The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Price  (Read 1155 times)

Offline nightbite

• IceShanty Rookie
Price
« on: Dec 21, 2017, 06:29 PM »
Do you think it matters if your rod and reel combo is 20 dollars or 220 dollars. Who do you think will have more fun. Also what combos do you like.

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Price
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2017, 06:32 PM »
Interested to hear opinions also...I've been fishing with my father's 30+ year old rod and reels. They seem to work fine the very few times I've had a fish on em ;) :'( but I've considered purchasing some new equipment.

Offline jms5580

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2017, 06:58 PM »
I just bought the ugly stik combo from Cabela's for $30. Has great reviews and it's an ugly stik so I expect it to perform similar to my full size rods.

Offline BK_Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:25 PM »
I would say there's definitely a balance between price and value, I have a tuned up custom rod which the tip broke on a pike I was fighting the other day. I cut the tip off and it still works great. On the other hand I have a cheap $10 rod that was my dads and probably 30 years old and continues to outlast everything. I agree with jms5580, the ugly stik ice rods and/or combos are the best deal out there for the price. I also imagine it depends on your style of fishing, if your hauling pike up through a hole just about any rod will do, but if you are finesse fishing light biting panfish than a premium noodle style rod might be the ticket. I am pretty tough on my equipment so I think the ugly stik is ideal, if you break it your only out a few bucks as opposed $100+. Additionally, there was a time when rods played a larger role, but with today's ice electronics and underwater cameras I feel like I can catch just as many fish on a cheap rod as an expensive one.

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:30 PM »
I buy rods based on how they feel and if they will work for a given situation.
Does not matter to me whether its 10 bucks or 40 bucks
Reels are different, the drag has to work. I bought my first inline reel this winter, one of the
Eagle Claw graphite looking things, 28 bucks, and it works great.
I rarely buy combos, as they are hardly ever the "right" combo for me.
Part of the fun is making what you have work for what you need
Get bit!

Offline BK_Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:40 PM »
That's a great point Jim F, I now use inline reels for just about everything.....no line twists....now that's NICE!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2017, 09:53 PM »
Knowing how to use your gear is more important than how much it costs. Having said that, I own 3 TUCR combos worth about $400 all together.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline KatJohn7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:16 PM »
it matters more to me if it has a sentamenel value or if  I  think it is a lucky pole

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2017, 02:13 AM »
Knowing how to use your gear is more important than how much it costs. Having said that, I own 3 TUCR combos worth about $400 all together.
I agree, knowing how to use your gear is more important than how much it costs.  Having said that, one of the things I enjoy about ice fishing is that the gear is pretty inexpensive.  It's kind of a redneck sport.  Orvis doesn't sell ice fishing gear. http://www.orvis.com/bamboo-fly-rods .

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:32 AM »
i make my ice rods from old spinning rods.light for perch and medium for pike,walleye and trout.however i do buy the reels.mid range price you do not need to spend  $50.00 on them.besides i am cheep.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2017, 09:02 AM »
Used to buy the small 2 piece spinning rods at K mart when they went on sale for $5,cut the pole right above the handle and glue the 2nd piece into the shaft.Still some of the best jigging rods Ive ever owned.Some guys are more concerned about their gear than their fishing,some of the guys you see with minimal gear and old homemade rods have probably caught more fish than we will ever see.
Dont ask

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2017, 09:08 AM »
Here are pictures of a rod made by a friend using the tip of an old rod, a piece of beetle-killed lodgepole, and two nails.  It catches fish. Click on the thumbnails to enlarge them.

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2017, 09:19 AM »
i got most of my rods for making ice rods at garage sales you would be surprised what you can find for a buck or two.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline CatchDeFeesh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2017, 09:20 AM »
I own a variety of ice fishing poles.  I used to be cheap as a mofo but have transitioned to $30-50 set ups.  The main reason is it's nice having a rod with the ability to screw down the reel and not have to use those stupid plastic stoppers.  I still have some of those and have zip-tied the reels to the rods.  I also really pay attention to the amount of play a rod gives me.  I have my flimsy perch poles and sturdier trout poles with most being somewhere in between since most lakes around Helena allow 6 poles per person and have both species.

Offline Alvin Richter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • elkbone
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2017, 10:38 AM »
I use ugly sticks,& Scheels for they are lifetime warranty if you live around a Scheels ,same with Cabelas........tight line & good luck....$30-$40

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2017, 10:57 AM »
  The main reason is it's nice having a rod with the ability to screw down the reel and not have to use those stupid plastic stoppers.

THis,
 rubber bands and Orings are for other things, not holding reels to rods  :'(
Get bit!

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2017, 11:43 AM »
it seems like the cheapest products just suck ass...and for a few extra bucks you can get into a decent rod for $15 to $20 bucks..or make your own.....reels are a little diferrent...you get what you pay for...I usually fish with 5 or 6 combos... I have different rods and reels and line tests for diferrent sets..depending on what I am using.. if I have a have a  small diver rapala for big bass...I will use a lighter test..my nice pflueger and a medium/light rod...if I am using a big flasher and drop I adjust my rod and reel to what makes me feel comfortable...and if I am drowning a worm on the bottom for a big trout...as long as I have a functioning drag..any garage sale rod/reel will do.....but its Christmas...so if you don't have one...just one nice set up is nice to have...and you can use your reel all yr long...

Offline nightbite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2017, 09:55 AM »
I'm glad that I started this post. You guys have contributed a ton of info. I too have a ton of different equipment. From my ugly stik  to my 13 fishing rod and reels that they make. I also like the new inline reels that have come out. Thanks again for all the input keep it going.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.