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #98 on: Dec 26, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Chinese Parts
Chinese Tolerances

Do you expect any better from the Kings of Chinese Ice fishing junk?
Not me. No matter how much they improve they are years behind.
<===Lefty===

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #99 on: Dec 26, 2018, 03:18 PM »
Lefty is your shaft inside the clam plate solid silver color or heat treated golden/rainbow color?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #100 on: Dec 26, 2018, 03:26 PM »
Lefty is your shaft inside the clam plate solid silver color or heat treated golden/rainbow color?
I would call it solid silver. It has a little tint to it but not Golden. After all the testing I have done,it has something to do with the extension shaft
and if you put the shaft from the plate into it between these two points marked in red you get the wobble. If I put the extension on barely I have no wobble.  As as you know the plate shft has to go in pretty far to line up the holes.

<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #101 on: Dec 26, 2018, 03:31 PM »
kev wants to know color of shaft that the chuck grabs. should be goldish/green like mine is.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #102 on: Dec 26, 2018, 03:37 PM »
kev wants to know color of shaft that the chuck grabs. should be goldish/green like mine is.
Just a slight tint to it. Looks like oil to me.

<===Lefty===

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Dec 26, 2018, 04:28 PM »
 Here's how mine looks when spinning. Very little runout.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #104 on: Dec 26, 2018, 04:37 PM »
Doesn't work.
<===Lefty===

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #106 on: Dec 26, 2018, 04:41 PM »
Just a slight tint to it. Looks like oil to me.

Ok thats correct. Some went out a couple years ago without hardened shafts and they bent causing wobble, thought maybe you got one.. couldnt tell from your video.

Hook the auger straight to the plate and see if it wobbles, be an easy test to see if its the extension i guess.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #107 on: Dec 26, 2018, 04:42 PM »
Here's how mine looks when spinning. Very little runout.

says "this video is not available."

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Dec 26, 2018, 04:43 PM »
 Should work now

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #109 on: Dec 26, 2018, 04:47 PM »
that's about what mine has until I put my auger on.my new 8" mora auger may be bent a  little.leftys extension has to be bent for sure that's 100 times worse than my setup.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Dec 26, 2018, 04:55 PM »

That's with a gear box. It shakes because it's off balance, but cuts perfect...

<°)))>{

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Dec 26, 2018, 04:56 PM »
That extension looks like it was made by a couple of 8 year olds. Thats the problem...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #112 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:00 PM »
Here you go. I took the shaft out of the clam plate and mounted it to the drill As you can see it wobbles a lot and you can feel it while holding the drill. SO I tried it with out the clam Extension and it spins smooth. I then took the Clam Extension and ran it on a table and found the extension is bent. IT had to come this way because it always wobbled badly. I am going to contact Clam and see what they will do for me. I will try and send them the video I am uploading to Youtube. 
&feature=youtu.be
mine looks likes lefty's.
clam watched his video while i was on the phone with them. he said it is how it should look and go drill some holes. i told him lefty tried drilling holes with it and it wouldn't cut right and then he blamed not catting right on his auger. so clam corp is worthless.

i told him mine has a measurable bend to it and he said take a phone video and email it. this means they don't trust me.
he could have dropped a new output shaft in the mail for me instead of saying it's all good. i asked about the trigger mod with the spring and he said he did it to his was all i got out them fixing their trigger.

Phone: 1-800-ICE-FISH
Fax: 763-231-4121
Email: [email protected]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n13LLWG3yR8
looks perfect! too bad ours isn't any thing like that.

so two totally different video's of this thing and the bent shaft version video is how it's supposed to look according to customer service at clam corp.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #113 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:05 PM »
The crazy thing is the extension works great with the Kovak adapter but not while hooked to the Clam Plate. I will go out and get my Auger and attach it to the plate directly. OK I connected the auger direct to the clam plate and it wobbles all over the place also. SO now I guess I have to blame the clam plate. I have an email into Clam to see what they say. May never hear back from them.
<===Lefty===

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:06 PM »
mine looks likes lefty's.
clam watched his video while i was on the phone with them. he said it is how it should look and go drill some holes. i told him lefty tried drilling holes with it and it wouldn't cut right and then he blamed not catting right on his auger. so clam corp is worthless.

i told him mine has a measurable bend to it and he said take a phone video and email it. this means they don't trust me.
he could have dropped a new output shaft in the mail for me instead of saying it's all good. i asked about the trigger mod with the spring and he said he did it to his was all i got out them fixing their trigger.

Phone: 1-800-ICE-FISH
Fax: 763-231-4121
Email: [email protected]
looks perfect! too bad ours isn't any thing like that.

so two totally different video's of this thing and the bent shaft version video is how it's supposed to look according to customer service at clam corp.

Wish I had a plate and extension.  I would take it to work and find out EXACTLY how crapty it was, down to .0001" and then ask what they allow for tolerances and runout on the extensions before telling them what I got, lol.

That is frustrating 3300.  Can you get your money back and just get a new plate and extension? 

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:08 PM »
The more I mess with mine the more I am convinced that the adaptor that goes through the bearing is bent. I can see it wobble with/without the extension and the auger. I get clam says it's ok to have some play, but I don't think it should be bent.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #116 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:09 PM »
Thanks for the update 3300. I still haven't heard back from them and now I don't expect to since they said it is my augers fault.
<===Lefty===

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #117 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:10 PM »
The crazy thing is the extension works great with the Kovak adapter but not while hooked to the Clam Plate. I will go out and get my Auger and attach it to the plate directly. OK I connected the auger direct to the clam plate and it wobbles all over the place also. SO now I guess I have to blame the clam plate. I have an email into Clam to see what they say. May never hear back from them.

If the inside diameters and outside diameters arent fit SNUG, when you tighten the wing nut, you're essentially "bending" the extension where the two meet.

Think of it this way, put a pencil in an empty toilet paper roll - the pencil will NOT stand up straight because of all the extra room. Now if that toilet paper roll was just baaaaarely big enough for the pencil , it'll be much, much straighter.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #118 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:15 PM »
I personally will never buy another clam product. I was going to contact Dicks but I don't have the box anymore because I just don't save boxes when I think I am good to go. Not sure what to do with the plate now.
<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #119 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:18 PM »
Thanks for the update 3300. I still haven't heard back from them and now I don't expect to since they said it is my augers fault.
I didn't get a lick of customer support from clam on those nintinol titaniums bobbers a few years back when the indicators went limp in the cold.i ended up throwing them in the garbage.clam never offered to replace them even tho they used the wrong titanium on the batch of indicators I got.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.