The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Tecumseh discontinued carb  (Read 882 times)

Offline lkimball

• IceShanty Rookie
Tecumseh discontinued carb
« on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:00 PM »
Hello all i am a newbie and i am going nuts trying to find a carb for my 1986 jiffy model 30 tecumseh engine. Carb part #640290 i can order one but wont get until April! Carb was rebuilt but it was in rough shape i need to find a carb. (Pretty sure its original)  My question is does anybody know of another aftermarket carb i could possibly use? Is it interchangeable? I have scoured the net and the white flag is up! Any and all suggestions would be grately appreciated!

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a beverage here man!
Re: Tecumseh discontinued carb
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:21 PM »
I have an old Tecumseh on my Lazer with a discontinued carb. I posted about it here https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=354370.0

Long story short my auger is used and at some point someone needed to replace the carb and did so with a totally different make and model (which happens to now also be discontinued).

I have no clue how you'd determine what replacement would be "close enough" but apparently it can be done. Though if you read my thread maybe better off just saving for a new machine.

Good luck, curious to hear what happens!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
             --------------( ' )---------------
                                 '
                   ><:>      '     <:::><
                                 '
                   ><:::>   *

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:28 PM »
I Googled your part number and here's a link to two sites where I found some, the prices aren't too nice and they don't say if it's in stock or not but it looks like it is.  I hope it helps you.

http://www.arkansas-ope.com/Tecumseh_Carburetors.html (you have to scroll down about 3/4 of the page to get to it)

https://www.kohler-engine-parts.opeengines.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=24283

Offline lkimball

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2018, 06:09 AM »
 Thank you so much I will definitely call these two places. I called three places that show that they had a carburetor when I contacted them they stated that their “supplier“ was out I had them call their supplier and they were back ordered until April. But I will certainly call these two I appreciate your time and effort I will let you know

Offline lkimball

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:46 AM »
Chris338378 thank you again, just an update i contacted both of those websites and neither have them in stock in fact on back order util feb-april. Thanks for your help!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2018, 10:21 PM »
Glad I could help you, I just wish they actually had them for you.  I'd check some Mom & Pop engine repair shops that have been around for a while, they might have one on a back shelf.  I don't know where you're located but there's two more places that you might want to try.  The first is Greenfield Power Equipment, their address is 459 PA-247, Greenfield Township, PA 18407, phone (570) 222-4330.  They've been around for a long time and the guy's name who works in the shop is Wayne.  I'd give them a call and ask for him, he's REALLY good at working on small engines and might have one floating around or know a substitute carb you could use.  I'm not positive that they'd ship you the carb but don't see any reason they wouldn't.  The second one is Scranton Grinder, their address is 1020 Hemlock St, Scranton, PA 18505, phone (570) 344-2520.  I'd give them a call and see if they have one.  Again I'm not sure if they'd ship it but don't see why they wouldn't.  Good luck and I hope you find one.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:31 AM »
This may work.. contact the retailer..my buddy put one on his old SM Mag 2000 plug and play EZPZ

http://www.drockicecenter.com/zama-carburetor/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:18 PM »
Jiffy repair centers may have some. These are usually small engine repair places or bait shops. One of the most common augers right there, gotta be some carbs floating around.
Do you have the original?
Many times a carb kit is all that is needed and those are all over ebay.
It must be something in the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.