Author Topic: Thanksgiving! Learning from new ice videos???  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanksgiving! Learning from new ice videos???
« on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:51 AM »
 ::) ::)  Turkey is in oven so I have 3  hours before family arrives.  Watching ice fishing videos on youtube I have learned super techniques.
1.  RUN as fast as you can to  first flag.  Fall down and break you tail bone.
2.  Tear the tipup out of the hole and throw it to the side of the hole so that the
     reel spins really good for best backlash.
3.  Rip the  line as fast as you can and make sure it is in a big bunch on the  tipup.             
     The frozen mess will give you something to do in between flags??
4.  Check your tipups about once every two hours to make sure that the hole has
     frozen over by at least one inch and the shiner has been dead for an hour.
 5. Toss all the fish back down the so you won't have to clean and eat any!
 6.  Remember to charge the camera battery the next time??
 7. Go home and watch other ice fishing videos to learn more dumb things you
     can video on your next trip ???

OK!  None of us are perfect and I don't even know how to make a youtube video.
Dick

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
Re: Thanksgiving! Learning from new ice videos???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:00 AM »
I can’t say that I’ve learned anything from ice fishing videos other than what NOT to do, but I can say that I’ve learned from fishing with a few guys on this site and tweaked my gear and approach.
Happy Thanksgiving 🦃
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:13 AM »
Hahaha, great tips Dick!  I have to say that some of my best lessons in ice fishing have been what NOT to do.  One of my fondest memories was learning why there is a small rope tether on the end of an ice chisel.  When I was just a kid, my father took me out ice fishing and I was chipping with all I had.  The ice was very thick but I was determined to show my Dad that I could do it.  I launched the spud into the ice for it's last time, breaking through the ice and right out of my grip.  To the bottom of Lake Winnipesaukee the spud went.  I was convinced that my new nickname was going to be Jesus Christ.  Life lesson ...  Buy an auger!
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:35 AM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2018, 10:09 AM »
Lol :clap:

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2018, 04:44 PM »

Some of this guys videos are not informative at all, but most of them have some good info, and are entertaining at the least.

There is a lot of foolish stuff out there too...

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2018, 06:50 PM »
 ;D ;D. Fantastic video.  I wish we had whitewash fishing like that here. 
Dick

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2018, 06:56 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2018, 11:57 AM »
 ??? :P Anyone guess what kind of Garmin Aron was using to spot fish

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2018, 12:55 PM »
??? :P Anyone guess what kind of Garmin Aron was using to spot fish

Garmin panoptix ice bundle.

Not a guess either, it says it in the video description. He has some other videos that go in depth to explain the panoptix unit well.

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2018, 01:33 PM »
 ???  who will afford the synoptic in the future.  Might become necessary gear for professional guides?
Sure would be a dream gizmo to chase schools of crappie or white perch. 
Dick

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2018, 02:03 PM »
???  who will afford the synoptic in the future.  Might become necessary gear for professional guides?
Dick
If you haven’t been keeping up, panoptix and now the panoptix livescope are the newest and hottest technology to hit the ice. Panoptix was from last year, the new livescope is like having a HD ultrasound camera underwater. I ended up splurging and ordered last years ice package back in August, been using it as a portable unit between my friends boat and mine, absolutely love it!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2018, 03:32 PM »
Dick

Like everything else the price will come down eventually. Garmin is the only one with anything like this right now so they have the market cornered. Other companies will begin to compete or become like the dinosaur.

It is a lot of money, but the next time I buy a fish finder it will have this tech in it. I had saved money for an underwater camera, but that doesn’t seem nearly as cool as one of these.

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2018, 04:09 PM »
 :o)Wow!!  You two are making me feel like a poverty stricken
                 bobber and worm fisherman.   
Dick

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2018, 04:38 PM »
:o)Wow!!  You two are making me feel like a poverty stricken
                 bobber and worm fisherman.   
Dick
:roflmao:
For me it’s no self control and a credit card that had enough to charge it on, though I had told myself I’d stop using that card unless it’s an emergency  ::)

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2018, 05:52 PM »
Like everything else the price will come down eventually. Garmin is the only one with anything like this right now so they have the market cornered. Other companies will begin to compete or become like the dinosaur.

It is a lot of money, but the next time I buy a fish finder it will have this tech in it. I had saved money for an underwater camera, but that doesn’t seem nearly as cool as one of these.

Only Garmin and Lowrance will have it; Garmin holds the patents and they have a patent sharing agreement as a result of their lawsuit last year.  I don't see Garmin licensing it to Hummingbird, but I'm not all knowing. :)

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Only Garmin and Lowrance will have it; Garmin holds the patents and they have a patent sharing agreement as a result of their lawsuit last year.  I don't see Garmin licensing it to Hummingbird, but I'm not all knowing. :)

What I meant was that competitors would develop a similar tech to stay in the game. Humminbird, and others will have to come up with their own version to compete with what Garmin is offering, or they won’t be around too much longer. If they don’t, I cannot see how they would still exist in say fifteen years.

It’s a fun time for new fishing tech. The panoptix, and live scope are probably just the beginning.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2018, 10:00 PM »
What I meant was that competitors would develop a similar tech to stay in the game. Humminbird, and others will have to come up with their own version to compete with what Garmin is offering, or they won’t be around too much longer. If they don’t, I cannot see how they would still exist in say fifteen years.

How do you explain the popularity of mechanical flashers still? I don’t get it myself.  I see how there’s the slight edge in the nuances of that analog signal and display, and runs on a single battery charge for longer. but there’s so much more versatility and value ($$) with a modern sonar unit. I guess if the only time you need electronics is for ice fishing, then something that does nothing else makes sence. But why is that old technology of vexilar still in the same price range of all the newer units with a lot more bells and whistles that vex units consider a premium (or can’t offer), and make you have to get a different model for. Even a zoom feature for example!
 Wait, did I just also describe macs and apples persistence?!?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2018, 05:59 AM »

Dont fish over 100' or you will be disappointed.  My buddy has the panoptix and while it's good, there are limitations. 

Wiggles Garmin may have the panoptix but they get their lunch eaten by hummingbird daily.  They outsell Garmin no problem and I'd imagine it's because the market for a 1200-2000 unit is much smaller than the rest of the market.  Let's not forget other units are quite capable of helping people catch fish. 

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2018, 06:52 AM »
 :tipup: :tipup:  I don't go anywhere without my Vexilar FL20.
I seem to locate and catch all the fish I can eat.
Dick

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:38 AM »

It’s a fun time for new fishing tech. The panoptix, and live scope are probably just the beginning.

It will all depend on how well Garmin's patent lawyers wrote their patents...if they're worth their salt, similar tech would infringe. :)

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:47 AM »
oh I think there safe for a while yet till costs come down, people are only willing to pay so much, only a few diehards are willing to shell out that kinda of cash....  ::)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2018, 08:51 AM »
It will all depend on how well Garmin's patent lawyers wrote their patents...if they're worth their salt, similar tech would infringe. :)

I don’t totally disagree with you, but I am speaking much more in the long term I guess. Panaoptox has been out a few years, live scope a little bit less. It’s already moving forward at a pace we are not a custom to in ice fishing. I know the details on the panaoptix/live scope are slim, but it incorporates several different transducers to make the full display, and I’m sure a whole bunch of other fancy functions, but if Garmin developed it, someone else can surely do the same with their own R&D.

Right now other companies are still kicking Garmin in the pants as others have said. I just don’t think there will be a humminbird still around in 15 years if they don’t have something to compete with this new tech. If I had to buy a new FF unit this year I wouldn’t be able to afford the garmin types. But I already have a FF for open water and a flasher for ice fishing. My flasher is second hand and old, but it still works fine, and with Garmins new products it will be the last one of this style I own.

For me, before I saw panoptix I was considering a panning camera, and an upgraded flasher for ice fishing. Now those items would seem like a waste to me with what Garmin is offering.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:18 AM »
Dont fish over 100' or you will be disappointed.  My buddy has the panoptix and while it's good, there are limitations. 

Wiggles Garmin may have the panoptix but they get their lunch eaten by hummingbird daily.  They outsell Garmin no problem and I'd imagine it's because the market for a 1200-2000 unit is much smaller than the rest of the market.  Let's not forget other units are quite capable of helping people catch fish.

My intent was not to bad mouth the existing tech. It will certainly still catch fish, and is definitely more reasonable for catching fish now.

My point is more that in the future, when you all go to upgrade your equipment, will you be buying a $500 dollar flasher old school flasher with some new bells and whistles, or spending a grand for a Garmin set up?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:58 AM »
I'm buying another flx28 to back up my first.  I can afford and have used the panoptix but honestly the depth limitation is a dealbreaker and I have not found a situation where the panoptix tech outpaced a vexilar.  We ran them side by side on champlain this summer and I did just fine. (I landed a nice 14lb laker!)  If my buddy lance started to consistantly catch more because of that tech then I'd consider it.  However as long as there is a human on the receiving end the tech can only go as far as the user takes it.  Shame is some consider the tech to be a flashy graph or huge screen rather than paying attention to the ducer technology. All I need to know is when the laker is screaming towards my jig...the flx does a great job of that and until it doesnt I'm not changing.

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:07 AM »

Some of this guys videos are not informative at all, but most of them have some good info, and are entertaining at the least.

There is a lot of foolish stuff out there too...
I'm not sure in what way their not informative, the picture to the video alone already tells me it's informative. He explains well and not to mention he even uses electronics to explain to us the behavior.  Love his stuff!

I wish i was half as good as him in my videos. :\
Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:10 AM »
I'm not sure in what way their not informative, the picture to the video alone already tells me it's informative. He explains well and not to mention he even uses electronics to explain to us the behavior.  Love his stuff!

I wish i was half as good as him in my videos. :\

Totally agree, but some of his videos are pure nonsense. Some of his mock music videos are a bit silly, but I love his videos. My favorite fishing related videos period.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:29 AM »
I'm buying another flx28 to back up my first.  I can afford and have used the panoptix but honestly the depth limitation is a dealbreaker and I have not found a situation where the panoptix tech outpaced a vexilar.  We ran them side by side on champlain this summer and I did just fine. (I landed a nice 14lb laker!)  If my buddy lance started to consistantly catch more because of that tech then I'd consider it.  However as long as there is a human on the receiving end the tech can only go as far as the user takes it.  Shame is some consider the tech to be a flashy graph or huge screen.  All I need to know is when the laker is screaming towards my jig...the flx does a great job of that and until it doesnt I'm not changing.

Good to know. I personally don’t think I have ever ice fishies in depths over 50’, but that’s some good info for those that do. I can see a system like this really help with locating fish that are cruising under the ice surface in the upper water column. For instance when rainbows start moving to deep water when the oxygen levels get depleted, or trying to stay on top of a school of perch. You should literally be able to tell your buddy with the auger when he punches through on top of the fish.

Again the price on these is insane, but that will change eventually. I’m more so just excited for how this type of tech will change the way we fish in the future. Being able to locate fish (even in shallow water) with that type of range and accuracy is awesome.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:32 AM »
Also I’m not trying to dump on the old tech at all, or anyone’s preferred style of fishing. I know a few fishermen who are total luddites, and wouldn’t even know how to turn on a flasher let alone read it, and they outfish me all day. It’s all about having a good time and enjoying some recreation on the ice.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:35 AM »
Good to know. I personally don’t think I have ever ice fishies in depths over 50’, but that’s some good info for those that do. I can see a system like this really help with locating fish that are cruising under the ice surface in the upper water column. For instance when rainbows start moving to deep water when the oxygen levels get depleted, or trying to stay on top of a school of perch. You should literally be able to tell your buddy with the auger when he punches through on top of the fish.

Again the price on these is insane, but that will change eventually. I’m more so just excited for how this type of tech will change the way we fish in the future. Being able to locate fish (even in shallow water) with that type of range and accuracy is awesome.

I'd adopt one for open water use before ice thats for sure we used it bass fishing and knowing which direction to cast is priceless.  But, again if it isnt broken dont fix it.  The reason vexilar sells a ton is the units are extremely reliable and get the job done very well. 

Plus define old tech...everyone is hung up on the UI, I pay more attention to the sonar tech. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.