Author Topic: What size bluegill would you mount?  (Read 5065 times)

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What size bluegill would you mount?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2018, 09:47 PM »
Beasts! :clap:

Thanks bud.  Few years back n like I said private ponds I didn't fish for years.   Unfortunately weeds choked it all out n all that's left is small fry.  Had some record size crappie I lost 2

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 04, 2018, 05:47 AM »
Here are my green sunfish and bluegill caught a few years ago.  Both are over 14in.  But 10+ is probably a good mount. Both were caught in private ponds tho.....

Nice fish! But the state record BG was only 13.5” long.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:03 AM »
If you have the money mount more than one. Makes for a nicer mount in my opinion. For me a nice picture for the wall and into the frying pan. Replicas are just an expensive piece of plastic. Go to walmart and buy one and call it the fish that looks a lot like the fish you caught. Also as others have stated be sure you have a blue gil and not a red ear, green, hybrid. A 11in in any of the last three are not uncommon. I cant tell you how many times I've seen 12- 13 and even 14 in gils that turn out to be red ears.  To a lot of fishermen that don't catch a lot of those everything is a gil.

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:39 AM »
If your fishing natural lakes, you may never see another one that size. I let go an 11 1/2" true gill many years ago and now I regret it.

Offline panfishpopper85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 04, 2018, 05:47 PM »
1lb  bluegill is a mount...caught serveral over 10in...buddy caught 11.5in 1.57lb true bluegill public lake...my biggest is 10.5 at 1.04lb..biggest redear is 13in 1lb 10.5oz ive never seen one 13in out of a public lake in Indiana..id go off weight for bluegills caught serveral i was for sure were a lb and were only 13 or 14.5 oz..last pic is one bluegill that looks huge but wasn't a pounder.all are from the same public lake...got to love catching big bluegills what a time!!

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:36 PM »

Can't go for state record from private ponds and I'm not one to cheat the system for all the lake fisherman

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2018, 07:59 PM »
Can't go for state record from private ponds and I'm not one to cheat the system for all the lake fisherman

That is incorrect. Fish from private ponds are eligible for record status provided they are not on a feeding program. I mention the state record bluegill size for comparison. A 14 inch bluegill is a pretty outrageous claim.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:07 PM »
My Dad would say, "Catch and release..."
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:08 PM »
"INTO THE GREASE!!" What did I teach you boy??

My Dad, god bless him.  ;)
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:11 PM »
That is incorrect. Fish from private ponds are eligible for record status provided they are not on a feeding program. I mention the state record bluegill size for comparison. A 14 inch bluegill is a pretty outrageous claim.

Wow did not know that.  Thought it was always public lakes only lol.  Sweet I better get to cleaning and restocking my ponds n growing some record fish. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.