Author Topic: Refilling 1lb Propane tanks...........The flame King Kit.  (Read 6626 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
So I've filled my own 1lb tanks for a few years now. I weigh them with a scale and everything works really good. I do a bunch of tanks at a time and store them in milk crates.

I just seen that Flame King is new selling the refillable 1lb tanks for $15 and the refill kit for $45.......Stand, adaptor with a trigger, and a 1lb refill tank.

The kit looks smooth and prices must have come way down.....not to long ago a 1lb refill tank was $70.....the refill kit was like $150-$200.

Anyhow....Does anyone have any experiance with the flame King 1lb refill kit? Is it a lot smoother then the adaptor and green tanks? Also is it a lot easier to refill?

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Refilling 1lb Propane tanks...........The flame King Kit.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:18 AM »
I'll be waiting for a review myself. Do you have a link to where they have them for $15?
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:26 AM »
REI lists @ 14.95

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:28 AM »
REI lists @ 14.95

Forgive my ignorance..... what is REI?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:35 AM »
I recently started looking into the Flame King set up afre noticing a price drop ..my concern is the height of their one pound tank ..It appears a little taller then a disposable tank ...my concern is it may tilt my old Portable Buddy up some activating the tip switch..any one have a height or side by side comparison to a disposable one pounder
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:36 AM »

https://www.rei.com/

WS

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:39 AM »

Recreational Equipment Inc. They are big on camping and hiking, but not fishing.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:45 AM »
I recently started looking into the Flame King set up afre noticing a price drop ..my concern is the height of their one pound tank ..It appears a little taller then a disposable tank ...my concern is it may tilt my old Portable Buddy up some activating the tip switch..any one have a height or side by side comparison to a disposable one pounder

Thanks for the link guys.

And it says this in the description.....
....Compatible with all appliances that today's disposable propane cylinders are compatible with....

8.75 x 3.75 x 3.75 inches

The price is getting to the point where there is no excuse to refill a disposable any more.

Offline ojibwa6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:55 AM »
I'm interested in the refillable tanks. as of now I refill my 1 lb tanks. I had a couple that leaked when I would screw them into my buddy heater. I cleaned the threads real good and that prevented that. Also not sure how many times I can refill the disposable tanks.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2018, 11:08 AM »
deal ninja has a review of it in equipment section. run a search.
the height of the bottle has been a major hold back for many besides price.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2018, 11:18 AM »

so it is too tall for a buddy heater?

I couldn't find the deal ninja thing

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2018, 11:27 AM »

What was wondering is if a guy can fill the green bottles with the trigger fill handle....be smooth

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2018, 11:35 AM »
you'd think so ag. unless an adapter is needed to use their bottle on our appliances. some gas bottles are like that. i had to buy an adapter to use tiny stoves and lanterns.

i didn't read much into it. the height issues has been ongoing since it was first discussed here last year.
the price kept me from digging into it, let alone the height problem.
so i can not answer your question because i don't use that system.

deal ninja's post was some thing like "last (or final) attempt at heating fuel alternative". so try that in a search or ask him in a pm if you want to know more. or wait and see if any one else has gone for it.

if i a had to answer your question about is it too tall. i would say no it's not too tall because the mount for the gas bottles swivel outwards. so that bottle would stick out and away from it.
another way is to look up how tall disposable bottles are so you know the differences.

personally i think they should design their bottle to be the same as the disposables in dimensions and who cares how much gas it holds afterwords. that would better serve all of us and them.

Flame King YSN1LBKT-14
some warnings

top of their bottle. looks off to me. has added notching under the threads.
also, you can see it is built like the map gas bottles that are tall and skinny.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2018, 12:05 PM »
This is what REI had listed

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2018, 03:15 PM »
Here are the dimensions I found for a regular green propane bottle, 3.88 x 3.88 x 8.00 Inches. So, it appears the refillable tank is just slightly smaller in diameter and about 3/4 of an inch taller.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2018, 03:16 PM »
This is what REI had listed

Everything is the same excepting height a green one is just under 8in....guessing the flame King is an 1in taller just by eyeballing it. I'm gonna get a kit though, the cylinder shouldn't be an issue unless in a portable/big buddy.....howerver I think I could just put 4 rubber bumps on the portable buddy feet to gain an 1in height so The tank would work.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2018, 03:21 PM »
I checked out an 11 lb tank in person and almost bought it. It was pretty small. I ended up buying a 5 lb Flame King and it will be here in a few days. 10' green Buddy hose and I can leave the tank outside of my flipover.

Dont know what the appeal is with refillable 1 lb tanks...you'd have to bring multiple 1 lb for a long day, why not just a 5 lb that takes up less space than 3 1 lb tanks?

Plus, not a big fan of using a 20 lb grill tank to have to keep refilling the 1 lb. With a 5, you bring it to a store and they fill it.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2018, 03:28 PM »
I checked out an 11 lb tank in person and almost bought it. It was pretty small. I ended up buying a 5 lb Flame King and it will be here in a few days. 10' green Buddy hose and I can leave the tank outside of my flipover.

Dont know what the appeal is with refillable 1 lb tanks...you'd have to bring multiple 1 lb for a long day, why not just a 5 lb that takes up less space than 3 1 lb tanks?

Plus, not a big fan of using a 20 lb grill tank to have to keep refilling the 1 lb. With a 5, you bring it to a store and they fill it.

Matt I got a 5#,11#, 2-20#, & 4-30# plus 18-green 1lb bombs.

While the 5-11# tanks sound great......I found them to have their place.....Just like 1#tanks.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:59 PM »

It says that they will NOT fit Buddy heaters on the REI site under FAQ for this product

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:21 PM »
It says that they will NOT fit Buddy heaters on the REI site under FAQ for this product

Good to know. But i use a 5 pound on the buddy so no problem. For lanterns they will work excellent.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:35 PM »

x2. Uses up a lot of space and a pain to change. 5lb seems like a perfect amount for one long day. What stores do you re-fill them at ?

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:47 PM »
I have refilled the throw away tanks for several years now. Some tanks have been refilled at least a dozen times with no issue.  Why pay all the extra money for the new refill kit?  seems like a waste of cash...if its not broke, don't fix it! Almost all of my disposable tanks came from garbage piles picked up on the ice. Refill a grill tank for $14 and get about 20 refills from it.............

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2018, 07:01 PM »
I also have different tanks for different situations.but I'm not bringing a 5,11 or 20 to heat my 1 man shacks plus the little buddy only works with 1 pounders and that's what I bring in my 1 man and its plenty of heat.i could buy a bunch of adapters to get it to work.now a day with my hub shelters I will bring my 11# tank and portable buddy or sunflower heater.i like 1 lbers and only go thru 2 in a dawn to dusk day.im still going to refill my little green bombs I guess if those flame kings don't work on buddy heaters.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:03 PM »
x2. Uses up a lot of space and a pain to change. 5lb seems like a perfect amount for one long day. What stores do you re-fill them at ?

Refill it yourself from a 20 pounder. It's easy and safe.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:10 PM »
yep it is too.i just filled my 11#tank from the 20#.need the 1#refill adapter and a char broil grill hose.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2018, 01:01 AM »
Here’s a link to my propane system post.  I’m loving this setup btw; so easy and convenient!  If I plan on a full day of fishing, I’ll take two tanks out with me.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=347632.msg3701976#msg3701976

The Flame King refillable tanks work just fine with the Little Buddy and Portable Buddy heaters.  They may not work with the larger Mr Buddy heaters that enclose the propane cylinder(s).
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline thordoggydog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2019, 07:06 PM »
Can you fill the coleman disposable 1lbers with this kit? i see it has an extra little doohicky that looks like it might make it not seal because you can't thread it on all the way.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #27 on: Nov 28, 2019, 07:09 PM »
Can you fill the coleman disposable 1lbers with this kit? i see it has an extra little doohicky that looks like it might make it not seal because you can't thread it on all the way.
ive heard you can cut that piece of plastic off the fill valve and refill the coleman tanks.im not recommending it but..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 28, 2019, 07:14 PM »
I also have different tanks for different situations.but I'm not bringing a 5,11 or 20 to heat my 1 man shacks plus the little buddy only works with 1 pounders and that's what I bring in my 1 man and its plenty of heat.i could buy a bunch of adapters to get it to work.now a day with my hub shelters I will bring my 11# tank and portable buddy or sunflower heater.i like 1 lbers and only go thru 2 in a dawn to dusk day.im still going to refill my little green bombs I guess if those flame kings don't work on buddy heaters.

This is puzzling to me......I have a portable buddy that I ran the flame king 1lb refillable tanks on last year....not one problem.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #29 on: Nov 28, 2019, 07:23 PM »
This is puzzling to me......I have a portable buddy that I ran the flame king 1lb refillable tanks on last year....not one problem.
i run flame kings in a portable buddy too.i was talking about the little buddy that screws on top of a 1lber.there was concern last year of flame kings being a tad taller not fitting in the portable or big buddies which is not the case.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.