Author Topic: Muck boot falling apart  (Read 5324 times)

Offline goutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
Muck boot falling apart
« on: Nov 30, 2018, 06:03 AM »
I have a pair of Muck Arctic Pro boots. They are coming apart. I’ve used them 2 ice seasons and worn them 10-15 times deer hunting. Not a lot of use. Anyone else having issues with these boots? Not what I expected from $180 boots
I have a warranty claim in but haven’t heard from Mick yet.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Muck boot falling apart
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2018, 06:39 AM »
I had a pair of woody max, pretty similarly built as the arctic pro; mine came apart after 6 years of heavy use at the junction of the boot to the sole.  The soles were wore flat, but otherwise I didnt have any cracking up in the boot itself.  I found that to be an acceptable lifetime.  Yours looks premature @ 2 years. 

Did you happen to strap something over them - stabilicers , gators or snowshoes?

Hopefully Mick ;) gets you a new pair of boots

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2018, 06:50 AM »
I have a pair of Muck Arctic Pro boots. They are coming apart. I’ve used them 2 ice seasons and worn them 10-15 times deer hunting. Not a lot of use. Anyone else having issues with these boots? Not what I expected from $180 boots

Try this...worked for me. Lot cheaper than a new pair of boots.

https://www.amazon.com/Gear-Aid-Aquaseal-Flexible-Accelerator/dp/B001BZMGUA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1543241227&sr=8-4&keywords=aqua+seal
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2018, 07:03 AM »
Got a cut in one of my Sorrels from my auger. Used shoe goo on it.

<===Lefty===

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2018, 07:28 AM »
I second the shoe goop, although i actually use some stuff called eb6000 or something like that. usually use it on my waders but have had a few cuts in my boots from time to time.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2018, 07:55 AM »
X2 on aquaseal.  But mine needed some help after years of abuse.  If its only 2 years I'd try to get a new pair.
westernmas on the finder

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2018, 08:28 AM »
After less than a year of use my Muck Wetland boots decided come apart.  The sole of the boot delaminated from the neoprene upper.  I have filled the gap with shoe goo and, while they look awful, they are still the warm and waterproof.  What is really discouraging though is that I contacted the company and never heard a word in reply....

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2018, 08:47 AM »
I have had several pair of Muck boots and they do fall apart for some reason. I usually wear the Muck Camp shoe and I'm on my forth pair. I too have had the cracking on the top and had to resort to Shoe Goo to fix them. All that being said I have started using 303 protectant on the TOP of the shoe and it seems to help keep the rubber softer. It was recommended for use on my gaskets on my dry suit cuffs and it works.
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2018, 09:02 AM »

i leave mine on a shut off boot dryer,ive found if they bend over they will crack,just like waders.shoe goop only temporary after i had it happen to me i took extreme care to keep boots upright at all times sorry
GOD BLESS YOU
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Jiggerdoodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Might want to try Kamik boot hunter model.  $60 bucks and are rugged as all get out.  I fish all winter long with just a pair of regular socks on and never have cold feet.  Mine are 5 years old and just like brand new.  Use them about 100+ days a year. 

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:49 AM »
Might want to try Kamik boot hunter model.  $60 bucks and are rugged as all get out.  I fish all winter long with just a pair of regular socks on and never have cold feet.  Mine are 5 years old and just like brand new.  Use them about 100+ days a year.
how does the kamik  run for sizing?

Offline goutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2018, 12:15 PM »
I’m still hoping to hear from Muck on my warranty claim 2 weeks ago before I do a repair. Aquaseal seems to be the best way to repair based on all I’ve read. Don’t think I’ll buy another pair. Here is a pic of the sole. Definitely not worn smooth.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2018, 12:30 PM »
That sucks. Usually a good boot. I have great luck with lacrosse boots. My grandkids love the muck boots but they usually cannot get 2 seasons out of them.
My lacrosse i can get 3-4 seasons.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline tautog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2018, 05:48 PM »
Years ago I had to get a cheap ($40?) pair of boots at wal mart bc I forgot mine they were made in Canada ozark trail branded but they are exactly like the kamik hunters and I can only think they were rebranded hunters, anyway to my surprise they have been great and are only now are starting to rubber check after many years, I plan on buying a new pair of hunters for this season, I have a pair of muck wetlands too and while I haven’t had them fall apart they have always felt a bit like Frankenstein boots while walking, very stiff and not as comfortable as those wal mart ones.

Offline mi500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2018, 06:13 PM »
I had the sole separate from a pair from one year of use.   My wife wrote them on Facebook and after some run around they did send me a pair after a couple months.   

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2018, 06:28 PM »
I saw enough of them that friends of mine had bought fall apart after less than two winters use that I never bought any myself.  One guy I fish with a lot had them cracking before the end of the first winter. 

Wonder if they had a bad production run?
Ted

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2018, 06:56 PM »
I saw enough of them that friends of mine had bought fall apart after less than two winters use that I never bought any myself.  One guy I fish with a lot had them cracking before the end of the first winter. 

Wonder if they had a bad production run?
Ted

That would be my first thought.   Especially considering my experience has been very positive.  I have a pair of regular Muck boots (not the Artic series) that I use the heck out of and they have been going strong for several years.  No complaints.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2018, 06:57 PM »
I believe the original muck boots were made much better than they are today.  I'm on my fourth pair, but it will be the last pair I buy from Muck.  Such a damn comfortable boot, but I've since switched to baffin boots.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2018, 07:09 PM »
The Muck meta tarsal boots are an option for wear at the mine. They do not hold up. Several different production runs with similiar performance. Couple of months at best before they split.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Exact same thing happened to me. 2yrs and pry 20 times of use. Sent a nice email to their customer service after no answer on phone. Never a reply. Be my last pair of mucks I buy. Baffin from here on out.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2018, 07:23 PM »
Got a cut in one of my Sorrels from my auger. Used shoe goo on it.

let me guess...drill auger right?
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2018, 05:43 AM »
This is the reason I switched to Lacrosse Aerohead 7mm boots for bowhunting/icefishing.  Guys at sporting goods store all switched from Mucks due to them not holding up. The Lacrosses  are the most comfortable rubber boots I've ever owned.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2018, 05:54 AM »
Bogs for fishing...Lacrosse in the woods
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2018, 06:38 AM »
let me guess...drill auger right?
Why yes it was my Drill auger. But I was just walking from one hole to another spot when it happened, I had my hands full with the fish finder,pole, rod holder and auger. I almost dropped my Fish finder and that is when I tried to stop it with the hand the auger was in. Put a small slice in the top of the boot. These boots are about 10 years old and are in really good shape. Not like the Mucks everyone is talking about.
<===Lefty===

Offline iceangler8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2018, 08:47 AM »
Good Luck with the warranty on the Muck boots, I had a similar incident about 2 years ago.
I just went to the waterproof Baffin rubber boots, they are much warmer with the heavy insulation on the inside.
But the draw back was the heavier in boot weight overall......  I guess life cant be perfect.....??
TIGHT LINE ALL!!!

Offline goutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2018, 06:07 AM »
Update on warranty claim for my muck boots. Just received an email saying they are sending me a new pair. Thumbs up for good customer service.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2018, 06:09 AM »
Update on warranty claim for my muck boots. Just received an email saying they are sending me a new pair. Thumbs up for good customer service.
. That is great to hear!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2018, 06:31 AM »

Very good to hear
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Dec 03, 2018, 06:38 AM »

Well that’s great 👍🏻

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 03, 2018, 06:40 AM »
I am waiting to see what happens with the second pair... ::)
Veritas Odium Parit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.