The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Moosehead conditions  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Pzaa

• IceShanty Rookie
Moosehead conditions
« on: Jan 24, 2018, 04:37 PM »
I’m headed to rockwood next week. Any reports on ice conditions?  Thanks.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Re: Moosehead conditions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2018, 04:42 PM »
Also curious to hear more about Moosehead.  Does anyone have info on local fishing reports, or posts of fish being caught there? 
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Kolt45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2018, 05:54 PM »
Fished last weekend at kineo. We did well...togue were hammering 2-3in tommy cod right under the ice in 20 ft of water.

Offline Gettinjiggy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2018, 06:31 PM »
 Heading to Rockwood next month    Never fished it before.   Reports say  there's 25 inches of ice right now.   I haven't really heard a fish report yet though
Flaaaaaaaaag!!!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2018, 06:44 PM »
Heading to Rockwood next month    Never fished it before.   Reports say  there's 25 inches of ice right now.   I haven't really heard a fish report yet though
Is there a website for reports you'd be able to share?

Kolt45, sounds like you had some good luck! 
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2018, 07:54 PM »
Is there a website for reports you'd be able to share?

You're on the site right now. LOL

I'm looking out the window at the lake, although it was already dark when we arrived. I'll post a report tomorrow night.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:05 PM »
You're on the site right now. LOL

I'm looking out the window at the lake, although it was already dark when we arrived. I'll post a report tomorrow night.

lol, cool thanks!  Looking forward to it.

Gettinjiggy said "the reports are saying 25 inches of ice", didn't see any reports on here, so just wondered if there was a moosehead fishing website.  Sometimes lodges or bait shops post reports, photos, and have chats, that's all I meant.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Gettinjiggy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:16 PM »
lol, cool thanks!  Looking forward to it.

Gettinjiggy said "the reports are saying 25 inches of ice", didn't see any reports on here, so just wondered if there was a moosehead fishing website.  Sometimes lodges or bait shops post reports, photos, and have chats, that's all I meant.

Hey big bass man ,   I actually got that information on an older post about Rockwood ,   There's actually a few different threads about Moosehead. All good info
Flaaaaaaaaag!!!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:24 PM »
Hey big bass man ,   I actually got that information on an older post about Rockwood ,   There's actually a few different threads about Moosehead. All good info
Thank you!  I'll keep my eyes open for more info on IceShanty.   :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2018, 09:18 AM »
You are invited to attend:

11th Annual Moosehead Lake Togue Derby

Friday, January 26, 2018 12:01 AM until Sunday, January 28, 2018 4:00 PM

Come join us for a fun weekend to celebrate the ice fishing tradition of the Moosehead Lake Region. Three prizes will be awarded for the first, second, & third largest togue. Winners will be ranked by weight. Prizes for the three largest togue are $1,500 1st place, $500 2nd place, and $250 3rd place.

NO FISH NEEDED TO WIN Just buy a ticket and you could be a winner!

1st Prize: Vacation trip for 2 to Vegas, Orlando, Caribbean Cruise or take $1500 CASH
2nd Prize: Savage Axis 270win with scope or take $300 CASH
3rd Prize: Tristar Upland Hunter Silver O/U in 12 gauge or take $300 CASH
4th Prize: Ice fishing gear package, including Jet Sled and Auger
5th Prize: $250 CASH

AND well over 50 other prizes: gift cards, gift certificates, gas cards, sports tickets, and goods from businesses around the State!

Plus, the Youth Prize Drawing including a Lifetime Fishing License!

Join us for a “Wild and Tame” dinner on Saturday January 27th at the Bartley Event Center: 241 Pritham Ave. from 4-7pm, when we will have some excellent moose, venison, and turkey dishes and then dole out the door prizes. Ricky Craven will be on hand to swap fishing stories with us.

Ticket Prices:
$25 Individual
$40 Family Ticket (Parents, Grandparents or Guardians and children age 17 and under)
$5 Youth Door Prize Raffle Ticket (Top Prize: Maine lifetime resident fishing license)

*Weigh Stations: locations and hours* Fish can be weighed at Bartley Event Center at 241 Pritham Ave. in Greenville or Moosehead Bait and Tackle in Rockwood. Weigh stations will be open Friday 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm, Saturday 4:00 pm –7:00 pm and Sunday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm.

email [email protected] with any questions

Moosehead Lake
, ME

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2018, 10:07 AM »
There is a webcam at    birches.com   showing the current conditions.  Another Rockwood webcam showing the "Kineo area" and where moose river enters is currently offline

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2018, 05:02 PM »
I was fishing near the south end, about three miles up today. Not much doing in the catching department since the only four fish I hooked got off in the hole. I was pleased that every fish I marked made a pass at the jig, mostly a solid whack and then they were gone. An inch or two of crusty snow in spots, mostly glare ice 22-24" measured. 

Offline Pzaa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.  2ft of ice is more than I expected and I guess I’ll bring the wheeler instead of the sled. Thanks again and hopefully tomorrow will bring more fish.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2018, 06:44 PM »
ATV is probably a good choice vs. sled, especially if your sled is liquid cooled.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2018, 07:26 PM »
Thanks for the report, Eiderz!  A tough day fishing, but at least you found a few.  You'll get em next time.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:40 PM »
Got into them today but nothing to brag about. The area I was in is loaded with small fish 10-18". The screen was lit up constantly. Lost count of the number caught, would estimate 30 most of which were under 14". Tons of fun to jig 'em up.

Offline Pzaa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2018, 04:01 PM »
Nice. I can’t wait to get up there and give it a go next week. 30 fish certainly must have been a blast!!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2018, 05:14 AM »
Yup, good fun. My wife came out for an hour and caught some too, the first time she's ever tried jigging. That was in 85' on a hump, today going to 40-50', many clouds of bait passed through in that depth range. Probably where the big guys are.  :icefish:

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2018, 05:17 AM »
One more thing.....big pressure crack east/west across the lake north of Moose Island. About 8' high at noon, gone by 4:00 pm. Ice is moving, be careful if you're in that area.

Offline Pzaa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2018, 05:56 AM »
Ok thanks, much appreciated. Be safe.

Offline Chiefer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2018, 07:08 AM »
Hey guys, is driving my truck out on the ice legal/allowed/frowned upon?  A few years ago I took my wife's Subaru out bombing around on the ice, had a great time and ice fished out of the back.  With 20+" of ice, would be a lot nicer to have a vehicle than walk and I don't have a sled or wheeler.

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:32 PM »
Hey guys, is driving my truck out on the ice legal/allowed/frowned upon?  A few years ago I took my wife's Subaru out bombing around on the ice, had a great time and ice fished out of the back.  With 20+" of ice, would be a lot nicer to have a vehicle than walk and I don't have a sled or wheeler.

you can  but  their are a lot of spots  on moosehead  that DO NOT FREEZE you may get a small layer of ice over or maybe snow cover if you don't know the lake I would drive on it

Offline Gettinjiggy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:18 PM »
  Hey guys,  just wondering how much snow you guys got up there ?   Putting together a couple trips in the next couple weeks and wondering whether to take the sleds or the wheelers?    I would think even if they get a good hit of snow  it must just blow off right ?  Anyway any info is great thanks
Flaaaaaaaaag!!!

Offline Pzaa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:24 PM »
I fished in Rockwood last week with a wheeler before the snow last night. Wheelers were ok but I wished I had my sled instead. There wasnt much snow on the lake but the snow is very crusty making it hard for a wheeler. My sled would have been easier. After this snow I wouldn’t bring the wheeler if it were me. Fishing was good too, especially around kineo. Good luck! 

Offline Gettinjiggy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:12 PM »
Thanks PZAA!   It will be the first time staying in Rockwood and fishing Kineo so I got high hopes.  Is there a descent bait shop over next to Rockwood?
Flaaaaaaaaag!!!

Offline blackpoint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2018, 05:57 PM »
Moosehead Bait and tackle on main rd near mouth of Moose River

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.