The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Keeping Holes Open.  (Read 6606 times)

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Keeping Holes Open.
« on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:04 PM »
For tip-up ppl, How do you keep your holes open in sub-zero weather? Any environmentally friendly ways? Salt kinda jacks my stuff up
"Nice bass thumb, wanna see my pickerel d!ck?"

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Keeping Holes Open.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:05 PM »
Snow in hole , don’t freeze near as fast

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:21 PM »
Some tip-ups(most?) have the reel and line submerged.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:32 PM »
Ya think? Anyways... Back on track, any other ideas?

You're welcome, smartass!!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:36 PM »
If u keep hole scooped out , solid ice will form, with the snow it’s slushy ice easy to break with scoop or hand

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:40 PM »
Also in shallower water, keeps light from getting down, don’t know if makes difference but I always did it

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "the Green Hornet strikes again!!!"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:46 PM »
Insulated tip UPS or hole covers!

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:51 PM »
I keep some slush in the hole and use a hole cover. Sometimes I build a small snow wall upwind from my tipup. Just not to high so I can't see the flag when up. I put out markers with reflector tape so my Tip-ups don't get run over day or night.

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:00 PM »
 2nd the hole covers.... If it's not brutally cold and sunny float a couple of black painted ping pong balls in the hole.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline icecoldchrome

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:21 PM »
I made a set of hole covers out of 1/2 inch blue board insolation with a slot cut in them works pretty good  on super cold days I'll take a hand warmer to the bottom side of it I must admit it's crude but it's stupid simple and works well

Offline XhardwaterX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:29 PM »
I made a set of hole covers out of 1/2 inch blue board insolation with a slot cut in them works pretty good  on super cold days I'll take a hand warmer to the bottom side of it I must admit it's crude but it's stupid simple and works well
That's what I did.. found some sheets of black foam insulation an cut a bunch out an keyholed them, works great.

Offline Lawrence88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:49 PM »
I'd like to see ethanol tried out.  It's less dense than water, so it might stay at the top of the hole better than salted water (which is more dense).  But the biochemistry has me concerned: every fish you ice is going to get literally sterilized.  Can't be good for the microfauna.  And though I'm not one, I can hear the finger-waggers winding up already. 

What about water spitters?
"Gol-dang! If thet ain't about the worst ice-fishin' hole Ah ever seed! Looks like a giant funnel!"  

-   Rancid Crabtree

Offline Lawrence88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2017, 03:06 PM »
I was hoping to ally myself with you against the unreasonable people out there (I generally have appreciated your taking them to task in the past), but alas, I find myself chased.  Very well - round on you!  But the olive branch is still extended, any time you want it. 

Remember that the ethanol is less dense than water, so it will form a thin layer at the top of the hole.  Any amount of ethanol significant enough to prevent freezing at the temps we're talking about must be enough to coat the top of the hole, and thus will be enough to coat at least part of any fish that comes through that hole.  Not sure how you get around that. 

Ethanol contacting a fish has at least a decent shot at killing bacteria, fungi, and other microbes on the fish's skin, and that's bad news.  As you may know, antibiotic treatments in both humans and animals can have numerous side effects, including making biological room for pathogens.  As we've increasingly come to understand, the communities of microorganisms that allow plants and animals to thrive are complex, fragile, and not comprehensively understood by people. 

One small uncertainty I should concede is that fish also have mucous coating.  I do not know whether that would protect their microfauna (in whole or in part) from the ethanol, or for that matter, whether the ethanol might also damage the mucous (the same reason, by the way, that you should never handle a fish with a towel). 

There - that's my argument.  Make a reasonable response, I dare you.     ;D
"Gol-dang! If thet ain't about the worst ice-fishin' hole Ah ever seed! Looks like a giant funnel!"  

-   Rancid Crabtree

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2017, 03:10 PM »
If using ethanol at a ten % solution, the freezing point is lowered to 25 degrees.

If you use an 8 inch hole, and theoretically could contain all the ethanol to the top one inch of the hole, it would require 81 milliliters to reach a 10 percent solution. Far more that a “capfull” to reach a desired result.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2017, 03:39 PM »
Finding any additive (environmentally friendly or not) that would keep a hole from freezing will be a tough proposition, short of using something like, say, motor oil. And really, the oil (any oil even if it was perfectly safe) is just a joke, anything like that would just be way too messy on all your stuff.

As far as propylene glycol (not to be confused with its highly toxic cousin ethylene glycol), would be a sort of friendly, non-toxic (unless you're drinking it by the cupful) additive. If you're into reading food labels you can often find it listed there. Yep, fish are smaller than us wouldn't be as tolerant of high concentrations but nevertheless.

Water and alcohol mix so easily simply the act of placing your tipup in the hole, taking it out or a good breeze would be enough to reduce it's effectiveness. You would certainly need alot more than a capful. Personally I rather drink the ethanol and tend the holes but that's just me.  ;)

A mechanical solution was recently proposed here by a guy that was using an aquarium pump on a bubble stone. Yep, it would cost in batteries but could be even more effective if you tossed it into a little six pack cooler with a hand warmer to pump warm air. I actually kinda liked that. Go a little further and see if you can power it by adapting one of those rechargeable solar light setups. Take the photocell out of the circuit and just make it on/off.

I've heard this batted about a number of times with no real breakthrough. I'm gonna keep an eye on this just in case something novel presents. You never know.

Good luck with the quest.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2017, 04:14 PM »
Propylene glycol has a specific density of 1.04. It is heavier than water. 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:34 PM »

I do this, and saves a lot of explaining and possibly money if a fish warden sees you doing that.  It might be harmless but they might not see it that way.

Offline Lawrence88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:11 PM »
What about containing a slow exothermic reaction in something that floats in the hole?  I would say handwarmers, but anything watertight will starve them of oxygen and stop the reaction.  Any other sources of slow heat?

-   Rancid Crabtree

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:37 PM »
armaflex ins its black easy to carry easy to store works wonders in extreme cold weather covers the hole keeps it from frezzing ;D

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "the Green Hornet strikes again!!!"
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2017, 09:51 PM »
I have also seen a post on fb about a soup can weighted to float upright in a hole with a piece of charcoal

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2017, 10:52 PM »

Offline Ice.rat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2018, 02:45 AM »
I have found that the 1/2 inch black foam covers made by different manufactures works well with tip-ups had to modify the center hole when I use it with a jigging rod.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:30 AM »
I've found that scraping the ice off the hole while jigging is much better for keeping the hole open in general than pulling a fish I intend to eat or release up through a hole that is coated with chemicals. Personally, I wouldn't even consider putting a chemical in the water like that.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:42 AM »
I have also seen a post on fb about a soup can weighted to float upright in a hole with a piece of charcoal

That’s a great idea! Think I will try it today.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2018, 01:54 PM »
CAUTION
introducing any chemical to a water source would probably  earm you a sizeable fine and possibly court costs

Offline charger7022

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2018, 03:27 PM »
how about attaching a baby bubbles from Walmart to you tip ups. just drop it in the hole to keep things moving. I may give this a shot!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2018, 03:45 PM »
I still like the black ping pong ball idea too. Low tech and I'll bet surprisingly effective. Motion and heat exchange in a snag-proof package. I'm going to try this one out. What, a coupla bucks in balls and paint? How can I lose?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2018, 04:09 PM »
guys are over thinking it. black ping pong are a good idea, and insulated covers are great but even yesterday when it 5° i went around once a hour to check bait and scoup out the holes. really wasnt a big deal. yes its great when you dont have clear the holes but you should be checking your bait at least once in hour, 1st to make sure they didnt wiggle off, 2 the picking them up and dropping them wakes them up and attracts the gamefish

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Go to 5 below...  It's like a fancy dollar store. In the back there's usually a section with some work out excercize stuff...  There u will see foam puzzle piece mats for floor padding... Buy a few for 3 bucks a pop n cut holes two inches bigger than your auger. Mines 8" so I cut 10" dia. Then cut a line to center and another so it makes a small "T" just like the ones sold for 10 bucks online. Works like a charm. Fished all day Saturday n never cleared a hole once with snow and wind blowing all day...  Even when they're completely covered your good...  Maybe even better BC of extra insulation.

Y'all catchin?

Chute82

« Reply #29 on: Jan 01, 2018, 06:03 PM »
would t  buying the round insulated tip ups solve your problem without carrying around chemicals or other stuff...beaverdam,HT , Frabill all make them

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.