Author Topic: Rod case  (Read 2624 times)

Offline superstockbigblock

• IceShanty Rookie
Rod case
« on: Jan 05, 2018, 08:39 PM »
I bought a frabill rod case that advertised fitting 8 rods and is like a puzzle to fit 3-4. I've never liked the case and it won't fit longer rods.  I've watched some videos and it looks like a Plano 42" tactical case works well.  Eagle claw had a decent one too. Does anyone have a case they really like and would recommend?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Rod case
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2018, 08:48 PM »
I like my eagle claw hold easily 4 rods, the clamps that hold it shut are plastic, had to broke them yet, and have fished in below zero temps!!

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:05 PM »
I just use the soft sided rod bags. To protect the rods a little better I bought some of the foam tubes for plumbing pipes. I just slide the rods down into the foam. It doesn't add very much weight, but knowing the rods are safe. I carry 6 rods per bag, combination of light on the outside and medium in the middle.

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:28 PM »
I just got the Scheels Outfitters Ice Combo Case for $50 and i love it! Exactly what i was looking for. Perfectly fits 4 combos with jigs tied on. Measures 35" L x 9.5" H x 4.5" D.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:31 PM »
I got a Otter Sportsman rod case and that thing will easily fit 8 rods and my tackle cases.... however it is a little big

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Rangerphil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:45 PM »
Striker ice makes a nice one!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:44 PM »
I just use the soft sided rod bags. To protect the rods a little better I bought some of the foam tubes for plumbing pipes. I just slide the rods down into the foam. It doesn't add very much weight, but knowing the rods are safe. I carry 6 rods per bag, combination of light on the outside and medium in the middle.
don't your jigs and or hooks get stuck on tubing?
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:48 PM »
Striker ice makes a nice one!
[/quote

X2
Come on fish!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:53 PM »
Got the striker ice this year and sold it right away. Wanted it for run and gun and wasn't long enough for two of my rods and the storage compartment didn't fit my tip-ups.

Offline superstockbigblock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:32 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I have one ordered.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:01 AM »
I have the frabill hardside and have no issues whatsoever.. it holds em in nice, and i keep 5 rods in mine..

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:03 AM »
Started using the Striker Ice Transporter this year.  Holds (5) rods in individual plastic tubes and all of mine are under 30" so it's working for my needs in that respect.  My Beaver Dam tip ups fit in the center section along with my ice scoops, but if you use the Heritage Lakers or Jacktraps it would be a problem.  Has the ability to hold smaller gear, i.e. jig boxes, hand warmers, gloves, etc. in the four outside pockets.  Comes with a shoulder strap that kept pulling apart at the swivels, but so far wedging a piece of toothpick into the snap connector has remedied that for the time being.  I was looking for a rig that I could use to haul pretty much the basics I would need when invited to fish with friends who are already bringing the shanty, auger, heater, and so on.  Doing what I wanted it to do so far, we'll see how it holds up.

Offline FISH4WISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:54 AM »
Great Idea Quackpot! ;) ;)

F4W

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:02 AM »
Sly I have had a problem this year. It’s the first year trying this idea. Those tubes have a mark where you split them to put them around pipes. If center hole isn’t large enough just cut part way down.

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2018, 10:27 AM »
I have 7 in my Plano case. It's tight but I also have them in there in a way they aren't laying over each other.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:35 AM »
don't your jigs and or hooks get stuck on tubing?

The pipe insulation tubing can be slit cut, jigs/hooks won't necessarily get stuck on the tubing if care is taken into it.

I used to do this and tossed my tubed combo into a Contico Pro Tuff storage locker : 35x14x15

tossed my rod holders and other stuff all into it too.  Storage locker made a seat or make shift table top for things as it has designated drink placement.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:47 AM »
http://www.icefishinginnovations.com/#2858

I have this case would be easy to make your own
The case under the rods sits up too high for me so I cut the foam to remedy the problem

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:04 PM »
My Eagle Claw hard case works for me. I have six combos, two plano boxes, four jig boxes and quite a few accessories in it such as my AquaVu tripod, fillet knives, etc.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:17 PM »
http://www.icefishinginnovations.com/#2858

I have this case would be easy to make your own
The case under the rods sits up too high for me so I cut the foam to remedy the problem

Any idea how heavy this case is?

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:24 PM »
My Eagle Claw hard case works for me. I have six combos, two plano boxes, four jig boxes and quite a few accessories in it such as my AquaVu tripod, fillet knives, etc.
could you shoot me a pic, I can only seem to fit 4 combos in mine.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2018, 01:32 PM »
Sorry, can't do the pics, but I have three pointing toward each end. Five have spinning reels and one is an inline. I folded the handles on the spinning reels. I have four 24" rods and two 28" rods in it. It was just a matter of moving the foam inserts so everything fit. I have a Plano 500 box in each end and also four smaller jig boxes in one end.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:15 PM »
Eagle Claw Ice Rod Case

Six rods

Offline havejigwilltravel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:00 PM »
had softsides. got broken tips. got a frabill hardside. it's bulky.  more to carry. but i can carry 5 jig rods. no problem.

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:12 PM »
I use the Otter Sportsman Case.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:36 PM »
What about a skb bow or gun case  or even a  lakewood products bow or gun case?? These are more protective and longer then most ice rod cases and will except longer rods my suggestion is to make your own foam inserts for them though.. or wood inserts that separate your rods.. maybe felt lined wood or foam wrapped wood dividers? Up to you?

I think the problem lies with corpare companies thinking we all use short rods to ice fish with.. when we don't use short rods..  go figure..

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:41 PM »
Eagle Claw Ice Rod Case

Six rods
[/quotethanks, I think my problem is the CGI reel take up more space on the sides.]

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:48 PM »
I got a Otter Sportsman rod case and that thing will easily fit 8 rods and my tackle cases.... however it is a little big

I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering the Scheel's hardside. 
https://www.scheels.com/p/scheels-outfitters-hardside-ice-combo-locker/42300020161.html?cgid=ice-fishing#sz=60&start=15

It's pricey, but I've broken three rods already this year, one by sitting and catching the tip with the bibs from my leg and two by transporting everything packed together over ice a little rough.   Maybe I need a tank instead. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:54 PM »

Eagle Claw Ice Rod Case

Will hold up to 6 fully deployed combo's, depends on arrangement.  It's easy with 4 deployed.  Two will either need to be collapsed or have on opposite side cranks, because handle hit's side wall.  Or you will have to offset rod arrangement like two rods have extended rear grips.  So you will be able to have those two with the reel up further.  Again the rods with reel handle fully deployed will tilt against wall of case.

Obviously some of my rods have handles collapsed.  It's tight with fully deployed handles and that makes removing them almost like delicate surgery.  Almost a requirement to remove in reverse order of storage placement.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:04 PM »
I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering the Scheel's hardside. 
https://www.scheels.com/p/scheels-outfitters-hardside-ice-combo-locker/42300020161.html?cgid=ice-fishing#sz=60&start=15

It's pricey, but I've broken three rods already this year, one by sitting and catching the tip with the bibs from my leg and two by transporting everything packed together over ice a little rough.   Maybe I need a tank instead.
would love to see the inside of that one

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:12 PM »
I ordered the 42” all weather AR-15 case from Plano. I run longer rods, up to 40”. Won’t fit in the otter. I can get 5 comfortably in it, flat though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.