Author Topic: Shappell Bay Runner  (Read 4419 times)

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shappell Bay Runner
« on: Jul 24, 2018, 09:58 AM »
I am thinking about buying one of these as I usually fish by myself and would be nice for the quickness of moving around (hate sitting in one spot too long unless I am hammering the fish).  Who out there has one?  They seem to be very tight, especially since I am 6 2.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Shappell Bay Runner
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2018, 11:43 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2018, 01:56 PM »
Have you looked at the Clam Runner?  This was made for guys who fished for Lake Trout and seems that it will work for taller guys. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2018, 03:23 PM »
I glad your looking at a bay runner cause they have more elbow room then standard flip over shacks.. like my frabil recon.. the other shack that has elbow room is the eskimo 1it I like better.. it is portable unlike a hub just flip the skirt up and drag it on the sled base...  as long as you don't stake it down you can move around very quickly.. same thing with the bay runner .. the other things I like about the eskimo is its windows there very large . And has a side entry door Like the shappell.. any how there are a lot of plusses to these to shanties and why  I am looking at them bolth my self..  I don't like the bench seat in the bay runner.. but it can be padded better or even a added a quickly disconneted boat seat added.. the other plus to the eskimo is its thermal..  ware I don't think the bay runner is at least the br1 or the br2 yet?? Any how look at it carefully see what you like about it I am sure the eskimo is just as good as the bay runner? I use to have the dx3000..  it's a nice 2 man but very tight and weighted a ton and pulled like a lead brick.. heated with just a lantren..  but every ones different as you can see why iam looking at these shacks .. I am sure I will decide sooner or later just trying to think before I just jump on it..

https://www.geteskimo.com/Product/7548/evo-1it-crossover-shelter

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2018, 03:50 PM »
Im always wearing my Ice Armor stuff so thermal is not a huge issue.  The issue I see with the Bay Runners has to do with the holes.  I like the added size of the 2, but worry a bit with a massive hole in the bottom.  I have a 2 year old now so would be nice to have something like this when he gets old enough, we can just use that.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2018, 04:08 PM »

That's why people complained about getting snow mixed in their gear in the shanty from the door popping open while trans porting... the latch is kinda cheap that holds door the closed   and ya the two man is pretty darn heavy to be pulled by self.. what about a hub??  It's all I really use any more...  a light sled and a  light hub like a 3 man.. you can hole hop in your ice armore gear then use the hub as a base of operations to warm up at .. for one there way lighter then a bay runner 2 just a heads up.. if you have a problem putting ice anchors in use a cordless drill and a eskimo ice anchor tool  in the drill and power screw it up and down I even quit useing the Trans port bag to much of a effort I just use bungee cords and throw it in sled.. and head home .. most guys that hole hop won't even look at a shanty it's unethical to them but having a young boy that's ware you need the room and weight reduction.. cause you will be carrying a lot of gear.. then 15 pound propane bottle don't help either that's why a lot of guys are buying smaller 5 pound tanks and having them filled bought for $30 to $40 filed for around 5-10 bucks.. I think it's was around $13 to fill a 15 lb tank last I looked  and 18 to trade it in.. unless spending night on ice then a 15 pounder there's no need for it.. and a big buddy heater..

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2018, 09:10 AM »
I love mine...I am 6 ft and it is perfect for one person all day and night and good for 2 for a reasonable time... get the runners, well worth it...I built a custom shelf, put a back on the bench....you can go a search on my name and see the pictures...I would get another...great product, well built... mine is 3+ years old and gets lots of use...held up great

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2018, 10:19 AM »
I love mine...I am 6 ft and it is perfect for one person all day and night and good for 2 for a reasonable time... get the runners, well worth it...I built a custom shelf, put a back on the bench....you can go a search on my name and see the pictures...I would get another...great product, well built... mine is 3+ years old and gets lots of use...held up great

My guess is you have the first model?  Wondering if the second model is worth the extra coin?  I am in a spot where I am trying to decide if I go with one or if I should just go with an Eskimo Inferno.....

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2018, 10:37 AM »
version one has two floor hatches where as version two has one long one. your concern with a two year old would be better served with version one. auger size will matter no matter which shelter you get.

my worry is no carpeted floor. their other cabin type shelters all have carpet to help with wet and snow covered boots from slipping and falling.

the good part of having a floor is your feet stay warmer and drier.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2018, 11:56 AM »
version one has two floor hatches where as version two has one long one. your concern with a two year old would be better served with version one. auger size will matter no matter which shelter you get.

my worry is no carpeted floor. their other cabin type shelters all have carpet to help with wet and snow covered boots from slipping and falling.

the good part of having a floor is your feet stay warmer and drier.

So you would rather fish out of a Bay Runner than a one man flip over?

sunniewally

« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2018, 01:30 PM »
I have the old style bay runner and I love it, simply for being able to move easly, and more air tight in the wind then a flip over. Can throw all your stuff inside and haul it out on the lake, easy to set up, buddy heater  and sonar fits nice on the shelf. pop ups are okay but more hassel imo. flip over have their place  but I like by br. sold the rest. use seat at  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DF0467O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which works great. nice back rest,light. Best I have found. I am big but short, so at your height don't know if that wouold be a problem.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2018, 11:55 AM »
So you would rather fish out of a Bay Runner than a one man flip over?

never fished out of a bay runner. makes me skittish on super windy days that i might be inside a kite i can't get out of.
i do have shappells dx3000 and don't like how the walls blow in so i made wind bars to help stop it. i do like being on a carpeted floor and having my things on the same floor. the problem for me it when there is a floor it limits how i have to use the preset floor plan and i don't like the time it takes to set up compared to a flip over. flips are much more versatile and fast to deploy.

the bay runner seems like a problem to free style fish where it becomes just a sled to bring your things and use them on the fly like you do with sleds. my flip over is hardly ever used as a shelter and needing deployed to get to my things seems like a hassle and stepping in and out of the tub onto a slippery plastic floor seems like injury waiting to happen. then amplify the situation with winds.
a flip over is way more low profile and designed to be in wind with a sloped back that faces into the winds and short so it has less wind loads. think about the design differences and you'll understand it better. if it's your first, then maybe you don't get it, but wind it a key factor with no leaves on trees to help reduce wind speeds in winter.

being basically a box your in using the bay runner, think of of how to anchor it to ice and if you move how much effort do you want to put into re-anchoring it. will it dampen willingness to move more or scout for fish. compare that now to a flip over design.
for what its worth i quit using my dx3000 cabin shelters for these reasons, but at least it has a carpeted floor.
much of this will matter more based off of your style of fishing ice. if you like to sit a lot, then maybe the bay runner is good. it may be better than loading a sled with a hub and things and then go set up with your things in the sled that you don't bring inside the shelter. i have two hub shelters and don't like using them either. only when i want to bring some one or provide shelter for others do i bother with any thing other than my flip. i am on my forth generation fx100. they keep making it better, so i keep buying new ones and selling older ones as they come out. currently running with shappell fx100 insulted. for you if i had to recommend a shelter with a growing family, i would say the shappell fx200 insulated. the shappell fx150 is the same weight and tub size (they just install the bars on the long sides of the tub so they don't have to be extended) so may as well go to the fx200 for fishable area and because they offer it in the insulated version and it only weighs 4 pounds more than the non-insulated version. if having to extend bars sounds like some thing you don't prefer to do then the fx150 will get you buy until you need more room for the youngster. bring foam anti fatigue squares to help with his feet from getting cool fast. kids boots are junk.

a few tips for no matter what you buy, use the augers ice shavings to make a "bed" where your tub/sled will be parked on. this is crucial on bare ice or ice with little snow cover. this also helps with wind getting in from under the tub.
use your auger to throw the rope over for an emergency ice anchor or drag if it gets loose. drill a partial hole and lean it into the wind at an angle to make the contact at ice stronger than drilling straight down.
use eskimo ice anchors, if you need ice anchors. i like using thier anchor driver on my auger drill. so i don't want to use a plate of any kind on my drill.

i feel we need to call and request they add the carpet to make it safer and i will probably do just that for those who want to get into one.
got to thinking about using ice cleats in thing. not good.
shappell/eagle claw
720-941-8723
http://shappell.com/

you mention a 2 year old tho, that changes things up a lot. he won't stay 2 for long and then there's his safety around open holes and his little feet and your ability to keep him from harms way 100% of the time. i know i wouldn't want him on a slippery plastic floor with open flame and gas with wet snow covered boots.
being you wanted a cabin type of shelter it sounds like you jig fish and not sit waiting on flags which means the 2 year old will be near the holes your jigging from. as i mentioned the bay runner version 1 has two hatches, so if your still leaning that way, i'd suggest the bay runner 1 for your sons safety as far as limiting where he can place his feet, but only for that reason.

update: i called and they have no plans in the near future to add carpet to the bay runner floor, altho he said they have talked about it. he said maybe in a few years it will be included.
he did say they are making the frames sturdier, so you may want to hold out until they do that if your set on getting one.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2018, 01:20 PM »
That is great advise!  I think I am going to get an Eskimo Inferno, then get something different down the road that we can both fish out of comfortably and safely.  I fish outside a lot, so would be nice to have a flip over and just use the seat.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2018, 02:33 PM »

Don't get me wrong the inferno is a awesome shack but  also take a good  look at the eskimo evo1it or 2it  depending on your needs .. I think there's more room in the evo1it for elbow room and jigging the inferno is a tad tight I am 6 foot 4 inch and as round as tall if it's similar to my frabill recon there's no room to jig .. plus the windows in my recon suck cause so small and low on it that probably the reason iam looking hard at the evo 1it and the inferno  I am digging the evo 1it better.. cause of more room for jigging and good windows to see tip ups plus it's thermal and I do like the sloped back that 3300 brought up..

Also 3300 you can anchor those bar runners with eskimo ice anchors! So they don't become a kite.. if you step out.. just a point all you need is to put a longer rope on the drag rope and put a secondary knot in it for a ice anchor this beats putting two holes in your tub floor..

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Aug 01, 2018, 09:02 AM »
I was just informed that there will be an insulated model coming next September (2019).

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Aug 01, 2018, 01:13 PM »
I was just informed that there will be an insulated model coming next September (2019).

You kidding ?? Br1 or br2??

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Aug 01, 2018, 01:23 PM »
This is all that was told to me:

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Aug 01, 2018, 01:44 PM »
sounds like two good reasons to wait on one (stronger frame planned and insulated), plus no carpet plans for a few years out. they did mention they lost their manufacturing contract and are looking to get another one and they are playing catch up right now.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Aug 01, 2018, 03:16 PM »
Now that's nice!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2018, 07:09 AM »
never fished out of a bay runner. makes me skittish on super windy days that i might be inside a kite i can't get out of.

That is a huge concern  :o  ....  especially if you fish big lakes where some of the lake stays open some years!

I was almost blown away in my one man flipover last season .....  only thing that saved me was my hiking crampons i wear.

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Aug 02, 2018, 07:59 AM »
or thawed out and refroze partially like they tend to do here at times on some lakes.

must have been a spooky ride!?

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Aug 02, 2018, 09:38 AM »
or thawed out and refroze partially like they tend to do here at times on some lakes.

must have been a spooky ride!?

it was a PIA to say the least and it happened several times that day with 50 mph gusts!

fortunately I had my 10 point hiking crampons on which dig in well  @) so I didn't go too far but it was still a cluster....

if I was in a bayrunner I would have been on shore a mile away I think

I suppose it would be easy enough to screw in an anchor
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Aug 02, 2018, 05:33 PM »
That is a huge concern  :o  ....  especially if you fish big lakes where some of the lake stays open some years!

I was almost blown away in my one man flipover last season .....  only thing that saved me was my hiking crampons i wear.

Hay it happens when I was 14yr old l..  I chase a shanty across lake erie on glare ice in front of erie metro park at night.. was not fun any how they started making a 10 inch long piece of metAL shortly after that ..  with a 1/2 hole in center of a 1.5 inch wide piece of steel .. you would take a rope or chain attach it to it and drop down hole..  I like the rope cause if the hole froze over you could cut it in a emergency..  any how you drop the metal strip down hole and lock it on the bottom edge..  I used to have a 5 foot rope we would do this with..  shappell stopped selling them cause every one made there own..  it's a primitive ice anchor before ice anchor stake or digger angels were around.. save are butts a few times might want to thow on on your shanty might save you from troting on glare ice..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.