New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Couple Guys Through the Ice Near SBH  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Jack Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Couple Guys Through the Ice Near SBH
« on: Mar 13, 2006, 09:52 AM »
Heard a couple guys went throught the ice near the old ship on Saturday.  I'm taking up a collection to buy some thermometers for our less intelligent brethren.  Any takers? Hope someone's house didn't burn to the ground while these guys were getting pulled out by the FD.

jack

Offline jdjyoung

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get the gaf, I'm catching this one!
Re: Couple Guys Through the Ice Near SBH
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:10 AM »
  Happens every year!

Guess the ice rats up there aren't to smart! " What do ya think dude? Yeah, two inches of punk ice oughta hold us, lets give it a try!"  Duhhh.....

JD
" I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day at work anytime!"

crowkiller

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:18 AM »
my mama always said STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES

Offline blaque

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:25 AM »
I think its funny how in every post you read about someone going through the ice.....teh reaction is usually ridicule. (if they end up not getting hurt or killed that is). Someone survives a bear attack........ya usually dont hear "Man what a dumb#ss" lol. I dunno, i just think its pretty funnny how heartless people are when we have to use our money to save a life. Dont get me wrong, i agree to a point, its like having to spend money on those idiots who like to base jump off monuments and get stuck in the power wires. But maybe these guys seriously just dont know the behavior of ice and rain lol, im usually willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Offline jighead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:31 AM »
I dont buy it. If you are on sketchy ice you have serious problems in the noggin! Did they test it with a spud bar? I doubt it. It may sound heartless but even though NO ice is 100% safe, there are ways to approach 100% buy using the tools of the trade. If a spud pokes through with one easy poke, you should not be on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:36 AM »
The breed that fishes the harbor is low class and uninformed. Sorry for the generalization but when you see that much crap on the ice goes to show their ability to test the ice and be INFORED about conditions.

Man where darwin when ya need em?

Got some goofy looks from the people on cuba but there was 10 inches out there.
Wonder how they will look to see me getting on the ice with waders and a life vest???
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:59 AM »
I usually think "glad it wasn't me" when I hear a story about someone going through, but a lot of times it sounds like they were on ice conditions that I would never attempt.  I support other ice fishermen, and have to sympathize when they have an ordeal, but sometimes I question the common sense factor as well.  There is definitely a point where you have to say "They were wrong to be out there."  I don't know the specific conditions on any of the recent incidents, I'm speaking from previous years.  If you know anybody who's planning some risky fishing here at the end of the season, try to talk some sense into them.  If nothing else, get them to carry some basic safety gear.  They should be doing that anyway.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2006, 02:01 PM »
Well, At least no one died.

Offline crappieman12887

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love them crappies!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2006, 02:16 PM »
The breed that fishes the harbor is low class and uninformed. Sorry for the generalization but when you see that much crap on the ice goes to show their ability to test the ice and be INFORED about conditions.

Wonder how they will look to see me getting on the ice with waders and a life vest???

who the the heck are you it doesnt matter if these poeple are low class or high class know one should have the right to judge another (let just say that they got out alright and maybe they just dont have the knowledge of good ice or bad )sorry if i come across harsh but it p me off whenone judges another ,bill

Offline Jack Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2006, 02:53 PM »
C'mon Buckski, I didn't mean to get that response out of this thread.  I've been to SBH on occassion when I want to just get out and I haven't done my homework on other water bodies.  I too have have noticed the trash (and posted my displeasure) on the ice.  Because of that I won't go back.  To a lesser extent I've seen blowing trash almost everywhere I've been.  Its very disappointing.  If we all did what we logically should do on the ice you would see half as many topics on this forum for one thing.

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2006, 03:19 PM »
"I agree with Buckski. Fished there about 5 years ago. Trash and lowlifes.
Never again."

your generalizations kill me!!!!!  the sbh is a great place to bring the kids when the ice is safe, funny how a couple of idiots who werent safe make you guys lump everyone in one lot....kind of like starting a sentence "i dont mean to offend anyone, but..." you did, and the harbor is better off without you....
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2006, 05:21 PM »

Just wanted to know how you classify and make the determination that someone is Low Class . What do you do rate by their annual earnings or what ?  The comment about uninformed would mean what ? Not having a computer or subscription to the Wall Street Journal !! I live on a lake and see and meet all types of people Rich and poor and let me tell you in MY experience the richer {meaning money only] seem to carry a HIGHER THAN THOU attitude and are some of the worst at leaving their litter on the ice. They come out there with expensive tag alongs and have parties leaving all sorts of debree in the holes. I know cause I pick up after them. Now, How would you rate those guys ? No matter where you fall in the economic bracket everyone should be picking up the mess they create because access priveledges are at risk. As far as safety is concerned, I think a spud is a necessity when ice is suspect. Speaking for myself only, I wear the inflatable suspenders, ice picks,ice cleats and carry a spud. What gets me is these High class guys[probably by your rating] with the expensive snow machines zipping up and down the lake on 2 1/2'' of ice.

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2006, 06:00 PM »
Eveybody makes mistakes, Just glad they are still around to learn from them.
                                                                                                 JK

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2006, 07:14 PM »
yeah, only some people make them with their mouths.....

Offline crappieman12887

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love them crappies!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:15 PM »
I agree with Buckski. Fished there about 5 years ago. Trash and lowlifes.
Never again.
well the next time you our on a place full of trash i hope you got a garbage bag with you and pick it up ,i know i have taken alot of other poeple trash off the ice with me,and if i see the litter buggs i try and bring it to there attation if they keep doing stuff like that they will ruin it for every one,so what if they get a little pi$$ of at ya for saying something to them,i dont think it right to judge everyone in a place becuase of a couple of bad eggs,bill

hali-man

« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2006, 03:30 AM »
well the next time you our on a place full of trash i hope you got a garbage bag with you and pick it up
I'm not going to question the moral fiber or intelligence of the people who fish there, but you would need a hell of a lot more than a garbage bag to clean up the SBH. It's a farking dump.

dwayne

« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2006, 11:24 AM »
WOW....with comradrie like I am seeing here from you WNY boys, I am glad I left cheektowaga when I was 18 and never looked back.  I faintly remember the SBH and yes it was dirty but I wouldn't say everyone who fishes there is scum or a low life.  That just isn't right.

hali-man

« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2006, 11:40 AM »
WOW....with comradrie like I am seeing here from you WNY boys, I am glad I left cheektowaga when I was 18 and never looked back.
Don't question the brotherhood, Dwayne. That will always be there.
A lot of us just have attitude problems and like to mess with each other.
The SBH has evolved into a monster since you left, I'm sure.
Mattresses, box springs, and all...
 8)

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2006, 08:51 AM »
yeah, and the girls in Erie,Pennsytuckey are such keepers.....

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2006, 11:12 AM »
Man bring back two bags of crap while someone is till throwinbg on the ice is a test of one mans will.
Would rather knock em out ot prove the point, by why when you have everthing to lose and they have nothing.
Hay crappie if cosuya had this proble I believe you may have a different attitude. And yes most shanty guys do not even fish the SBH they fish other locations near and police themselves, have also the back canal, freezer and big ship they do not seem to have that problem?
They have class!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.