Author Topic: School me on Boots  (Read 8803 times)

Offline liquidonyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: School me on Boots
« Reply #30 on: Dec 19, 2017, 11:50 AM »
I think like with any purchase your going to need to research and figure out what boot would best fit your needs, how you fish, where you fish etc. That pretty much goes without saying but I like to thrown it out there as I don't always practice what I preach. sometimes there's just not enough info available, or in my case I just don't have the experiance or know someone who does.

The last couple of years I've fished with a semi rubber boot with cloth tops, but last year my feet always got wet, either from the auger pulling water over the top of my foot, or from the crappy weather/ice conditions we had last year. This year I picked up some Muck Atric Sports, and some kold kletts for traction. My only concern with these is I like to walk around a lot when there's a slow bite and how they'll feel not being laced up

Offline liquidonyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 19, 2017, 11:56 AM »
Now that I think about it, I'll have a couple different pairs for different fishing conditions.

Depend on boot selection and budget that might not be a half bad option to consider either if you fish under a variety of conditions. 

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 19, 2017, 11:58 AM »
I'm still kicking around in my Lacrosse Iceman's and have had great luck with them for a number of years.  When it's really wet I switch to Burley's and always wear moisture wicking socks in either case.  Good luck finding what works for you!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 19, 2017, 01:41 PM »
I have been using Lacrosse Alpha Burly Pro boots for a couple seasons now without complaints. The things I really like about these are 100% waterproof and that they have an actual sole similar to a traditional hunting boot. The downside to these boots is they don't hold up well if you drag your auger bit across them on accident. Easy repair with shoe goo but it is something to consider.

In general on "rubber" type boots, if your feet sweat - you get cold. The best solution I have found is two parts: wear good moisture wicking socks, these boots are warm and thin socks are really all you need. Suggest merino wool lightweight socks. Also, get some spray deodorant and give your feet a spray down before putting on your socks.
                   needs to be antiperspirant to work deodorant just make them smell better

Offline lovetofishnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 19, 2017, 03:05 PM »
For a same price, would you buy the Cabela's Trans Alaska Boot or the Baffin Shackleton Boot?

Offline ojibwa6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 19, 2017, 04:30 PM »
I've got the Baffin shackletons and couldn't be more pleased. As I've gotten older couldn't keep my toes warm. Since I've had these no problem on the ice. Kind of bulky but very comfortable.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 19, 2017, 06:04 PM »
Can't drive with my Baffin either, I wear other shoes sometimes crocks, slide on and off easy

Offline buckskinner14530

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 19, 2017, 06:23 PM »
i have the new muck ice boots good to -60 so far to warm to ware even on days in the teens if you do any walking.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #38 on: Dec 19, 2017, 06:39 PM »
For ice fishing I use a different strategy in boots. Several seasons ago I got some Neos Stablicer overboots & continue to use them today. I just wear comfortable shoes & good socks that feel great when driving then slip the overboots on at the lake- no need for adding chains/spikes for traction as their built in, waterproof & insulated. Then just kick ‘em off when leaving and back to lightweight driving shoes for the drive home. I wear size 15’s and the 3XL work great for me, warm & plenty of grip + the cost was right.
https://www.overshoesneos.com

I own the Neos Stabilicers also.  They are very warm and you get ice traction with the boot.  The only problem I have with them is, when I drill holes, I like to flush it and this dumps water on my boots.  These are NOT waterproof, like they say they are, unless I got a faulty pair.  Other than that, they are great.  Get back to the truck, slip them off, and drive home in my tennis shoes.   

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 19, 2017, 06:55 PM »
sorels al the way  ;)

Offline aaron.ticknor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 19, 2017, 09:55 PM »
                   needs to be antiperspirant to work deodorant just make them smell better

Good catch - yes antiperspirant! Works really well!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 20, 2017, 06:18 AM »
I think I have the coldest feet in the north east. I relate this to crap for circulation and what I label as DID-DID, damned if I do and damned if I don't.
Damned if I boot up too warm before hitting the ice and my feet sweat. I have tried everything from moisture whicking socks plus the best wool over them to electric and even the disposable toe warmers. Wet socks is my dreaded killer and wet from either outside or inside will ruin a nice fishing day.

My ice boots are LaCross Ice Kings. Great boots and very warm if done right. Since I can't drive with them I have to put them on when I get to the ice. As long as my feet remain dry inside I am good. I take a size 9 and bought 11s so I have plenty of room for socks, some breathing space and movement so I don't cut off what little circulation I do have. Rubber bottoms on the Ice Kings is a must where ever there is slush on the ice. Since I only wear them on the ice I bought a pack of Kold Cutter ice screws designed for studding ATV and MC tires and have no need for creepers.

For hunting on a stand I wear Rocky Bear Claws and carry in a pair of over boot camo boot blankets that I put on when I get situated in my stand. Love them but they are a PITA to carry in and put on and take off and you can't walk in them.

Mickey's do not work for me at all and Lord knows I have tried them in both black and white and commercial and military grades. Cold feet have been a curse for me but my best fishing buddy could wear sneakers and his feet never get cold. There is a good side to all of this. After a season on the ice and dragging around 5 pound weights on my feet my legs are pretty buff.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #42 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:25 AM »
For a same price, would you buy the Cabela's Trans Alaska Boot or the Baffin Shackleton Boot?

Honestly, I don't think you'd go wrong with either of those.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 20, 2017, 10:07 AM »
Mickey's... Black or White.

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Uglymug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 20, 2017, 06:58 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys.

Right now I'm thinking I just need to go to a store and try some on. Right now I'm leaning towards pac boots for breathability reasons. Though the weight of the rubber boots is sure tempting.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 20, 2017, 07:42 PM »
I have Baffin Titans -- they're bulky, but my feet are never cold.  Not the best for any hiking, but for standing on the ice or even 6" of slush all day, they're amazing.

Yup!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:43 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys.

Right now I'm thinking I just need to go to a store and try some on. Right now I'm leaning towards pac boots for breathability reasons. Though the weight of the rubber boots is sure tempting.
Its always a personal choice, just remember the two important factors , dry socks + dry boots = happy feet!
good luck

Offline fishonthebrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 21, 2017, 06:00 AM »
I've had Baffins for 5 years. First pair of boots I've owned that keep my feet warm.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:16 AM »
 Went from Mickey's to NEOS Stableicers  three years ago will never go back, lite and warm. P.S. I don't just fish only in the Banana Belt of Nebraska.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:26 AM »
My buddy who guides in Yellowstone in Winter swears by his LaCrosse. I've had some Cabela's Trans Alaska but they were so heavy and clunky I passed them on. Baffin makes a line for polar expeditions but they're around $500 a pair. Nobody has mentioned Steger Mukluks which are also popular on those polar expeditions and are very toasty plus very light weight. They're quick death on glare ice but in snow they sure keep your feet warm.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline 1750outfiterss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:39 AM »
Great post. Helped me decide to set the hook on a pair of Baffin Impacts from Cabelas on sale $175 & free                     shipping Thanks Guys :clap: :clap: :icefish:
Aquatic Species Relocation Engineer 
I only fish twice a week
Once for 3 and
once for four

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #51 on: Dec 21, 2017, 11:44 AM »
Great post. Helped me decide to set the hook on a pair of Baffin Impacts from Cabelas on sale $175 & free                     shipping Thanks Guys :clap: :clap: :icefish:

Nice buy, congrats.

Offline Johnnyed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:07 PM »
Baffin said only boot to wear I've had em for 3 seasons now feet never get cold

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:22 PM »
I have had my LaCrosse Ice King boots for many years. Probably 25 years or so. I have replaced the pacs many times but the boots keep going. Like my Vexilar FL-8 I sometimes wish they would crap out so I could look at something new but like an old friend they have never let me down.

Waterproof as all get out.

They have a 10mm pac. Others have a 3/8" or 9mm pac. The 10mm is just enough more insulation.

Like most of the boots made for extreme cold they are a bit too clunky for driving. I wear lighter boots or shoes and change before heading out on the ice.

Whatever boots you are looking at make sure they have insulation in the bottom of the sole. As was mentioned make sure they will fit with your chosen sock. You do not want them tight. With my Ice Kings I can wear any sock I please and my feet will still be warm. I have been out for a 12 hour day in below zero weather and never had to worry about my boots.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:29 PM »
This is basic physics....

The ice your feet are in contact with is sucking the warmth from your feet right into the ice via conduction. You need as thick soles of the boots as possible, to put as much material blocking the flow of heat from your feet to the ice as still allows you to walk in them.

And meanwhile wind is whipping away the warmth from everything above your feet bottoms via convection. You need thick, well-insulated material around the ankle/calves also. And in terms of ice fishing, need something on your feet that is reasonably water proof, durable, comfortable, and has good traction.

For me that's been the Sorel Glacier Extreme boots...huge thick rubber soles, 13mm felt reflective inner boot, etc. Feet never even feel like you're outdoors. People going to the arctic wear them for a reason.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 21, 2017, 11:08 PM »
I tend to be frugal with money and I bought these.  They worked very well made in the USA.  No complaints at all

https://chinookfootwear.com/product-detail/badaxe-st.html

I don't like what I see at the bottom of their contact us page...

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:42 AM »
Chinook Asia, is directly connected with China, their boots are not USA made, although, that doesn't mean they are bad, the price is right...

My boots are made in Portland Oregon...

Danner Boots...(for the other three off seasons)

Mtn. Light

<°)))>{

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 22, 2017, 08:32 AM »

The ice your feet are in contact with is sucking the warmth from your feet right into the ice via conduction. You need as thick soles of the boots as possible, to put as much material blocking the flow of heat from your feet to the ice as still allows you to walk in them.

And meanwhile wind is whipping away the warmth from everything above your feet bottoms via convection. You need thick, well-insulated material around the ankle/calves also. And in terms of ice fishing, need something on your feet that is reasonably water proof, durable, comfortable, and has good traction.

For me that's been the Sorel Glacier Extreme boots...huge thick rubber soles, 13mm felt reflective inner boot, etc. Feet never even feel like you're outdoors. People going to the arctic wear them for a reason.

(Image removed from quote.)

Is that upper material waterproof?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 22, 2017, 09:09 AM »
you mean were is says waterproof?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #59 on: Dec 22, 2017, 09:56 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

https://www.facebook.com/FishUSA/videos/10155844372419870/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.