Author Topic: West hill  (Read 3293 times)

Offline Pondguy

• IceShanty Rookie
West hill
« on: Dec 29, 2017, 10:45 PM »
I’ve crept on this sight for a few years... finally figured out how to post maybe. Hit west hill today. Ice is 3” windowpane clear. 2 areas of open water are still making waves over by Brodie Park. Info I’ve found here the last few years has been useful, thought I’d give some back. Btw I’ve crept on the ice a lot longer than I have the internet. Be safe and lots of flags
Kids who Hunt, Fish and trap. Don’t mug old ladies.

Offline ctice84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: West hill
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:20 AM »
Thanks of the update.i checked it out last Sunday and it was all open water and looked more like a small ocean with waves and white caps.nice to hear it’s made progress.cant believe there’s still open water near Brodie park with all this cold weather.west hill is a crazy place

Offline Schug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:31 PM »
Has anyone checked it today? Any fish getting pulled out of west hill?

Offline infamusc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hard water fanatic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2017, 03:33 PM »
Spoke with a man today who said it's still not ready.

Offline Schug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2018, 01:43 PM »
Anyone got new info on west hill I really wanna get some trout through the ice

Offline Pondguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2018, 01:47 PM »
Hit west hill again before storm, ice built up since my last trip. Solid 6 inches on boat launch end. My buddy and I iced some browns and chased slime dart flags for most of the morning. Non productive afternoon though

Offline Schug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2018, 01:49 PM »
Hit west hill again before storm, ice built up since my last trip. Solid 6 inches on boat launch end. My buddy and I iced some browns and chased slime dart flags for most of the morning. Non productive afternoon though

Pondguy were you fishing from the public launch? How deep were you fishing?

Offline Pondguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2018, 02:12 PM »
Off public launch, near Boy Scout camp. Fished shore to about 12’ deep.
Some guys in deeper Water seemed to of had a better day than we did

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2018, 02:19 PM »
thanks for the report and welcome!

Offline Schug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2018, 02:21 PM »
Off public launch, near Boy Scout camp. Fished shore to about 12’ deep.
Some guys in deeper Water seemed to of had a better day than we did

I thought the public launch was far from the Boy Scout camp what’s that road that leads you to the public launch? Did you guys walk straight across the pond?

Offline Pondguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2018, 02:24 PM »
The launch by the general store, I think it’s Perkins rd. Then we hoofed it across, not a long walk

Offline Icefishct54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:58 PM »
I was out there Day before the storm off the beach near the public launch. Only iced 1 brown,small largemouth and a dozen tiny pickerel. Missed some flags too. Bite slowed down toward the afternoon. Heading out there tomorrow morning

Offline Schug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:08 PM »
I've been really wanting to ice some trout, Just picked up my license today. Does anyone know whwats going on with the trout stamp? how does it work? Does it matter in right now?

Offline Pondguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Good luck today ct54. I might be back there Tuesday. As far as the trout stamps... right now follow old rules. By the end of the month trout stamps should be in action. Looks like it’s $5 to add to the license, another way for ct to tax us. Sounds like it will be an add on to the license and not a physical stamp. Needed to fish any trout waters stocked by ct

Offline Granby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Made a quick stop at TAGS in Plainville for some bait and made a B-line out to West Hill. Fished for a short time after work, missed a flag but it was great to get out! Weather was near perfect for me. Ice was a measured 9 inches about 150 yards straight away from the state boat launch.

Offline Schug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:03 PM »
Made a quick stop at TAGS in Plainville for some bait and made a B-line out to West Hill. Fished for a short time after work, missed a flag but it was great to get out! Weather was near perfect for me. Ice was a measured 9 inches about 150 yards straight away from the state boat launch.

There’s a closer place in thomaston that’s open 6 am on route 6 on my way to any fishing spot in north west CT.  sanzeris bait and locksmith they sell licenses there too good spot got a decent selection of live baits suckers and piles and minnows 3 sizes plus others I don’t  remember

Offline jdpsm3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:20 AM »
Has anyone seen what the ice looks like near Brodie park?  We usually fish down that end but have not been able to the past couple years due do crappy ice conditions.  I don’t think west hill even locked up the past 2 seasons.  Looking to get out for some trout on Sunday.

Offline Icefishct54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:34 AM »
Has anyone seen what the ice looks like near Brodie park?  We usually fish down that end but have not been able to the past couple years due do crappy ice conditions.  I don’t think west hill even locked up the past 2 seasons.  Looking to get out for some trout on Sunday.
as of last weekend the whole lake looked locked up and I saw snowmobile tracks across the whole lake (doesn’t really mean anything) but I was fishing 200yards out from boat launch with around 7in

Offline Icefishct54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Hit west hill today left of the boat launch. Iced 1 nice rainbow and one nice brown both around 16-17in. Caught a bunch of pickerel. Anyone else noticing an infestation of pickerel there?

Offline Schug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2018, 07:47 PM »
I really would like some trout what depth are thes fish at right now?

Offline James W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:26 AM »
Looking to hit West Hill this weekend, think it will be safe with the warm temps were expecting? Any advice on where to fish there would be appreciated, first time trying it out. Thanks

Offline readyforsomeice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:11 AM »
Hit west hill today left of the boat launch. Iced 1 nice rainbow and one nice brown both around 16-17in. Caught a bunch of pickerel. Anyone else noticing an infestation of pickerel there?

Nice trout! I have found that if you fish near/in the weeds you will hit a lot of small pickerel aka hammer handles.

Offline Schug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:06 PM »
Whos got the ice report on west hill?

Offline jdpsm3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:03 PM »
Fished Sunday 7-2 had some good action in the morning 3 trout and my friend pulled a nice salmon.  After 11ish the action stopped.  Solid 9-11 inches of ice whole lake is locked up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.