Author Topic: Help with Photo Resizing  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Help with Photo Resizing
« on: Feb 22, 2006, 11:33 PM »
I would like to post a few pictures, and I can not figure out how to make them a little bit bigger in my post.  I read everything in the FAQ section on this topic, but I just can't figure it out.

I uploaded the pics to Photobucket, and I can get them into the post.  However, they all show up at about the size of an avatar picture.  The originals were really big pixel-wise to begin with, and I tried downsizing them on my computer and then uploading them to Photobucket, but the result is the same.

When I right click on a picture and view the "Properties" while in Photobucket, it shows that the size is only 160px X 120px.  I can't figure out how to enlarge it to 600 x 400.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Help with Photo Resizing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2006, 12:16 AM »
i think you can enlarge them on photobucket, not positive though

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2006, 08:01 AM »
Photo Bucket doesn't allow for enlarging.  You will probably have to use a photo editor to make them the right size.  I would shoot for around 400X600 pixels.  it may not look the right size until you post it.  Try a picture here and I'll see if I can help...
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

crowkiller

« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2006, 08:03 AM »
i have the oposite problem i cant get them small enough for avitar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2006, 08:18 AM »
With photobucket I've noticed you are a their whim for resizing 75%, 50%, and 25%.  This won't let you just pick your size and be done with it.  I use a free photoeditor program I got from download.com to do my resizing before I use photobucket for storage.  Most images taken from a camera are around 1200 X 1700 pixels to start so when you try to change the 1200 to 120 you end up with 170 on the other, there is check box on most editor resize screen about maintaining proportions, you will need to uncheck that box and that will allow you to change both to 120 pixels for the avatar picture.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2006, 08:20 AM »
also give the smaller image a number so you don't lose the original... Troutpic.jpg to Troutpic1.jpg

Offline bwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • To fish or not to fish...is a stupid question
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2006, 08:25 AM »
Did your camera come with software for farting around with the pictures.  My Canon came with Zoom browser.  It has the capability to resize the pictures for export.  That's what I've figured out anyway.
The moon is much smaller than the earth, however, it is much farther away.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2006, 08:27 AM »

I uploaded the pics to Photobucket, and I can get them into the post.  However, they all show up at about the size of an avatar picture.  The originals were really big pixel-wise to begin with, and I tried downsizing them on my computer and then uploading them to Photobucket, but the result is the same.

Not a computer geek but try uploading them full size to Photo Bucket and then use the edit feature to resize them there.  I hit edit-resize-50% and it works fine.  It would matter what you started with as to the percentage.  If you already resized them on your computer you may need to try to reload it from your camera to have a full sized image to work from.

Good luck,

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2006, 09:21 AM »
I use a free and easy program called IrfanView. You can get it at downloads.com.

Open the program, Open the picture, click cntl+R, punch in 1 set of size for one side and it will automatically fill in the other side!

Fast opening, easy to use!

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2006, 12:50 PM »
Well, my experience has gone from bad to worse.  When I log into Photobucket now and right-click on my pictures, I do not receive the same options such as "copy image location" that I did last night on my home computer.  Now I get stuff like "print target", "save", "print picture", etc.  Is this because I am at a different computer, and my actual pictures are located on my home computer?

I was going to just post a picture here so that you can see what I am talking about, but now I can't even do that.

I may try the "IrfanView" program when I get home later tonight.  I may not be able to download it here at work.

Basically, what I did last night was upload the photos from my camera to my hard drive, logged onto Photobucket and uploaded the photos there, where they are displayed.  Then I created a new post on Iceshanty, followed the instructions for posting pics and that was it.  When I previewed my post before submitting it, I noticed that all of the pictures were very small.  They are not that small on my computer.

I only ever posted one picture onto the web and it was on Iceshanty.  I had the same problem then.  Here is a link to that post.  Maybe someone can figure out what I am doing wrong.  Thanks.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=26449.0

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2006, 01:02 PM »
your not coping and pasting the image from the photobucket viewer, are you?  you don't want to right click.  there is a img line under the picture in the Photobucket Viewer.  Copy that text, it has the img tags with it, and paste that into your post, then I believe the size will come thru the right way..

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2006, 03:00 PM »
How is this?

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2006, 03:03 PM »
Thanks for your help! ;)  I think you hit the nail on the head.  I could've swore that the picture posting instructions on the FAQ thread said to right click on the picture, select the "copy image location", and then paste it between the "img" brackets.  Oh well, as long as You all helped me get it straightened out.

By the way, that is not me on the ice boat.  It's just a picture I took this past weekend.

Offline bhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2006, 08:31 PM »
I use imageshack. It has avatar to anything larger. If you need help useing it PM me. Very easy to use. 

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2006, 09:22 PM »
Your welcome glad I could help... ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.