New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LOTI here I come!  (Read 4937 times)

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
LOTI here I come!
« on: Jan 12, 2018, 04:07 PM »
Just made reservations at Wellesley Island for early February!   Should give me a chance to fish LOTI and Red Lake and I am PUMPED! 

If there are any other spots up in that area worth dropping a line let me know.  If anyone else is going to be up there the weekend of 2 Feb let me know and we can link up for a tasty adult beverage.
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LOTI here I come!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2018, 07:03 AM »
I was looking for charts of the area and found this one...maybe it will be useful for others in that area:

http://www.old-maps.com/nautical/GreatLakes/1_NewYork/0_016_WhiskeyIsland_BartlettPoint_1946_16-08-1946_web.jpg

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2018, 09:34 AM »
So looking at the map I'm guessing access to LOTI is from the launch at De Wolf State park - is there any other public access? 

How do you get on at Eel Bay?  nature center drive looks like it goes down to the water but I didn't see any parking areas. 

Is there anyplace to access the ice directly from the camping area at Wellesely Island SP?

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LOTI Preparations
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2018, 01:09 PM »
I've decided I am going to dump all my pre-trip virtual scouting information on this thread.  If anyone has boots on the ice information they want to share please do!

DEC St. lawrence river fishing information:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/29956.html

Shorecap Site:
http://www.fishcap.net/st.-lawrence-river.html

Offline Longlegg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2018, 01:22 PM »
LOTI access is DeWolfe Point. Eel Bay access is near the cabins on road to the nature center. There is a steep drop off from cabins to Eel Bay. Chaumont, Goose Bay and Chippewa Bay have access at boat launches. Most Indian River Lakes have access at state launches. Perch Lake also has state access. More places to ice fish within a 45 minute drive than you could possibly fish. I'd likely stick with Eel Bay and LOTI for pike, perch panfish and fishing is pretty decent water is fairly shallow and generally easy access. Chaumont might have bigger fish and the added possibility of walleyes but access is much more of and issue.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2018, 01:47 PM »
LOTI access is DeWolfe Point. Eel Bay access is near the cabins on road to the nature center. There is a steep drop off from cabins to Eel Bay. Chaumont, Goose Bay and Chippewa Bay have access at boat launches. Most Indian River Lakes have access at state launches. Perch Lake also has state access. More places to ice fish within a 45 minute drive than you could possibly fish. I'd likely stick with Eel Bay and LOTI for pike, perch panfish and fishing is pretty decent water is fairly shallow and generally easy access. Chaumont might have bigger fish and the added possibility of walleyes but access is much more of and issue.

Thanks for the information. Looking at the chart for LOTI it looks like there is a decent hole east south east of the launch - is that a decent spot to go on that side?  Going blind we'll probably try to find the drop off for it and post up there.  On the Eel Bay side I'm guessing one place is as good as another with the even depth. 

I tried perch lake 4 or 5 years ago and using an 8" auger with dull blades trying to cut through 24" of ice took forever.

Really appreciate the info!

My guess is that we will have enough fishing juice that motor vehicle operation will be held to a minimum. 

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2018, 02:19 PM »
Bait shop wise we will probably either hit up Fat Nancy's in Pulaski or 1000 island bait store at 42980 New York RT 12, Alexandria Bay, NY 13607

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2018, 02:36 PM »
My .02, I do not get off in Pulaski for any reason due to it not being easy on/easy off of 81– just go to the TI Bait Shop... it’s right off 81. Price Chopper is also right there for your groceries. If you’re staying at the cabins on Wellesley you will drive next to the launch on Eel just before you go up the hill to the cabins.  Pretty much anywhere in Eel will be fish. I haven’t found a ‘spot’ there although some areas may be a little better.  The same partially holds true for LOTI. In certain areas, you’ll catch gills while others you’ll get perch and pike.  If you go to TI Bait, they’ll point you in the right direction.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2018, 02:46 PM »
My .02, I do not get off in Pulaski for any reason due to it not being easy on/easy off of 81– just go to the TI Bait Shop... it’s right off 81. Price Chopper is also right there for your groceries. If your staying at the cabins on Wellesley you will drive next to the launch on Eel just before you go up the hill to the cabins.  Pretty much anywhere in Eel will be fish. I haven’t found a ‘spot’ there although some areas may be a little better.  The same partially holds true for LOTI. In certain areas, you’ll catch gills while others you’ll get perch and pike.  If you go to TI Bait, they’ll point you in the right direction.

Good point.  When I'm up that way I usually stay in Mexico and we head up to Sandy Pond and either hit up Fat Nancy's or woody's(?) on 3.    Thanks for the recommendation.

On the map it looks like there are some sheltered small areas on the north side of the island, one near a boat launch.  Any safe ice up there or is it too close to the main channel?

Offline Longlegg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Should be plenty of fishermen on the ice that will point you in the right general direction. As stated much of Eel Bay is similar in depth with little structure. LOTI does have some deeper spots that you can check on. Sometimes it pays to hop around and other times it's putting in time and waiting for them to turn on.TI Bait store will have anything you need and is on Route 12 just south of 81. Very near the bridge. When a tip goes up always take a jig pole as there are often perch bothering pike bait and you can sometimes find a hot hot perch hole. Also can catch some nice jumbo perch on regular size pike bait.

Offline Birdslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep moving
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2018, 07:12 PM »
Good point.  When I'm up that way I usually stay in Mexico and we head up to Sandy Pond and either hit up Fat Nancy's or woody's(?) on 3.    Thanks for the recommendation.

On the map it looks like there are some sheltered small areas on the north side of the island, one near a boat launch.  Any safe ice up there or is it too close to the main channel?

My home turf but now I live in Pulaski. When you go into welsley Island state park take your first left after the park office it will take you down to eel bay and there will be a small parking lot on the bay at ice level on the right no need to do the hill... STAY AWAY from the channel side there are a few small coves that get ice but very unpredictable and one you saw was probably the swimming area and 5hey will ticket you for fishing there.... kids hooks not a good combo! When you get on eel there is a small channel to the left thats 8ft perch cruise it all day long. As for LOTI access it a dewolf and you might need 4x4 to get out it has a steep hill and they don't plow it only the locals do so not always taken care of. Perch to the left and crappie to the right one you get past the little point... good luck!
Find the bite, Fish the bite, repeat

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2018, 07:24 PM »
Birdslayer and longlegg - thanks for the great information if either of you are going to be up in that neck of the woods the weekend of the third shoot me a PM and I will have  tasty adult beverage with your name on it.  Well as long as your initials are PBR :)

Clowns to the left of me
jokers to the right!

Offline Joshj11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hows the Ice?
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2018, 09:48 AM »
My home turf but now I live in Pulaski. When you go into welsley Island state park take your first left after the park office it will take you down to eel bay and there will be a small parking lot on the bay at ice level on the right no need to do the hill... STAY AWAY from the channel side there are a few small coves that get ice but very unpredictable and one you saw was probably the swimming area and 5hey will ticket you for fishing there.... kids hooks not a good combo! When you get on eel there is a small channel to the left thats 8ft perch cruise it all day long. As for LOTI access it a dewolf and you might need 4x4 to get out it has a steep hill and they don't plow it only the locals do so not always taken care of. Perch to the left and crappie to the right one you get past the little point... good luck!

How far out is this "8ft channel" on Eel bay? I've been fishing hardwater there for over 10 years and have never found this, and i've moved quite a bit. To me Eel is consistently sandy and 4 FOW wherever you happen to setup.

Offline Birdslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep moving
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:51 PM »
Josh,
Send me a pm you know I can't post it on here.... famous quote "boots on the ground" or if you prefer " nothing earned is nothing gained"
Find the bite, Fish the bite, repeat

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:44 AM »

As this is my first real trip to the area for ice fishing should we get to Wellesley as soon as possible and hit up Eel/LOTI or should we try one of the lakes near Redwood (Red, Mud, Hyde, etc) first?  We are going to be in the area probably mid-morning on Saturday and won't be able to access our cabin until late afternoon.

Preparations are well underway for the adventure. 

Acquired a fishfinder (helix 5) and my brother picked up a new 4 man shanty.  Adapter for the heater and a 20# tank and now we are onto the trivial details of who is bringing the grub.

Offline Longlegg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:24 AM »
I'd go right to TI Bait and ask for information. Then head to LOTI or Eel Bay as cabins are very nearby and they are as good as anywhere to start. Eel Bay in particular is pretty uniform in depth so location isn't as critical as it would be on Indian River Lakes.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:18 AM »
I'd go right to TI Bait and ask for information. Then head to LOTI or Eel Bay as cabins are very nearby and they are as good as anywhere to start. Eel Bay in particular is pretty uniform in depth so location isn't as critical as it would be on Indian River Lakes.

Do folks in the area generally prefer Eel over LOTI?

Offline St. Lawrence River Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2018, 10:05 AM »
Both bays have plenty of fish but I prefer LOTI for the diversity (perch, pike, crappie, bluegill) and space available.  Eel Bay tends to get more pressure near the boat launch, while fisherman in LOTI tend to spread out a bit.

Again, just one opinion, you'll most likely catch fish in both bays.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2018, 10:15 AM »
Both bays have plenty of fish but I prefer LOTI for the diversity (perch, pike, crappie, bluegill) and space available.  Eel Bay tends to get more pressure near the boat launch, while fisherman in LOTI tend to spread out a bit.

What species are predominant in the Eel side  - I kind of figured it would be about the same in each location.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Does anyone know if the fish cleaning station is open year round at Wellesley?  I haven't been able to find anything online.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2018, 02:23 PM »

How far out from the launch is the ice usually safe on Eeel bay?  It is a lot different from the waters that I usually fish on.

Offline Jama65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2018, 06:49 PM »
I just got back from a 3 day trip to Eel Bay & LOTI, stayed at the Wellesley Islands cottages, had a good time.  Both the bay and LOTI had plenty of ice and room to fish.  Had much better luck in Eel, but did have a a wider variety of fish in the lake.  Eel was all Pike and Perch while in the lake we caught bass and crappie as well.    There were plenty of folks at both places, follow their lead without crowding, you'll do well.

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2018, 07:25 PM »
How far out from the launch is the ice usually safe on Eeel bay?  It is a lot different from the waters that I usually fish on.

You can go quite a ways out but don't venture out past the point on the NW side of the bay.  There is alot of current that flows from arround Murray island out to the Canadian channel through the bay.  Ice would be sketchy there.  I know it well by boat, not as good on the ice....

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:35 PM »
As NNYIceAngler says you can go pretty far out into Eel Bay, but avoid the area near the cut by Murray Island.  I've never gone farther than the Nature Center myself. 

Eel Bay - Pike/Perch
LOTI - Pike/Perch/Crappie,occasional out of season bass.

I don't believe any of the fish cleaning stations would be open at this time of year, but I've never stayed at the cabins.

Good luck and enjoy your time on the river!

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Guys - awesome information.  Hopefully I have a chance to augment it after my time up there this weekend!  Sounds like Eel is the preferred spot, but I'm guessing we will be checking both of them out.

Just have to make it through a couple more days of work for the week!   ;D

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2018, 08:55 AM »
Several years ago I was at a training up in Jefferson county and one of the other guys in the class was talking about catching an Eel on the St. Lawrence?  Are there any Eel in Eel bay?  That would be a trippy thing to pull through the ice.

PS  several years ago I was fishing with my wife in the Occuquan river (in Virginia) and she was more or less asleep in the bow of the joh boat.  I got a hit dragging a worm on the bottom and pulled a lamprey up...right next to her head as my jon boat isn't very big:  "You are not bringing that thing into the boat.  It was awesome :)

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2018, 08:59 AM »
Odd grammar question:  Would it be "the eponymous fish of eel bay"?  or "Eel are no longer common in the eponymous bay"

???

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2018, 05:46 PM »
I fished Eel last Saturday. Cleaned about 40 perch— nothing over 11” with lots in the 8” range and the occasional dink.  Saw some big girls but they never hit. Was very windy but my daughter and nieces had a great time! Ice was thick—can’t remember exact though.  Minnows on football jigs and heads on jigging raps worked well in both perch color and silver with blue belly. 

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2018, 05:58 PM »
As a kid, I remember people catching eels in Eel Bay with some regularity in the spring during bullhead season.  I don't fish for that season anymore, so I'm not sure if they are as numerous now. 

Never seen an eel through the ice, but we've averaged about 1 mud puppy per year through the ice over the last decade. 

That's a unique sight on a tip-up.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2018, 11:26 AM »
T-48 hours!

Are there a lot of sleds on the ice up there at night on either Eel or LOTI?  Trying to figure out if we need to do something for visibility at night so we don't get creamed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.