New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sandy Pond ice fishing?  (Read 3955 times)

Offline IceRacer_63

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If the pike are not hitting..break out the bikes!
Sandy Pond ice fishing?
« on: Mar 04, 2006, 04:03 PM »
Anyone been fishing the pond for pike?

Offline IceRacer_63

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Sandy Pond ice fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:53 AM »
Went to sandy pond sunday..Not telling how I did,or where I went, just like the rest of you >:( THANKS FOR THE REPLY THE 90 OF YOU THAT LOOKED AT THIS POST!!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:29 AM »
Hey Iceracer...not meaning to rain down on your little "rant" but if YOU would have looked around before starting a new post here you would have seen a couple different threads about Sandy Pond/Renshaw bay, etc and you could have gotten all the info you needed about fishing, conditions, etc.

Perhaps before you start shouting on here YOU take a few minutes, scroll down through some of the already established posts and see where the others on here are posting...and you might get the info you're looking for....

Quite honestly...those "90" or so that looked at this and making myself "91" might have mistaken it for an ongoing Sandy Pond thread...so before you go spouting off...should we "yell" at you cause you didn't post in the SP thread that was already current????  Back off the coffee or switch to decaf.....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

billybono

« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2006, 06:09 AM »

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2006, 06:37 AM »
OK, here's the big secret info I've been keeping to myself.  fished the pond on saturday morning, left after 2 hours.  NO flags, some perch the size of my finger. 
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline martinez1321

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mario
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:28 AM »
OK, here's the big secret info I've been keeping to myself.  fished the pond on saturday morning, left after 2 hours.  NO flags, some perch the size of my finger. 

You obviously arent fishing the right spots, try going to greene point and walk out 2 or 3 hundred yards, set up there and be PATIENT!!!!!!

Offline beaglehunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:43 AM »
In defense of IceRacer I just recently found out that Renshaw is a part of North Sandy Pond and I've fished the "Pond" for many years!!  I really wish I could see Sandy Pond listed as a separate spool under NY Fishing Conditions instead of being lumped under Small Waters/Jefferson County.  Hey IceRacer, if you have any questions about Sandy Pond, pm Jigger...he's the man!! ;D ;D

billybono

« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:47 AM »
not to mention sandy pond isnt in jefferson, but oswego county. only the a small northern tip of renshaw is in jefferson. i pmed a mod to add a small waters oswego county thread added, but it hasent happened yet

billybono

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:52 AM »
I hear ya!  I had a bad cold, and should've been at home anyway, but I've been really eager to get out there.  I tried a spot where its all or nothing.  I got into a bunch of big pike in the exact same spot last year at this time, but I've been skunked there too.  I would've moved, but realized I was in no shape to be braving the winds.  Don't these things have the worst timing?  I've got the last few days of the season off, so I'll make up for it.
I did well at Greene Point earlier this year, I think I'll go back!

billybono

« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:53 AM »
yeah but what do you consider big pike 32 + i hope

billybono

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:56 AM »
That day - not quite.  I had my limit by 2 or 3:00, and they were 29-32".   

billybono

« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:01 PM »
i wasent trying to be a smart ass, its just yesterday i was fishing a spot a little further north than that, slow day there also, and a local who fishes it all the time tells me he has caught "monster" pike out of it. so i asked him how big and he said his biggest was 28 inches  ??? ??? ??? ???   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

billybono

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:06 PM »
No offense taken.  I honestly feel like a putz having the name pikekiller, because I can't seem to get a trophy pike.  I've only caught a few over 32 (just over), and I've caught a lot of pike.  I've only been ice fishing for 4 or 5 years, but I think I should have some more impressive fish to show for it.  I'm trying to fine-tune my skills with all of the info here on IS, and you guys are really helpful.  I hope I'll be able to post some good pics by season's end.

billybono

« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:11 PM »
i havent been able to ice a nice one this year yet. mainly because my pike spot hasent had much safe ice...im too sick myself to try today, i also should have stayed home yesterday...last few days of the week i hope. if you have a cam, i would try to find good green weeds. the weed growth is odd this year due to the way the ice has been on/off. but if you can get into good numbers of the pike your talking, i woud sacrifise flags for big fish by using 8 inch plus baits.

good luck

billybono

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:13 PM »
Do you know who's got 8" live bait around Sandy Pond?

billybono

« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:19 PM »
around that area i only get bait at woodys, and he never has em that big. i usually have to get suckers in that range at mcntyre bait farm in red creek. dont be afraid to jig up some bigger perch( 8 is probably too big with a perch...much taller and fatter than a sucker) and throw them on a tip-up. when i fish bigger baits, i clip off some fins/pieces of fins, so the dont trip the trap, and so they swim erratically. but if you have 5 perch on tip-ups, and start jigging em up, your limit of perch is now 45  ;)

billybono

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2006, 12:23 PM »
Do you find that perch have a super-short lifespan in the bait bucket or on the hook?  I used to jig little ones when I ran out of shiners, and even with the aerator going, they would die quickly.
By the way, what does the bait farm charge for the suckers?

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2006, 03:53 PM »
around that area i only get bait at woodys, and he never has em that big. i usually have to get suckers in that range at mcntyre bait farm in red creek. dont be afraid to jig up some bigger perch( 8 is probably too big with a perch...much taller and fatter than a sucker) and throw them on a tip-up. when i fish bigger baits, i clip off some fins/pieces of fins, so the dont trip the trap, and so they swim erratically. but if you have 5 perch on tip-ups, and start jigging em up, your limit of perch is now 45  ;)

billybono
hey billy, is that legel? I was wondering about useing perch for bait? ???
JACK OF ALL SPECIES, MASTER OF NONE!

billybono

« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:21 PM »
hey billy, is that legel? I was wondering about useing perch for bait? ???

yep

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=29449.30

Do you find that perch have a super-short lifespan in the bait bucket or on the hook?  I used to jig little ones when I ran out of shiners, and even with the aerator going, they would die quickly.
By the way, what does the bait farm charge for the suckers?

i find they last longer than shiners do, but probably not suckers, but im talking on a line, not in a bait bucket. was probably way too much difference in the water (ie ph, temp) thad made them die quickly

mcnytres gets 8-9 bucks a pound for suckers, been a few weeks and i cant remember exactly. call em, there number is on the bait shop list. as soon as ice is out, im going to start trapping em myself ;)

billybono

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is not only a sport, but a Dedication
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:24 PM »
I was wondering about perch for bait myself so i asked the baitshop owner in my hometown and he claims they are legal to use but he cant sell them, and as for "monster" pike anything under 40" goes back down the hole.

billybono

« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:29 PM »
yep there not saleable as bait, you can only hook and line catch em, and including any perch on tip-ups, live in a bait bucket, or on the ice, they all get included in your daily limit. heck you could pretty much use any fish you catch as bait, trout, bass, as long as its legal too keep them for the freezer(not that i would though)

billybono

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:30 PM »
In defense of IceRacer I just recently found out that Renshaw is a part of North Sandy Pond and I've fished the "Pond" for many years!!  I really wish I could see Sandy Pond listed as a separate spool under NY Fishing Conditions instead of being lumped under Small Waters/Jefferson County.  Hey IceRacer, if you have any questions about Sandy Pond, pm Jigger...he's the man!! ;D ;D

I thought of that as well...but then did some research and found out Iceracer started a thread with the exact same name as this one back on Feb 10th and never went back to it after posting it initially.....

Hope he learns to relax some......Esox

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:35 PM »
yep there not saleable as bait, you can only hook and line catch em, and including any perch on tip-ups, live in a bait bucket, or on the ice, they all get included in your daily limit. heck you could pretty much use any fish you catch as bait, trout, bass, as long as its legal too keep them for the freezer(not that i would though)

billybono

Hey BB...the explanation I got on using fish caught as bait is as follows:  The new Warden up in this area says that as long as there is no limit (ie.25 or 50) on the fish you want to use as bait then it's ok...if there is a limit on the fish then he'd have a problem with using them as bait..it's complicated to try and explain on here, but I understood what he was talking about....

The fish in question I asked specifically about were perch and sunfish/bluegills....we've got a new game warden up this way, guess he'll be in charge of half of Jefferson County..seems like a real nice guy...talked with us for 15-20 minutes the other day on the ice...new to the area.....Esox

billybono

« Reply #23 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:54 PM »
well pretty much i guess it isnt a black or white answer i guess. but from the link i posted, and the discussion on that thread, i consiter it to be legal. but its one of those things that isnt specifically in the book as a yes or no also. if i was that concerned about getting a fine, i would email the dec, and get a response. and if its the same answer as the other letters, print it out, with the name and email of the person who sent it to you and keep it on ya. but ill continue to use them, and if on the ODD chance a econ asks to see whats on my tip-ups, i have no doubt the fine wont hold up in court

billybono

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:58 PM »
well pretty much i guess it isnt a black or white answer i guess. but from the link i posted, and the discussion on that thread, i consiter it to be legal. but its one of those things that isnt specifically in the book as a yes or no also. if i was that concerned about getting a fine, i would email the dec, and get a response. and if its the same answer as the other letters, print it out, with the name and email of the person who sent it to you and keep it on ya. but ill continue to use them, and if on the ODD chance a econ asks to see whats on my tip-ups, i have no doubt the fine wont hold up in court

Agreed,...I wasn't trying to argue....forgot to mention that he said that when there is NO limit on a fish, then it isn't considered a gamefish any longer, at least in that body of water........how true though....it'll probably never be black and white.....

billybono

billybono

« Reply #25 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:02 PM »
oh i know bud   ;)  ever use em up there? i have had some sucsess here. but i only use em when its a bait emergency so to speak

billybono

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:07 PM »
oh i know bud   ;)  ever use em up there? i have had some sucsess here. but i only use em when its a bait emergency so to speak

billybono

Tried perch a few times..no luck with them yet though....haven't gotten into the sunnies to hook one on.....I jig merely to fill time between flags....

This part of Chaumont Bay I've been fishing this year is known for bigger pike and fewer flags....we haven't taken many racers this year..no real big fish either....but a fair amount under 12 pounds......most though in the 5-7 pound range....

Awful lot of baitfish for the pike to feed on here,,,so the chances of them hitting the bait we've got on the hooks is not real great.....and with the lake opening and closing 3 times this winter...the fish are , shall we say, disoriented????

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2006, 06:23 PM »
I went out Sunday at Seber Shores and caught some nice jumbo perch,between my daughter and I we caught about 50 of them.She called me over 1 time and asked me what kind of fish it was and she had a 10 inch walleye.Ice was about 10-12 inches. :tipup:

Offline IceRacer_63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 07, 2006, 04:56 AM »
Hey esox slayer, sorry to pull you off your couch, but I wanted some up dated information not information that happened a month ago. Next time I'll Let you know before I start a new thread.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 07, 2006, 05:36 AM »
Hey esox slayer, sorry to pull you off your couch, but I wanted some up dated information not information that happened a month ago. Next time I'll Let you know before I start a new thread.

Not the point I was trying to make...the point I was trying to make was all you had to do was bump the old thread you started or do some research on some threads that were going on (currently) and you would have had some updated reports.  Ane then to rant when nobody answered??  See the next paragraph>>>>

Starting a new thread isn't the answer, utilizing the threads that are on here will keep from clogging the boards, make it easier for everyone to find information....for example..NOT having to sift through 2 or 3 or more "Sandy Pond Ice Fishing" threads.....

I make a report almost nightly on the big water /Jefferson thread...been doing it for a couple months now....haven't had to start a new thread on those waters yet.....

Not trying to dog on you..but think about the "yelling" on here and slamming the "90 or so" people who read your "duplicated" thread and didn't respond....especially due to the fact you didn't browse through all the current postings yourself.....comprende???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.