The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: My son's first time ice fishing  (Read 1304 times)

Offline jeffice

• IceShanty Rookie
My son's first time ice fishing
« on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:36 PM »
Went to my favorite spot for some fishing with my son. He's nine, and was plenty eager to get out. We got all set up by 9:30 and the first flag was up by 10:30. I set the hook and he pulled him up. A respectable bass. His first fish ever caught ice fishing. He was very excited, and so was I. The next flag was 11:00 and we caught another decent bass. 
Left at 12:30 due to him being cold, but he definitely stayed out longer than I thought he would. The wind was a constant 5 mph and he got two pairs of gloves wet checking and cleaning holes.
Still, one of the best ice fishing days I've ever had. 
Sorry no pictures, but I am technically challenged
In it for the fight.  Catch and Release

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My son's first time ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:52 PM »
Good for you and son ... maybe this will become the catalyst for more ...

Best,
Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:55 PM »
perfect, another one hooked :clap:

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Great story! Had my daughter out for the first time this season. She went to bed at 7:30 last night, wearing her pajamas. Came out of her room at 7:45 saying she couldn’t sleep, wearing her ice fishing clothes! She was at the foot of my bed at 4:04am asking when we were leaving. Finally got some holes drilled around 8am, and she was chasing her first flag of the year by 11. As she passed her new pink HT polar, she said “I wish the fish was on my trap”. No sooner did she complete that sentence we passed her pink trap and boom, flag number two. Her first ever double, 2 pickerel. Caught theee in all, and had a blast with the princess

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2018, 02:39 PM »
Get your kids hooked on fishing! It’s the only addiction they will ever be able to afford. I can remember my dad telling me when I was younger that when I got older I was responsible for keeping a boat ready For us to fish out of. Bought my first boat when I was 17 and have kept one ready for the water ever since then. It is our past time and as busy as life gets we always seem to make some time to fish together. Not to mention it kept me out of a lot of trouble growing up.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline mrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2018, 02:45 PM »
Good job getting the kids out. Enjoy every minute they grow up fast and life will get in the way before you know it.   :tipup:

Offline manitron2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:05 PM »
Jeff, a few more years and he will be your Sherpa aka auger carrier/sled puller.    ;)
Get off the fence and protect your rights!

Offline jeffice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:50 PM »
I'm training him now Manny.  He pulled the sled to each tip up as we were packing up, and he had the sled with the extra clothes and food.  He was building his muscles by chopping the ice with my hatchet. Kid loved chipping that ice and sliding it across the lake.
In it for the fight.  Catch and Release

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2018, 04:07 PM »
That’s great! The princess kept asking how long until we check bait. I went a few times on my own just to chisel ice, but we checked bait together, she reset flags after I dropped the bait in, pulled traps out at cleanup time and pulled the sled (Shanty, traps, bait, chairs and clothes) about half way to the shore

Offline manitron2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2018, 04:19 PM »
That’s great! The princess kept asking how long until we check bait. I went a few times on my own just to chisel ice, but we checked bait together, she reset flags after I dropped the bait in, pulled traps out at cleanup time and pulled the sled (Shanty, traps, bait, chairs and clothes) about half way to the shore

Great work on getting her out. I had my daughter ice fishing for about 5 years but she lost interest eventually. Still, I would not trade those days or the memories for anything.
Get off the fence and protect your rights!

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2018, 04:20 PM »
Jeff, a few more years and he will be your Sherpa aka auger carrier/sled puller.    ;)
everyone could use a good sherpa :blink:

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2018, 04:24 PM »
Great work on getting her out. I had my daughter ice fishing for about 5 years but she lost interest eventually. Still, I would not trade those days or the memories for anything.

Thanks. This is year 4, so you got me worried. She just turned 10, so I am hoping for a few more seasons before it’s not cool anymore

Offline CranMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2018, 04:38 PM »
Awesome. Can't wait to take my little guy.

Offline TRIPLE S

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2018, 04:47 PM »
Thats AWESOME  started my boys fishing 5 & 3 years old they are 15  &  13 now. Thats all they wan't to do . Fresh, Salt. and Ice fishing !!  They fish every weekend .  Took  them to Lake Onterio  this past summer my 15 year old caught a 26 lbs king 13 year old caught a 24 lbs king . They caught 36 kings in 2 days of fishing. You have to cherish these times

Offline Wants2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2018, 04:51 PM »
I started my son and daughter an early age. Bundled them in snowsuits and took them out for the day.my buddies took their kids and we played hockey, has snow mobile rides, launched a Estes rocket, ate good food, just had a great day. Kids would fall asleep on the way home.
Now they are older and have other interests but dad still goes with the buds.
Miss those times  :'(

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:27 PM »

Congratulations on taking your son out, and landing a couple bass to boot!  Good job.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:33 PM »
Went to my favorite spot for some fishing with my son. He's nine, and was plenty eager to get out. We got all set up by 9:30 and the first flag was up by 10:30. I set the hook and he pulled him up. A respectable bass. His first fish ever caught ice fishing. He was very excited, and so was I. The next flag was 11:00 and we caught another decent bass. 
Left at 12:30 due to him being cold, but he definitely stayed out longer than I thought he would. The wind was a constant 5 mph and he got two pairs of gloves wet checking and cleaning holes.
Still, one of the best ice fishing days I've ever had. 
Sorry no pictures, but I am technically challenged

That's awesome! He's hooked now! I started seriously fishing around that age and it's a good age to get the bug. The theory is whatever you get them started on at that age will stay with them. When some friends and I were in a garage band we lamented how good we could have been if we had only started at 9 or 10! Were are all late bloomers on the guitar.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline wbfishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:55 PM »
great, they always get cold their first time
Someone told me ice fishing was too good to be true. I said, what's the catch?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:56 PM »
Way to go! 

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:07 PM »
“Like”

Offline Bigbellybilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bigbellybilly
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:20 PM »
Congrats on getting your son out reminds me with my son he started at age 5 and is 17 now and still fishes every weekend with me and he does the  drilling and pulling sled he started to do the cooking also great time with him  He has sponsors now from St   ST crioux an Shimano    SO enjoy your time with hin it is great
Bigbelly

Offline wardo888

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:22 PM »
There’s billy...I knew I’d recognize the name eventually! I can second that, went out on Sunday and billy and his crew invited me over for brunch and a great time on the ice... food good laughs and some flags (well, their flags 😂) . A great day on the ice at it’s finest. Hope to catch em out there again before the season ends !

Offline icetilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2018, 06:35 AM »
Great job getting the kids out there!! I started my son on ice fishing when he was 5 and now he's 16 and he's obsessed with it. We need more kids out there to carry it on.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2018, 07:14 AM »
Nice!  My son was 7 when I started him. First few trips we're 2 hours max.  Your boy did great!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline Uncle Lar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DON'T SHADOW THE HOLE
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2018, 07:21 AM »
Jeff-

Nice to see a Dad being a Dad. Great post!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:32 AM »
Great job to all of the parents/guardians getting the little ones out! My boy just turned 1 so as soon as we have a nice day out he will be out there with me for a bit. Hoping to have photos of that soon... Maybe saturday with temps almost in the 50's.
Just add water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.