New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: first fish of the season  (Read 2421 times)

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
first fish of the season
« on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:49 PM »
Got out with a few good friends. Had one of the best opening days in a long time.  Ran out of bait by 2pm.  4 pike 4-5 pickerel, dozen or so bass with 3-4 hogs. and tons of gills and crappie in between . Buddy lost what would have been his biggest ever pike.  All in all awesome first day. Hope the rest of the year goes the same.  These were the first fish i pulled thru the ice.  hope everyone has a great year this year  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:   

[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline Adkslabslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: first fish of the season
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:32 AM »
Nice day to start the season

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2017, 06:38 AM »
Good start to the season.  Nice fish!

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2017, 06:46 AM »
 Nice work! Were you at your namesake lake? I've been wondering if it's frozen

fordman

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:37 AM »
get off your rear and go find out

Offline hot4trout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2017, 02:56 PM »

There's no pickerel in Round lake so, no.

As of yesterday round was frozen but I don't think there's enough ice to safely fish it.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2017, 04:52 PM »
round lake has only been completely frozen for about 5 days.

Give it a few more days..... The ice didn't look very good out there during that warm up/ rain. Infant, the ice didn't even hold the rain one the surface if that tells you anything.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:23 PM »
There's no pickerel in Round lake so, no.

As of yesterday round was frozen but I don't think there's enough ice to safely fish it.

I did not know that. It seems like a pickerel type of lake, amoung other things

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2017, 06:29 AM »
actually there are pickerel in round lake.....just not the annoying ones and you literally have a better chance of catching a 40" northern then one.

There is redfin pickerel in there. They only get 15-16". I have caught/ seen maybe 3-4 in my life of fishing there ( so 28 years).

Offline hot4trout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2017, 08:43 AM »
actually there are pickerel in round lake.....just not the annoying ones and you literally have a better chance of catching a 40" northern then one.

There is redfin pickerel in there. They only get 15-16". I have caught/ seen maybe 3-4 in my life of fishing there ( so 28 years).

Interesting, I stand corrected. I fish there 20+ times each summer and have never seen one.

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2017, 09:03 AM »

Wow, never knew that. I know last year a few tigers were pulled out of there and over the summer I caught a few white perch. They were only 7", but it will be interesting if that population takes hold.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:01 PM »
Interesting, I stand corrected. I fish there 20+ times each summer and have never seen one.

The most recent one I caught was last year in little round with my 4 year old son.

but like I said, very very rare due to their size they only get....

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:10 PM »
Wow, never knew that. I know last year a few tigers were pulled out of there and over the summer I caught a few white perch. They were only 7", but it will be interesting if that population takes hold.

we caught 14 tiger's there this year.... ALL of them are the stockings from a few years ago. There are NO big ones left in there. Earlier in the year, they were mid 20's....in the fall, we were getting them around 32-34"...

I HIGHLY recommend letting them go if you guys get any...even a 40" tiger is small for what can grow in that lake...and if we keep them, there will be no 45" + ones. I recommend letting the big pike go as well. Not many big breeders left in that lake due to people keeping them....but the ones you get, are BIG. I got a 16 and 20lb girl's this year.

white perch is news to me... That would be bad news there. Are you sure it wasn't a gizzard shad?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:19 PM »
white perch is news to me... That would be bad news there. Are you sure it wasn't a gizzard shad?

Smokin - Oh for sure letting the big girls go! Lucky the size limit on tigers is 30". It would be nice to see the numbers of 40"+ fish go up tho. And yes, i'm sure about the white perch. I was confused when i caught them.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:53 PM »
Dang. That’s not good. Someone must have dumped some in there at some point... just like the smallies.

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2017, 03:46 PM »
nice
retired let the fishing begin

Offline hot4trout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:44 PM »
Dang. That’s not good. Someone must have dumped some in there at some point... just like the smallies.

Not good at all. Didn't know there were smallies in their either...  ???

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:50 PM »
Not good at all. Didn't know there were smallies in their either...  ???

There are... and big ones at that but you can’t target them...

Put it this way, there are many fish in there that “aren’t” supposed to be in there.

Offline Northeastangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2017, 08:14 PM »
Especially in this small water most of those toothy critters should be released. I’ve also run into a few smallies out there but never in numbers, no good on the white perch news though.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2017, 08:52 PM »
I sent the pics and information to the DEC on the white perch but never heard anything back. Which is typical. I haven't caught more since that one day I got in the school of them, but if they develop a strong breeding population, it could be brutal on the yellow perch and crappie. The yellow perch I catch out of there are already super thin. Even many of the largemouth are underweight for their length.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2017, 09:51 PM »
I sent the pics and information to the DEC on the white perch but never heard anything back. Which is typical. I haven't caught more since that one day I got in the school of them, but if they develop a strong breeding population, it could be brutal on the yellow perch and crappie. The yellow perch I catch out of there are already super thin. Even many of the largemouth are underweight for their length.

Now that I think about it, I did catch one white perch a few years ago.

How big was the school?

Most the largemouths there are usually fat...

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2017, 12:38 AM »
Now that I think about it, I did catch one white perch a few years ago.

How big was the school?

Most the largemouths there are usually fat...
I pulled a 21" large out of there that was barely 4lbs. All the perch I catch seem to be super skinny. The crappie on the other hand are nice and fat.
I don't know how big the school was (no electronics), but I was slow pulling jigs in my canoe for crappie and passed through a spot a few times and pulled up a white perch each time.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2017, 11:27 AM »
I pulled a 21" large out of there that was barely 4lbs. All the perch I catch seem to be super skinny. The crappie on the other hand are nice and fat.
I don't know how big the school was (no electronics), but I was slow pulling jigs in my canoe for crappie and passed through a spot a few times and pulled up a white perch each time.

there was something wrong with that bass. Usually when they are that length, and very very skinny like that, they are either 1- Dieing (big bass that die from old age actually keep eating and eating but just keep dissolving) or his gut was full of senkos and he could no longer digest food.....a bass that size and skinny is very rare for that lake, trust me.

The big perch are healthy in there. Some giant crappie also.

Offline Mossy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2017, 02:18 PM »
Nice job looks like fun.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2017, 06:30 PM »
Good start
Master Laker taker.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.