New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Heater exploded in Hut  (Read 7579 times)

Offline SouthPaw

• IceShanty Rookie
Heater exploded in Hut
« on: Jan 03, 2018, 12:53 PM »
Anyone ever experience an explosion from a Mr.Heater Big Buddy? We were fishing last night and went to replace a 1 pound tank. Unit was still hot as it just ran out of propane. It was leaking as we were threading it on. Poof one immediate fire ball inside our hut. My friend and I are so lucky to only have some singed facial hair. After we got our thoughts together and looked around us our 5 gallon minnow bucket flipped over and every fishing pole had broken/burnt line. We truly escaped serious burns. I am scared to death of firing it back up. Just wondering if anyone has ever had a similar issue. Moving forward I will never replace the tanks inside the hut.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Heater exploded in Hut
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:04 PM »
Wow, glad no one was hurt.  I've never had a flare up with a buddy heater when changing bottles, but I'll be a little more careful from now on.  The only time I had a problem was when I was cleaning it with a can of air.  Pressed the igniter too soon after spraying and the propellant ignited, leaving me with scorched eyebrows and lungs.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:08 PM »
 i  usually let mine  cool  before  i  screw a  new tank on  ...never had a  problem

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:10 PM »
I've never had that particular problem; but, just yesterday when I was threading a new bottle on, it sprayed all over me and gave me frostbite on my hands.  I can see how that situation could have been much, much worse with fire involved.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:11 PM »
i  usually let mine  cool  before  i  screw a  new tank on  ...never had a  problem

X2. Kind of like pouring gasoline into a tank of a hot lawnmower. You can usually get away with it but it's not advised.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:14 PM »
Always let unit cool down and go outside of enclosed area to put new tank on.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:17 PM »

I haven't but will now.  I usually get the first thread going and then screw it very quickly so there is minimal leakage.  Chances are the old bottles pin got stuck open, leaked, and then when you fired the heater up again it flashed.  Ive seen those pins stick a number of times.  I always toss the old bottle outside for that reason.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:18 PM »
Curious, was it a new tank or a refilled tank that exploded?

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2018, 02:21 PM »
Wow, that's scary. Was the valve shut off? There should have been no flame if the tank was empty, I wonder what sparked the propane?
I think we will take our heater outside the change the tank from now on!

Offline coast51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2018, 02:31 PM »
Glad you guys were not injured worse then a few singed hairs, thanks for posting this as now I will know to let it cool down a little and change it outside of the shanty. Tight lines  :

Offline JneedsNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:22 PM »
thanks for posting your experience; you might be saving us all some facial hair. you should definitely contact the manufacturer if just to tell them your experience so it maybe testing/warnings can be published on the instructions at least.

Offline liquidonyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:36 PM »
X2...thanks for sharing your mishap! I’ll learn from your misfortune and heed the advice give from our peers.

Glad you guys were not injured worse then a few singed hairs, thanks for posting this as now I will know to let it cool down a little and change it outside of the shanty. Tight lines  :

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:39 PM »

X2
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:49 PM »
maybe testing/warnings can be published on the instructions at least.

I'd bet a six pack they already say something in the instructions...

Although I don't have mine nor did I read them lol..

<°)))>{

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:58 PM »
I use the hose adapter and a 5 lb tank to avoid having to deal with this type of thing. Glad your ok
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:10 PM »
Yo southpaw,

I guess by your explanation, you now realize, letting the unit cool down prior to screwing the new fuel cell back in is a prudent thing to do. Sometimes, we learn things simply, sometimes not. Thank the Lord, while you have learned this lesson without extreme physical injury, I am sure you will not repeat that mistake again. Good news, hopefully some newby reading of your situation will not make the same error. All in all , Thank God you and your friend will survive to tell this story to your friends and others. Stay safe out there

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline JneedsNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:10 PM »
I'd bet a six pack they already say something in the instructions...

Although I don't have mine nor did I read them lol..

<°)))>{

more than likely accurate, but neither did i :X

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:23 PM »
WARNINGWARNING
: Always inspect propane cylinder and heater propane connections for damage, dirt, and debris before attaching propane cylinder. Do not use if head of cylinder is damaged, punctured or deteriorated.
ALWAYS ATTACH OR DETACH CYLINDER OUTDOORS AWAY FROM FLAMES, OTHER IGNITION SOURCES, AND ONLY WHEN HEATER IS COOL TO TOUCH. NEVER SMOKE WHEN ATTACHING OR REMOVING PROPANE CYLINDER OR MAKING REMOTE CONNECTIONS!

page  e3  of the  operation  instructions

https://www.campingworld.com/includes/productSpecs/Mr%20Heater%20Big%20Buddy%20Heater%20-%20Canada%20Only%20Manual.pdf

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:32 PM »
X2

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:32 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Just went thru 2 tanks today but I'll be more aware next time out.

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:34 PM »
My sunflower heater/ cooker did me dirty this past weekend. Almost caught my clam 1 man thermal flip over on fire. Luckily I flipped my shack open right away and gave it the boot.... I tried shutting the regulator to the off position and the gas was still pouring out... it eventually stopped but man it had my heart racing. Why am I hearing so many stories of these heaters failing lately? I mean I know its been super cold but these things are made to run in the cold! I want to buy a Big Mr. buddy heater but after reading this im about to just say the hell with it and fish without it. Thickens your skin a bit! haha ;D

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:42 PM »
We were fishing last night and went to replace a 1 pound tank. Unit was still hot as it just ran out of propane. It was leaking as we were threading it on. Poof one immediate fire ball inside our hut.

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt!  You could have been up for a Darwin Award on that one....

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:48 PM »
I had a buddy heater flair up after putting on a refilled Walmart tank...I guess I overfilled it...I was in my workshop when I lit it...I went back to work and then heard a pop...turned around to see flames coming from the heater...I quickly grabbed it, opened the door and threw it outside...Whew, I thought it was going to blow up!!
It went out quickly and I broke the plastic end of the heater and the top handle when it hit the ground...The handle wouldn't stay in the end that was broken...
I looked all over the internet and found out that that design or style wasn't available anymore...I trashed it and will NEVER refill aftermarket bottles again... :cookoo:

Offline Bear Lake Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:57 PM »
thanks for posting your experience; you might be saving us all some facial hair. you should definitely contact the manufacturer if just to tell them your experience so it maybe testing/warnings can be published on the instructions at least.

I loked your response about contacting the heater manufacturer as a important measure to get their opinion I learned an important safety practice, that is never fuel up propane in a ice hut for any reason!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:18 PM »
WARNINGWARNING
: Always inspect propane cylinder and heater propane connections for damage, dirt, and debris before attaching propane cylinder. Do not use if head of cylinder is damaged, punctured or deteriorated.
ALWAYS ATTACH OR DETACH CYLINDER OUTDOORS AWAY FROM FLAMES, OTHER IGNITION SOURCES, AND ONLY WHEN HEATER IS COOL TO TOUCH. NEVER SMOKE WHEN ATTACHING OR REMOVING PROPANE CYLINDER OR MAKING REMOTE CONNECTIONS!

https://www.campingworld.com/includes/productSpecs/Mr%20Heater%20Big%20Buddy%20Heater%20-%20Canada%20Only%20Manual.pdf

My philosophy has always been read instructions as a last resort!  ;D
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2018, 09:11 PM »
Maybe you had the gas still on. This almost happened to me the other day. My buddy heater ran out of gas. I didn't replace the tank until I got home. Before I threaded on the new tank, I notice the knob was still in the low position.

Offline TeamWalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2018, 09:13 PM »
2years ago on a minus 5 degree day on Oneida, we were setting up the shanty and I lit Mr Buddy. Turned away to grab gear and noticed flames shooting out near the valve. Lifted the Frabill quickly and gave Mr B the boot. Foolishly Vansmak and I threw coffee on the fire and scooped water from our hole on the screeming blaze. Eventually the fire burned out. Meanwhile Mooneye61 caught 2 keepers 20 feet away as he laughed at our 3 Stooges imitation. Luckily no one was hurt. Mr Buddy was good though. Called and they sent me a new one. Just had to send back the melted remains.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2018, 09:20 PM »
Good to post thing that happen like that .thank god ur all ok..everyone takes heater buddies as fool proof including myself .ya never think of taking your time until its to late..ill keep an eye on mine now also...

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2018, 09:28 PM »
WARNINGWARNING

Translation: This was written by our lawyers and if you blow yourself up we are not liable. Have a nice day!
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2018, 09:33 PM »
A reminder too all,sometimes we forget .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.