Author Topic: Is something like this actually used in some places?  (Read 2491 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Is something like this actually used in some places?
« on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:48 PM »
Can't remember where I got it from. Maybe here somewhere?

Seems like it would be the ticket for iffy ice as long as the ice is smooth or the snow isn't too deep or uneven.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Is something like this actually used in some places?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:49 PM »
My places!

<°)))>{

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:51 PM »
My places!

<°)))>{

Is that your picture? Looks like Erie then?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:53 PM »
Last season..

I really didn't want to be alone, but I inevitably was..

<°)))>{

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:54 PM »
Still see them around the Mississippi backwaters once in a while but airboats are more popular these days.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2017, 10:00 PM »
but airboats are more popular these days.

So is money! Lol...

Boat, motor, and trailer... $300...needed some work, sold the trailer for $100.. Swapped the 3hp, for a 13hp...

Nothing fast but it beats walking ten miles out, ten in, three guys and gear, two shantys..

<°)))>{

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2017, 10:08 PM »
I think it's pretty cool! Poorman"s airboat?

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2017, 11:37 PM »
Where do you keep the oars?   Kookie man!
Thread killer

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2017, 12:19 AM »
Very cool!!! And the piece of mind of getting in a boat to hit the lake, just seems right. We have a fellow on lake Poygan in central Wisconsin with one. I thought it was the only one in existence until I saw scratchers on here ;D :o

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2017, 06:14 AM »
I really like the look of that thing. Looks like something one of those Russian back yard engineers would come up with. How's wear and tear on the bottom? Would to pay to put it up on skis?
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:40 AM »
Here is a video of it...

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:41 AM »
Would to pay to put it up on skis?

It has aluminum runners on the bottom, welded on about two inches tall, and 1.5 wide, capped with stainless...

<°)))>{

Offline Bumski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2017, 04:19 PM »
I saw one for sale not to long ago.....Seriously  ;D
Scratchers used to quite popular in my neck of the woods..........
The flatbottom usually sat it a steel frame so you could use in in open water......most of the ones around here used a Briggs and Stratton motor.....
Rode like a rock but worked well.....

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2017, 04:36 PM »
I like em, not much use for them in my country but still an interesting machine.
Westerner by birth, Canadian by law, Albertan by the grace of God.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2017, 06:30 PM »
Here is a video of it...

<°)))>{

Awesome!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:29 PM »

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:48 PM »
This is funny, I don't know the guys that made this video, I only knew about it because a friend saw it on you tube, and told me I was in it.. Lol...

First couple minutes are highlights, but my boat shows up again around 12:10...

When lake Erie freezes like that, you can see just about anything on the ice.. Including airplanes...lol..

<°)))>{

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:52 PM »
With it being a boat and all, what happens if you hit a thin spot and drop through! Serious question, intriguing concept.

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:11 AM »
With it being a boat and all, what happens if you hit a thin spot and drop through! Serious question, intriguing concept.

I was kind of curious the same thing. What do you do if you hit a thin spot and break through? Your just stuck sitting there in the middle of the lake? Obviously you would not want to get out of the boat to try to pull the boat out of the water. Does the drive work to propel you out of the water or are you just stuck sitting there?
Come on fish!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:04 AM »
That's what oars are for?

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:19 AM »
geez, scratcher, unless that   video is jimmied, you,re doing pretty good clip. a running man couldn,t keep up. wish we were allowed to use motors here in pa. oh well, guess the lacrosse express is it. wire

Chute82

« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:25 AM »
geez, scratcher, unless that   video is jimmied, you,re doing pretty good clip. a running man couldn,t keep up. wish we were allowed to use motors here in pa. oh well, guess the lacrosse express is it. wire

I often wonder if you could use it in PA..if registered as a boat and has 20hp and or less... but I’m sure in PA if they couldn’t get you for that they find another violation

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:04 AM »
I was kind of curious the same thing. What do you do if you hit a thin spot and break through? Your just stuck sitting there in the middle of the lake? Obviously you would not want to get out of the boat to try to pull the boat out of the water. Does the drive work to propel you out of the water or are you just stuck sitting there?

You live!!
Catching Any?

Offline Bumski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2017, 08:12 AM »
On the river here the oldtimers always had a Halberd type spike-hook on a 10ft long pole.....I had 1 myself for fishing the open water below the dams in the winter for Walleye.....
You would drag the boat and motor across the thick ice to the edge,get in the boat and push with the pike to the water.....when we were ready to go we would motor as far as possible onto the ice and then use the hook to pull the boat to thicker ice.........
Worked like a charm.....the scratchers would do the same if they went through.....

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2017, 08:33 AM »
ice scratcher I'm thinking about building one when I get ahold of a 10ft flatbottom.ive got engines and clutches laying around.was wondering what gearing you went with starting with clutch to jackshaft sprocket teeth,then sprocket teeth to final drive.im going to mount my drive wheel to a old trailer hub/spindle and weld rebar that's sharpened to my metal disk drive wheel.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:00 PM »

I've only gone through twice, both times I hopped out and pulled it up..  I think it would eventually sink/swamp if left in.. Has some holes, it was whooped on before I got it.. I think they used it for an uphill firewood hauling sled or something in the past.. Using a truck or similar to drag loads up a steep hill, because I know it didn't get like that from fishing or trapping..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:11 PM »
ice scratcher I'm thinking about building one when I get ahold of a 10ft flatbottom.ive got engines and clutches laying around.was wondering what gearing you went with starting with clutch to jackshaft sprocket teeth,then sprocket teeth to final drive.im going to mount my drive wheel to a old trailer hub/spindle and weld rebar that's sharpened to my metal disk drive wheel.

I'm not near it at the moment, but a couple things about mine...

It's not homemade, they were made in Wisconsin by a company. Brass plate on mine says Scratcher Products Co. Stoddard WI...

Original engine was a 3hp Briggs, was belt drive from clutch to jack shaft...

Ended up going full chain when I swapped the 3hp (iron) to a harbor freight Honda clone 13hp, aluminum, weighs about the same, if more not much....

Number of teeth on the sprockets I'll have to count, don't remember them...

Although, it went about 14mph, with the old 3hp, it only goes 15mph, with the new 13hp, so I could possibly use a taller gear somewhere.. I know I have the horses, just getting the hooves to the ground is another thing...

<°)))>{

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2017, 02:13 PM »
id be fine with 14 mph.probably smaller sprocket on the end drive or bigger on the back side off the jackshaft would gain some speed but I was just wondering what your gearing is for a starting point.so damn cool tho bud!!

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2017, 01:46 PM »
When I was a whole lot younger, we used to see several of those on Lake St. Claire.  A few years ago, I saw one for sale at the north end of the lake.  Like a fool, I never stopped to inquire about it.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.