Author Topic: Looking for advice for finishing off new ice shack.  (Read 2560 times)

Offline REDRUM1969

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for advice for finishing off new ice shack.
« on: Jan 26, 2018, 05:54 PM »
Hello everyone!

My name is Tim and I love ice fishing.

I just acquired a brand new 8x10 NFS (Nothern Fabrication Solutions) ice shanty. Jason and his team build one heck of an ice shanty and the quality is second to none. I called and spoke to Jason and I plan on bringing it back to them to modify the end of the unit with barn doors at some point soon.

I'd like to get some input from any of you that have finished off the inside of your aluminum shantys.

What type of foam insulation is recommended foil backed or will any type do?

Also would one also tape the foam in place and can I use silicone on the back of the foam to adhere to the walls?

I am also considering attaching strapping to the framing and installing thin cedar boards to all the walls.

Do you paint the floors or throw some outdoor carpeting down?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Tim

Offline REDRUM1969

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Looking for advice for finishing off new ice shack.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Oh one more thing...I plan to run a little honda eu1000 inverter genny for power. Any ideas for wiring in the shanty and lights that seem to work well for everyone would be great too!

Thanks
Tim!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:29 PM »
W have a similar Mission aluminum 6x10 that we kept pretty simple. We used 3/4” foam board with a silver side and a gray side from Lowes. Not that expensive per sheet. We used liquid nails on the back and it adheres well to the sheet aluminum skin. I also caulked all around each panel with metal caulk. Indoor outdoor carpet stapled to the floor works for us.
A few shelves over the windows and a coat rack And a couple of cedar closet boards screwed to studs for hanging jigs and lures. A hole in the floor to route the propane hose through and that was it. Perhaps a fold down cot in the future and a fold down table outside for cooking and fileting fish. We use a Big Buddy heater and it works great.
Good luck with your build!

Offline REDRUM1969

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:36 PM »
Great info thanks Mowbizz!
I really like the fold down cot idea 👍

Offline articcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:48 PM »
Redrum

Did you win house at derby last weekend?

Offline REDRUM1969

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:04 PM »
Articat it's the same shack but I bought it from winner.

Great idea on the extra foam board for jigs and lures Snitch#8 👍

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:53 PM »
I have one about the same size.   You might want to use it for a season before you get to crazy.  See if you need more holes, add a bench seat or 2.  Mine has 2 fold down tables and a stationary table on the back end and 2 7 foot benches facing each other with 5 holes.  We use rattle traps run the finder and can jig out of it all at the same time.  Ventless heater, duct powered by computer fans to take the hear from the ceiling to your feet ( works great).   12 volt powered, I use a water proof boat switch, 12 Volt flood on the outside, 3 multi switched 1500 LumenLED lights, lots of 12v and USB ports for finders,cameras and phones.  I may have posted pics here somewhere.  Jason put in all of the tables and benches.  I made all of the mods after using it for a year and sat in fishing thinking about what I really wanted an where to put things.  before you cover up your walls take measurements of where the aluminum studs are for attaching stuff.  You are going to love this hut, takes it to a new level.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2018, 08:06 PM »
Here is the link from a few years ago.  I used the rubber puzzle exercise mat for the floor, waterproof, light and insulates.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=334333.msg3559484#msg3559484 

If you scroll done  on the thread you will see some pictures of what I did

Offline REDRUM1969

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2018, 08:30 PM »
WOW greenshack your rig is bada$$
What type of flooring is that and what is wall covering made out of? Does yours have the greenhouse see though roof that you covered? I think I will take your advice and slow my roll and just insulate it and use it this season to figure out best way to layout inside thanks for the great idea Sir!

Offline REDRUM1969

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2018, 08:35 PM »
 greenshack,
Did you make the propane bottle holder on the front of yours?

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2018, 08:44 PM »
Hi Tim, welcome to the site.  Nice job on ice shanty.  My advice would be to consider what your power needs are and plan from there.  My wheelhouse has a deep cycle 12v battery with a 4 circuit system.  I run interior LED's for lighting, a circuit for my stereo, circuit for accessories (phone chargers, Vex, inverter) and the last circuit for my exterior underglow LED lights.  I use a small solar panel to recharge the battery and so far it's been a good set up.  I have carpet on my floor stapled down and I run a Nu-way VENTING propane stove.  This stove is awesome! My floor has 2" foam and my walls all have an inch of foam.  We sleep on fold away cots and the shanty has a nice leather futon.  Another nice feature is a through wall 120v plug in so that when it is at home, you plug an extension cord into the side the shanty for power inside.  Good luck with finishing yours.

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2018, 08:46 PM »

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2018, 11:54 PM »
greenshack,
Did you make the propane bottle holder on the front of yours?

The material is a corrugated plastic sheets 4x8 plastic material which is easy to clean after each season.  The propane tank holder and the walls were done by Jason.  Those guys do tremendous work.  The flooring is the similar to this,https://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-Puzzle-Exercise-Interlocking-Tiles/dp/B013A4ATCQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517031725&sr=8-3&keywords=exercise+mats     I got the thickest I could find it insulates and is waterproof. This will be the 3rd season.  I did all of the wiring, heating, added holes, etc.  Jason had a guy trade it in after one season because he wanted an even bigger one.  I got lucky he had it in July, I was going to have him build one for me and he had this one so I stepped up at the time.  He built one for a friend and I spent a night in it and had to have one.  I wasn't sure if I liked the layout and he gave me great advice fish out of it the first season and them make changes, glad I listened.  This is my 6th Bob House probably my last.  As Arctic Addict mentioned he has a vented stove.  I would recommend that and probably will upgrade to that in the future.  Have fun, enjoy.

Offline REDRUM1969

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2018, 01:19 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome and all the great tips everyone.

In case anybody is thinking of new carpet for their shanty, lowes is discontinuing a variety of their outdoor carpeting that usually cost like 60+ cents a sq ft and they are only charging 1 cent a sq ft. They sliced me off a 9x12 and it costs $10...great deal.

Any of you guys buy any pre manufactured flip up tables for your shantys? If so where did you get yours?

Offline REDRUM1969

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2018, 01:23 PM »

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2018, 05:06 PM »
Looking good

Offline REDRUM1969

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2018, 01:43 PM »
Wired the shanty, installed two 12v led rv lights to the interior and added a 12v led exterior porch light.

Do you guys add exterior spot lights on each side to illuminate around your shantys?

I am caulking the edges of the aluminum studs where they meet the aluminum siding with aluminum caulking then installing foil faced 1 inch thick foam then taping seams with aluminum tape.

Am I doing this right lol?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2018, 03:42 PM »
Looks good but we caulked after we fit the foam board between the studs...to fill the gap around the edges. Definitely a lot of work fitting that foam board!

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:14 PM »
Wired the shanty, installed two 12v led rv lights to the interior and added a 12v led exterior porch light.

Do you guys add exterior spot lights on each side to illuminate around your shantys?

I am caulking the edges of the aluminum studs where they meet the aluminum siding with aluminum caulking then installing foil faced 1 inch thick foam then taping seams with aluminum tape.

Am I doing this right lol?

Looks good.  I have 12v LED floods on the outside one on each peak they work awesome when you are out there at night leaving late or getting there early.  I may add 2 more one each side.   I will probably put more jacket hooks inside 4 isn't enough.  I will assume you will have it out this weekend?  Good luck

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:26 PM »
I like having exterior spotlights.  They are super helpful when backing up the trailer at boat ramps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.