Author Topic: Name the best propane auger  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Name the best propane auger
« on: Nov 07, 2018, 09:51 AM »
Alright, so I have a Strike Master mag 200 0 that I'm selling to someone after seeing my buddies Eskimo propane auger last year. His propane auger worked awesome and we didn't have to worry about gas and oil leaking which was nice. Not that we had that problem but it nice to not have to worry about it. We used it most of the year on one tank and we drilled a lot of holes.

So what's everyone think and their opinion on which propane auger is the best. His was a Eskimo HC40 but I'm curious if anyone else has any experience with them..

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Name the best propane auger
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2018, 10:11 AM »
I have a Jiffy Pro 4 propane and an Eskimo P1 Rocket that I bought last year. I like the Eskimo a little better. It cuts faster. There's nothing wrong with the Jiffy, I have cut a lot of holes with it, but the Eskimo is what I'm going to use until I get my hew Jiffy E6 Lightning electric!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2018, 10:16 AM »
I have a Jiffy Pro4 and haven't experienced any other propane augers, so I can't make any comparisons.

I really like my Jiffy, never have had starting issues like people sometimes mention.  I wish it were about 10 pounds lighter, though.

I'm sure pretty soon someone will blow up the post saying "get a Milwaukee drill, blah, blah, blah".

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2018, 10:23 AM »
ive ran my jiffy pro 4 lite for 2 years  now,but do to thin ice  and short ice seasons ive only drilled 10 holes with it maybe.its  light and I have a 5" bit on it now.also have a 8".blows thru ice and starts in 1 or 2 pulls.i bought a demo version right from jiffy.first demo was junk and had a broken valve and no compression and was a hassle to return until I finally talked to the right person.first jiffy rep wanted me to take it to a service center instead of sending me a head unit that ran.

Offline RedFins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2018, 10:25 AM »
I have had an HC40 for 2 seasons now with no issues.  always starts no matter the temp.

Offline Bubba340

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2018, 11:10 AM »
I have used a Jiffy Pro 4 for the past 5 seasons and during that time I have had to lubricate the throttle cable d/t sticking and adjust the mixture screw on carb as it was losing power for a bit.  It weighs a ton but has lots of torque.  I have largely replaced it with a drill K/drill setup but when the ice gets 30"or more I will use the Jiffy d/t its increased torque/power.  I have not experienced any hose/regulator problems that some of the early Jiffy propane models seemed to have.  An important detail: always lay it down propane tank side up, if you lay it on it side (carb side) all the crankcase oil will run out of the breather into your truck, shanty or onto the ice.  that is an issue they do not warn you enough about,  I painted a large "UP"  on the front of my auger so I don't forget.   

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Pro 4 butI am going electric cause of the weight factor. Been using the Jiffy for three going on fou seasons No issues
Keep it safe! JD

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2018, 11:32 AM »
There's only really two out there: Jiffy and Eskimo.  Both brands generally get pretty good reviews.  Can't go wrong with either. 

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2018, 11:20 AM »
i too have the p-1 rocket i bought new last year. i got it very late in the season and only drilled about 10-12 holes with it,having said that i loved how it worked....no muss no fuss with oil and gas mixing just screw on the one pound tank and starts on 1-2 pulls and it ate 15-17 inches of hard ice very quickly. lighter, faster than the strike master 2000 i fought for several years, i WILL NOT go back to gas ever again. eskimo has a real winner there !
I am haunted by waters...

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2018, 08:41 PM »
I have an older jiffy,hate the bottle holder  >:(.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.