Author Topic: Tricking out the FX100  (Read 2301 times)

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tricking out the FX100
« on: Dec 23, 2017, 08:16 AM »
I'm adding individual storage compartments for gear. Using 1/4" plywood. Estimated add weight should only be 10 -12 pounds with bracing and hardware. I'm sort of making a hardwater bass boat!

Started by adding snow ski's to bottom, and attached with flat head bolts. Bolts are holding ski's and the bottom board I cut for the tub floor.

Next I cut a pattern for the top board. Cutouts for 5# propane tank, Buddy Heater, rod locker, spare flasher battery, and general storage for flasher and other gear. I don't have the battery cutout as of this picture.

Work suspended do to holidays.  Will post more as I go. Looks like I better hurry! Ice is on the way!

May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Tricking out the FX100
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2017, 12:14 PM »
did you counter sink the bolts on the skis? or use carriage bolts?
how does the skis bend the bottom of the tub? did you add spacers to keep that from happening? or did you use x country skis?

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2017, 12:25 PM »
did you counter sink the bolts on the skis? or use carriage bolts?
how does the skis bend the bottom of the tub? did you add spacers to keep that from happening? or did you use x country skis?

I found a bolt at Lowe's that has large flat head. About the size of a 50cent piece, and slightly thinner. Countersunk them into a set of kids downhill ski's I found at Goodwill..... for $5 bucks BTW!

I set the tub dirrectly the ski's. No spacers. It didn't have any flex. But the board I put in the bottom did stiffen it considerably.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2017, 12:35 PM »
Interesting, looking good..

I run a 5lb tank under my bench too..

<°)))>{

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2017, 12:47 PM »
How fast will it go?

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2017, 12:52 PM »
I like it
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2017, 01:01 PM »
consider that the tub is going to be dragging in the snow, the supports keep the tub out of the snow
nice design. keeping things organized

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2017, 01:01 PM »
How fast will it go?

Depends on the fuel I'm running on. If it's beans, I would say the speed of smell!

consider that the tub is going to be dragging in the snow, the supports keep the tub out of the snow
nice design. keeping things organized

For deep snow, I figure on setting it up on a sled I have for pulling behind the snowmobile.  The main reason for the ski's is to keep from wearing the tub when pulling across bare pavement.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2017, 01:11 PM »
thanks!

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2017, 05:30 AM »
Just getting started on it again. Made pattern out of two scrap pieces of 1/4". Traced pattern onto new sheet.

Rip cut 2x4... 1" wide x 3/4" and nailed and glued to bottom of deck. Add strength and add some meat for hinges. Plus give something to glue and nail dividers to.

Used a piece of cardboard to make a template for curvature of tub. Fits pretty good.

More later. With below zero temps, I'm feeling the pressure to get it done.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:21 AM »
More progress today. Will be done tomorrow.

Added a little reinforcement under the deck. Just enough to stiffen it, but not so much as to add weight.

I then covered the deck and doors with black truck tarp. 14 oz material I think. Glued it on with 3M spray adhesive. It was tough to work with. I suggest using HH-66 vinyl adhesive. Much better bond. The tarp does not like to bend 180 degrees and likes to pull up around the edges. This is do to the spray adhesive not holding good enough. Had to use a heat gun to mold the tarp and cure the glue.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:59 AM »
Nice job! I had a thread that was Rover 1 mods on here and a guy from Huntington had one too with mods. Mine is not good anymore thanks to photobucket. Not sure about his. I think his screen name was TType86
Fish on!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:30 AM »
guessing you machine pull? any idea how much more weight it will have when your done or are you going to measure it when it's done?
partitions are next?

Nice job! I had a thread that was Rover 1 mods on here and a guy from Huntington had one too with mods. Mine is not good anymore thanks to photobucket. Not sure about his. I think his screen name was TType86
i might be able to fix it for you. shoot me a pm with the link and i'll see if i still can. it's a lot of work, but i don't mind (kind of a "in your face" to photobucket thing). you have to screen capture each image and then save the op and insert the photos one by one.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:38 AM »
I just moved mine from the basement to the car last night. the only mods that I had on it was I added hyfax runners, a plastic stadium seat and a tow rope with eyebolts. I couldn't believe how heavy  and difficult it was to move. seemed to be a lot heavier than when it was all in the box. Maybe i'm just getting older?

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:17 PM »
guessing you machine pull? any idea how much more weight it will have when your done or are you going to measure it when it's done?
partitions are next?
i might be able to fix it for you. shoot me a pm with the link and i'll see if i still can. it's a lot of work, but i don't mind (kind of a "in your face" to photobucket thing). you have to screen capture each image and then save the op and insert the photos one by one.

No. Hand pull. It only added about 12 or 13 pounds tops. 1/4 plywood. Only using one divider for the rod box. Also 1/4 inch.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2017, 01:06 PM »
Very cool, and thought out.. Not wrong by any means but from perspectives, mine is set up total opposite...

Everything comes out, except the aluminum bracket for the heater. Which is mounted only on the sides, no holes in the bottom of my sled... Easy to clean out (spilled coffee or whatever)(no house for mouse)...

When traveling, the rest of the floor space is taken up with a milk crate (keeps stuff contained, off the floor, but breathes and can dry out), two taller five gallon style buckets, and a 5lb propane tank.. I can pick it up easy with the heater, tank, and milk crate still in it..

Looks like this while fishing for walleye, crate and tank under bench...

That minnow bucket (Colman cooler) rides in one of the other buckets with a lid (can save the day and has several times)

<°)))>{

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:04 PM »
Finished it up today. I think it will work well keeping my stuff organised. And won't have to worry about stuff bouncing on my rods and breaking them.

If I ever do it again, I think I will try spaying something on it instated of covering it with material. Something like pickup truck bed liner? Chip guard? Has to be easier and just as cost effective.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.