New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Vexilar fl-18 vs. Marcum M-3  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Ziehnertfish007

• IceShanty Rookie
Vexilar fl-18 vs. Marcum M-3
« on: Nov 11, 2018, 07:44 PM »
I want to hear the opinions on both devices and if anyone has any other suggestions. Have heard vexilar does better marking jigs in deeper water. Any help and opinions would be awesome. Thanks guys

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Vexilar fl-18 vs. Marcum M-3
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2018, 07:36 PM »
I'm absolutely in love with my FL 18, it has made me a much better fisherman. It took me a few days on the ice to get comfortable with all the options & adjustments available but now I can watch an ultra light jig at 60' when targeting smelt. I can also separate my jig from all the dust and weeds in 6' when after gills. I know exactly when a strike is coming. I don't want to stir up the Marcum guys because I really have never used one so I can't give you a comparison. I fish alongside a friend with a high end Hummingbird and I have to say it confuses me. It appears very busy with too many marks and different colors. He likes it. I guess that's all that matters. if I were to need another it would be a Vex for sure.   good luck   be safe

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2018, 08:11 PM »
I want to hear the opinions on both devices and if anyone has any other suggestions. Have heard vexilar does better marking jigs in deeper water. Any help and opinions would be awesome. Thanks guys

Both should be fine units. I would personally put a tri beam on the FL18 so you can change cone angles to match the depth you fish.

I think both units will do well, with both having benefits and draw backs that you would be able to debate back and forth between the two units. Vexilar does have more add on options that you can add on later which is nice.

What it comes down to really is what side you want to be on when it comes to the flasher war debates.

With that said, I own 4 vexilar units. FL20, FLX28, FL22HD, and an FL18. All of which I bought in that order. Been happy with all of them, and have vexilar tri beams on all of them except the FL20. I bought the FL20 has a 50th anniversary unit and it came with the dual beam (didn't have a tribeam back then). 

If your looking for a good buy, call vexilar and ask for a referbished FL18 unit & ask if they can put a tribeam on it. You'll be happy.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2018, 09:24 PM »
Was in the same boat a few years ago. Went in to buy the marcum but the store was out. Wound up with the fl-18. Easy enough to use and does what I need it to. Mainly fish walleye at 18-30 feet.

Bought the proview transducer, not a big fan of it for what I use it for. Tri beam intrigues me. May have to try it.

In a shack of mixed flashers, the ‘bird 45 has the fewest issues with interference among us.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2018, 09:29 PM »
Was in the same boat a few years ago. Went in to buy the marcum but the store was out. Wound up with the fl-18. Easy enough to use and does what I need it to. Mainly fish walleye at 18-30 feet.

Bought the proview transducer, not a big fan of it for what I use it for. Tri beam intrigues me. May have to try it.

In a shack of mixed flashers, the ‘bird 45 has the fewest issues with interference among us.

If interference is a concern, the FLX 28 has the most interference rejection settings.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.