The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Presque isle bay  (Read 5605 times)

Offline Zap

• IceShanty Rookie
Presque isle bay
« on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:01 PM »
Is anyone fishing the city side yet ?
Ice thickness on the City side ?
Also, are all the parking lots cleared on the city side ? In particular the lots near the ampitheater area ?

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Presque isle bay
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:57 PM »
I just got this report

Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline Zap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:01 PM »
I was concerned that all the snow may be insulating the ice from forming. It does not sound safe .

Offline Tom7541

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2018, 11:53 AM »
I here they have been on misery herd 8 inches anyone know for sure also has anyone ever caught walleyy thru the ice in the bay

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2018, 12:08 PM »
 A stray walleye has been caught in the bay......maybe hear of 1 a year. The bay is not a good walleye location, and they are very hard to come by even in the summer period. A few do get taken in the channel. I however, in 20 years, have never personally seen a walleye come through the ice in PIB. I know a lot of people (and groups) who ice fish PIB.....not one of them ever caught a walleye. However, everyone "knows" a guy who has.....but they, of course, were not there to witness it.

The bay is good to go, most everywhere for the most part. I would stay away from the channel, unless you can sneak up towards the drop off without actually entering the channel.

You are more likely to get a pellethead....

However, some might argue.......but I would have to see the proof. Kinda like everyone knows a "guy" who has seen 5 feet between the water and the ice on Kinzu (or was it 10 feet) !
It's not about the fish.................. .

Offline Taildancing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2018, 02:48 PM »
There has been walleye reports coming from stinkhole area. The report is from a reputable bait shop.  Don’t believe they are targeting them but it does happen.  Back in the late 80’s I caught a lot of walleye in the bay especially drifting in spring for them in front of the yacht club. With the population of walleyes at a high, I’m sure there are some roaming around out there.

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2018, 03:00 PM »
I have no doubt you get them in the spring....would not question that at all. I would question them in PIB through the ice in any real numbers. Its like the guy that said he got a burbot in misery.....I highly doubt it.

The sand bottom....lack of any flow...and dwindeling oxygen would make me doubt the secret walleye bite in the bay. The migration pattern does not add up. Even the resident few walleye in the eastern basin would not tolerate the conditions.

As i said....no doubt you have a chance by the channel. A slim chance.

What bait shop ??

Offline Tom7541

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2018, 03:45 PM »
That's what I thought never heard of anyone getting them there. Just wanted to confirm that for my cousin who wants to come all the way up from Pittsburgh to walley fish I told him Western basin this time of year.

Offline Tom7541

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2018, 03:45 PM »
That's what I thought never heard of anyone getting them there. Just wanted to confirm that for my cousin who wants to come all the way up from Pittsburgh to walley fish I told him Western basin this time of year.

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2018, 05:05 PM »
Not sure how the ice is west. I got word a few guides have been out with small parties....but staying in close.

PIB would not be a great place to come expecting a walleye. Steelhead are better to target or pike if you want chances. Set up by the mouth of the marina. There is a hole there. Goes from 12 or so feet out to the 3 to 4 foot shallow flat. I think it is south side of the entrance to the marina bay. I do know the ice condtion there today. Set up tippers with live minnows in 3 foot depth changes. Or. Jig in a shanty with bright colored jigs. If you can tip a flashy jig with a lively minnow....do so. However....tip ups in that part of the highway of PIB are hard to beat.

Offline 59tony

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2018, 06:11 PM »
So is there good ice on PIB?  Wanna try n get up there Sunday.....

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:04 PM »
I should never say "good ice". The shoreline in PIB has held up. Marina bay was OK, guys out. Horseshoe was Ok..... Misery was OK, guys out. I saw guys off the boat club in the bay. I can not tell you it is OK. Spud and be safe. I hear the area by the monument is sketchy (as always), as well as off Chestnut. With the snow there, go where the people are, and spud.

There is snow on the top. It hides the black and white. I did not venture out to the marina mouth yesterday....be careful and spud.

Did I say "spud" enough ? Ice is funny this year with the amount of snow, thaw and freeze in Erie this year.

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:07 PM »
but, yes....if you wanted to hit the bay and be safe in Misery bay.....you would be OK. You will see how far out the guys are. I plan on hitting a sketchy Conneaut lake in the AM (float suit, life jacket and picks in hand)...if you get out let the guys know how you did at PIB.

Offline Slabslayer17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2018, 05:13 PM »
Fished today ended with 47 keeper perch and a bonus 30+ inch eye! I know of 2 eyes caught there today. Perch are on fire but have to catch 10 dinks to get one keeper. Ice was 13 inches

Offline Tim McKinnis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:55 PM »
 :tipup:
I fished the bay in front of pump station on the bay front limit out 4 wheelers on ice I had 8 good inch ice saw 2 walleyes on my camera

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2018, 02:54 AM »
BAM that just happened ;) ;) ;)

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2018, 06:00 AM »
200+ people on the ice today.....a couple sporadic walleye caught. Wow, the bite is hot this year.  From the picture, the more I look at it.......it is taken from the city side, facing PIB......facing North. Although I have a hunch he is further West towards the convention center or beyond. However, that would be fishing in the channel, which I have no doubt produces a few walleye a year (being they frequently catch them off the north and south piers).

Are the walleye up to Misery bay yet ?

Offline 2Catcheyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2018, 09:41 AM »
How much snow on the ice in Presque?

Offline 2Catcheyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2018, 09:54 AM »
Also, who has bait?

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:11 AM »
Poor Richard's,Fairview. Presque isle angler state st Erie side.

Offline fishfever12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2018, 01:49 PM »
Not much snow...Will need your ice spikes to venture out this week..or risk slipping

Offline Slabslayer17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2018, 02:35 PM »
I caught it straight out from chestnut on one of the humps

Offline IceFitter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2018, 03:41 PM »
200+ people on the ice today.....a couple sporadic walleye caught. Wow, the bite is hot this year.  From the picture, the more I look at it.......it is taken from the city side, facing PIB......facing North. Although I have a hunch he is further West towards the convention center or beyond. However, that would be fishing in the channel, which I have no doubt produces a few walleye a year (being they frequently catch them off the north and south piers).

Are the walleye up to Misery bay yet ?

What’s the problem? Are you scared that your walleye spot is going to be burned? This site is for sharing information.

Please take the fishusa forums attitude elsewhere.

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:41 AM »
What’s the problem? Are you scared that your walleye spot is going to be burned? This site is for sharing information.

Please take the fishusa forums attitude elsewhere.

You are right, I have spend 20 years trying to protect the native population of walleye in PIB. Cat is out of the bag. I can't hide it anymore......your just too good. If anyone wants to drive 3 hours each way in hopes of filling a bucket with walleye, now is the time. I hear they are upgrading to 10 gallon buckets to haul their catch off the ice. I think a guy might have went through the ice due to the weight of walleye he was carrying (not sure, but a reputable bait shop posted it the Facebook).

I was going to start up a new club "SONWPIPIB" (Save Our Native Walleye Population in Presque Isle Bay), but I will have to wait a few years and let this calm down. There goes my tax deduction.

As you can see from my many fishing and ice reports, I do love to hold onto information about the fishing. I just have a problem sharing with people. Sometimes I wish I was born a millennial.....but would be afraid I would melt with this warm-up.   

BTW - Nope, not going anywhere.   

Offline Orangeman89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:22 AM »
Hi folks,
Took our first trip to pib on Sunday.  We measured around 13 inches of ice.  Went off Chestnut.  Didn't do real well until we decided to move close to a cluster of shacks.  We ended up in 24 feet of water.  Had about an hour of really nice action then wind got bad and we packed up for 3 hour drive home.  Hope ice stays as I loved it there.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:39 AM »
So to sum it up Erie has between 8-13" of ice ,there are no walleye ,and if you get close to guys fishing you catch fish. ;D

Offline Pullinslabs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:56 AM »
No, no, no. You got it all wrong. There are walleye in the bay, just not enough to make it worth targeting them.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:31 AM »
my bad

Chute82

« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:54 PM »
One thing the Erie boys never talk about is the sturgeon bite and paddle fish bite in mid feb. need to fish long pond on PI..good luck

Offline IceFitter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:20 PM »
It looks like the prime walleye grounds will be inaccessible starting tomorrow. A couple larger vessels and an ice breaker will be coming through starting in the morning.

See, no fishusa attitude here

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.