Author Topic: Your top open water lake for Walleye?  (Read 3262 times)

Offline bellmontwrestling

• IceShanty Rookie
Your top open water lake for Walleye?
« on: Feb 27, 2006, 09:59 AM »
OK everyone, I do believe that it is now without a doubt over for the year.  So, focus is moving towards open water.  I hope to spend more time on the water this year.  I have always fished mostly ponds.  So, my lake knowledge is minimal.  Let's hear your favorite lake in Indiana or lower Michigan for catching Walleye.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Your top open water lake for Walleye?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2006, 11:26 AM »
Once again the #1 Lake with numerous amout of walleyes caught every year is Brookville,all you're Indiana waters are stocked from the fry from this Lake,

Offline YR bender

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2006, 11:47 AM »
I would have to agree with Swedish on Brookville. I have not fished any other lake in IN., so I don't know about all the other hot spots.   I love to fish Lake Erie whenever I get the chance.

Offline Rufus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2006, 12:02 PM »
I don't do a lot of walleye fishing, but as a bass tournament fisherman I often catch a lot of them while fishing for bass. In the NE corner of the state the title has to go to Clear Lake. When the bite is on, I can have a limit of them in the boat in less than 30 minutes. They average 2-3 pounds, but 6-8 pounders are not common. I caught a 9 1/2 out of there a few years back while night fishing. I catch most of them out their on sinking jerkbaits and rattletraps. A close second to Clear would be Crooked Lake in Steuben County. They stock it every year and boy do those fish grow fast. I have seen several over 10 pounds weighed in during bass tournaments in the past. They tend to be extremely aggresive in Crooked and are much easier to catch than the ones in Clear. I fish Crooked all the time and there are not too many days that I don't catch a couple of them while bass fishing. The sleeper in our area though is Big Turkey. It is another lake they grow fast in and are extremely aggressive. In the spring through about late June I would fish Clear. The rest of the year, Crooked is your best bet. God Bless and Good Fishin'! 

Offline angolajones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2006, 07:56 PM »
Make the Drive to Erie
Clear Lake
Crooked
Big Turkey
Coldwater Chain

Jonesy

Offline finfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2006, 09:41 PM »
Pretty
Sylvan
Crooked
Clear

and the best but far from me......Brookville!!

Offline Walleyemaniac

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2006, 02:02 PM »
   I used to say Maxinkukee was a good walleye lake but I think its been over fished. 5 years ago I could catch 30 a day, now its good to get bit by 5. When  I was pulling out after all day fishing at least 10 boats from Ill. would be pulling in for all nighters. DNR needs to take a new creel if they haven't already. Just my opinion!  Craig

Offline Yogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2006, 04:13 PM »
1.Clear
2.Big Turkey
3.Crooked
4.James
5.Pretty

James is a big sleeper for walleyes.  You might not get the numbers you will on the other lakes but you will get the size.  I have caught several real nice walleyes out of James.  Clear I can usually do pretty good.  If you pick the right day you will get your limit.  The size in that lake varies.  Big Turkey is another good lake.  You will catch decent sized walleys.  I get very few small walleyes in that lake.  Crooked is becoming a real good lake.  The walleye are starting to get to that perfect eating size.  I am going to tell you right now in a couple years.  Lake George in Steuben county is going to be on my top 5 lake.  The Dnr is stocking walleys in there and I been catching a bunch of small ones the last couple of years.

Yogi

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2006, 09:23 PM »
Walleyemaniac I have to agree with you on Max. That lake has structure, Structure and more STRUCTURE. If you are lucky enough to find them you will catch size and numbers. For me the lake I choose is Bass Lake. For years you had to catch 15 small ones to get one keeper. For the last few years early spring clouly, windy days are limits . Last year I caught at least a dozen limits. Average 16 to 19 GOOD EATERS.

Offline Curt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2006, 07:57 AM »
I have always heard good things about Winona, but I fished a bass tournament on it last year and there were dead walleye anywhere from fingerlings to 10 inchers floating all over.  I don't know if they did something wrong when they stocked it last year or what?  The seagulls were feeding on them all over the place.  I wonder what kind of impact that is going to have this year?

Offline therechris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2006, 11:01 AM »
Are you referring to James in Steuben Co.?

Offline Yogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2006, 12:20 PM »
Yes I am.  James in Steuben

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2006, 01:24 PM »
Yogi,  didn't they stop stocking walleye in James years ago?  Is there a lake association that is stocking it now?

If people on this board weren't aware.  Lake George just started stocking walleye a couple years ago.  From all that I've heard, they are doing real well.  This could be a top walleye fishery in a few years.  The lake association started it, and if successful the DFG will be picking up the stocking in a couple years.
When the bass season is over, there's nothing better than ice fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.