Author Topic: Is this legal Bait?  (Read 2069 times)

Offline JDSLEDDER

• IceShanty Rookie
Is this legal Bait?
« on: Jan 28, 2018, 06:44 PM »
Just curious about what is legal for chumming for Lakers and cusk. I know the rule about using yellow perch is they can't be used as live bait but is it legal to cut up a dink perch and use it for chum?

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Is this legal Bait?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:06 PM »
As far as I know you can't use live perch....isn't alive if it's chum or cut bait.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:45 PM »
If you chum they will come..

No law against throwing dead fish down the hole. Most people seem to leave them on the ice anyway. Feed the fish not the birds.
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:46 PM »
This was an old post awhile ago. Might help you out. https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=302264.0
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Teamrustyhook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2018, 09:33 PM »
Don't know the legality of it but I fished nutts pond behind home Depot in Manchester one day and I saw this old timer pulling up perch and to my shock he was keeping them! I walked over and asked him if he trusted eating the fish out of this pond consisting of mostly run off from South Willow, He said God no!  He catches a bunch of perch during the week then goes up to the big lake and uses just the perch eggs as chum for Lakers and cusk. Don't know what he does with the rest of the fish but he says the row makes the Lakers hungry and go into a feeding frenzy.

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2018, 10:17 PM »
As stated above the answer in general is yes. Some lakes however prohibit the use of yellow perch as dead bait. The Connecticut lakes for example are like that.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:31 AM »
I believe if you cut them you can use them as bait.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2018, 04:10 PM »
If the rule states that a fish cannot be used as bait, and it doesn't specify dead or alive, you would best to presume that it means BOTH WAYS.

Figure that they don't want you to kill small perch (as you would a shiner) so using it as chunk bait means that you caught it for bait.
Doesn't matter if it was gut hooked and died after being caught. How do you prove that, and if it is hooked as bait it shows your intent, so that would be wrong again.

Better safe than sorry.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:47 PM »
I'll plead the 5th on this one......  I will say big baits equal big fish.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:58 PM »
In Wisc. we can gills or perch as bait as long as they are counted as part of your daily limit.

Offline JimmyColdBrew

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:28 PM »
From my understanding of use of bait while fishing in lakes in rivers of NH. All types of fish that would or have spines are not allowed for use. http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/baitfish.html this might help.

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2018, 05:30 AM »
[quote author=JimmyColdBrew If you read the law it states only species that can be possessed alive for baitfish. It removes any personal interpretation of how laws are written. You can use perch as bait just not alive.link=topic=356162.msg3812817#msg3812817 date=1517462880]
From my understanding of use of bait while fishing in lakes in rivers of NH. All types of fish that would or have spines are not allowed for use. http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/baitfish.html this might help.
[/quote]

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:12 AM »
Have a bait question - call F&G law enforcement 271-3127- speak with Lt. Heidi Murphy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.